Suns Off-season Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am now betting that Ayton stays.
Unless there is a 3 way trade out there to be had? Sounds like the 1 to 1 trade scenarios are drying up. Also, I wouldn't put it past the Suns to tell perspective teams calling.....don't bother with a direct offer to Ayton...we will match it. It's not an easy thing to call the Suns bluff either because you have to be willing to pay whatever you put on the table to call their bluff.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero clue why you guys are ruling out Ayton signing with Detroit. Because they drafted a raw center project… at 13? They took Pennie’s on the dollar for Grant for a reason.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero clue why you guys are ruling out Ayton signing with Detroit. Because they drafted a raw center project… at 13? They took Pennie’s on the dollar for Grant for a reason.
I think it was likely to happen before the draft but they didn't expect to get Ivey and the raw big guy. They have the assets that we'd want but once it stopped looking like Murray was the best they could draft, they are no longer as willing to part with them. Maybe they'll still make a max offer to him but if those guys aren't part of a sign and trade package, I think we'll just match their offer. But I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Losing Portis would be a blow to the Bucks. If there is a way to keep him, I think that is what they do.
Portis took less to stay in Milly last year and he's beloved there. Like Majerle/Hornacek level love.

No way he leaves IMO

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only to throw it out there, the Pistons still have some hypothetical pieces such as Kelly Olynyk $12,804,878 and Cory Joseph $5,155,500, both expiring contracts.

Also Killian Hayes has a $5,837,760 salary.

The Pistons could add 2022 selections or future draft picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portis took less to stay in Milly last year and he's beloved there. Like Majerle/Hornacek level love.

No way he leaves IMO

Portis likely stays but the Bucks are going to have to figure out a way to pay him more money than he is currently making.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portis opted out because Milwaukee has his early bird rights and can now pay him almost $11 a year. It was financial reasons that he opted out, that's it. He's not going anywhere.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only to throw it out there, the Pistons still have some hypothetical pieces such as Kelly Olynyk $12,804,878 and Cory Joseph $5,155,500, both expiring contracts.

Also Killian Hayes has a $5,837,760 salary.

The Pistons could add 2022 selections or future draft picks.

We probably have interest in their 2022 selections, I can't see future draft picks being of much interest to JJ. Of course, that assumes we're not to the point where we'd take anything just to get some value out of losing him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We probably have interest in their 2022 selections, I can't see future draft picks being of much interest to JJ. Of course, that assumes we're not to the point where we'd take anything just to get some value out of losing him.
Can they not trade the lotto picks they just took?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Future draft picks (or the rights to current draft picks) from the Pistons could be added to future Suns draft picks, Bridges or Johnson and expiring contracts if the Nets were interested in trading Durant.

There are a myriad of options especially if a third team is involved.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can they not trade the lotto picks they just took?
Sure but that was my point, they didn't think they had a chance at either guy and the rumors are that they love their draft so much they are no longer willing to trade their selections. There's so much noise out there so who knows, maybe it's just a smoke screen to get us to settle for less? I like Ivey a lot though and while I know little about that raw center, he seems like he might be able to play the DeAndre Jordan role with CP.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I think greed might be a factor. Ayton‘s camp has signaled they want the most money. You don’t get that signing with Detroit.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because I think greed might be a factor. Ayton‘s camp has signaled they want the most money. You don’t get that signing with Detroit.

I hate when guys say athletes are being greedy. None of us here have ever said no it’s ok pay me less money or oh no guys that’s to much you don’t need to pay me that much.

And why should Ayton even trust the Suns. Look at how this situation has played out

Ayton plays great we go to the finals

Suns say well we want to see one more year then we’re gonna take care of you.

Suns and Ayton are killing it best record in the NBA and the trade deadline comes and all of a sudden his name is in trade rumors and the media is saying the Suns are shopping him

You figure if your Ayton you got to be thinking Oh they never planned on taking care of me no matter what I did.

The way this has been handled is amateur hour all day. They should of pulled the trigger at the deadline.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Future draft picks (or the rights to current draft picks) from the Pistons could be added to future Suns draft picks, Bridges or Johnson and expiring contracts if the Nets were interested in trading Durant.

There are a myriad of options especially if a third team is involved.

Ayton + Bridges is to much for KD. This isn’t prime KD anymore

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

I doubt I could find the tweet, and who knows the validity of it, but I saw a report from a Detroit insider that said that Detroit was planning on using their cap space on multiple players as opposed to using it on one big time contract. The good thing is, we will most likely get the answer in less than a week.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt I could find the tweet, and who knows the validity of it, but I saw a report from a Detroit insider that said that Detroit was planning on using their cap space on multiple players as opposed to using it on one big time contract. The good thing is, we will most likely get the answer in less than a week.
Yeah I read something similar. Basically, it said they liked their two picks so much that they were now intending to build around their current nucleus and going to use their money to add a couple veterans. I guess we'll see.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Yeah I read something similar. Basically, it said they liked their two picks so much that they were now intending to build around their current nucleus and going to use their money to add a couple veterans. I guess we'll see.

Found it. It was in an Athletic article:

“The Pistons now move into the next phase of their “restoration” with one of the more intriguing young cores in the NBA — Cade Cunningham, Ivey, Saddiq Bey, Isaiah Stewart and Duren — as well as enough cap space to make a run at a max-level player. However, while all signs have pointed to Detroit making a serious run at Phoenix’s Deandre Ayton over the last few days, that appears less likely after the Pistons walked away with two of the players highest on the organization’s big board. Per sources, Detroit is eager to continue to build back toward playoff contention with the aforementioned young core, and the Pistons are expected to use the majority of their remaining cap space to add multiple veteran pieces rather than just one big swing this offseason, per sources.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton + Bridges is to much for KD. This isn’t prime KD anymore

Yes, I want to keep Bridges as well.

I don't think the contracts of Ayton and Bridges can be combined in a sign-and-trade for Durant but I've listened to so many podcasts it's as clear as mud. Maybe a third team or fourth team could help get it done if that is the plan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hate when guys say athletes are being greedy. None of us here have ever said no it’s ok pay me less money or oh no guys that’s to much you don’t need to pay me that much.

And why should Ayton even trust the Suns. Look at how this situation has played out

Suns and Ayton are killing it best record in the NBA and the trade deadline comes and all of a sudden his name is in trade rumors and the media is saying the Suns are shopping him

You figure if your Ayton you got to be thinking Oh they never planned on taking care of me no matter what I did.

The way this has been handled is amateur hour all day. They should of pulled the trigger at the deadline.
This isn’t actually true. I’ve turned down money to spread among my team because they earned it and I wanted to ensure I didn’t lose any of them.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn’t actually true. I’ve turned down money to spread among my team because they earned it and I wanted to ensure I didn’t lose any of them.

When you can directly control what others earn that’s different. That’s a boss/employee dynamic. He’s an employee

The question is would you hold it against anyone on your team leaving for more money elsewhere

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

When you enter a negotiation with I will except nothing but the max? That speaks for itself. Even as a top employee try going to your boss and say pay me the max my job grade allows. See how far you get. I have been a boss for decades. If an employee did that the discussion is over.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
When you enter a negotiation with I will except nothing but the max? That speaks for itself. Even as a top employee try going to your boss and say pay me the max my job grade allows. See how far you get. I have been a boss for decades. If an employee did that the discussion is over.
This, DA already got the max from his selection as #1 overall and has gotten destroyed by the #3 & #4 since. He is not entitled to max $ just because. The Suns were correct in their assessment that he is not a max player..... no one has offered him the max. Denver has already learned the hard way of giving the max to Porter Jr what a waste of $

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This, DA already got the max from his selection as #1 overall and has gotten destroyed by the #3 & #4 since. He is not entitled to max $ just because. The Suns were correct in their assessment that he is not a max player..... no one has offered him the max. Denver has already learned the hard way of giving the max to Porter Jr what a waste of $
Exactly
Denver is not mentioned in any conversation for any trades..free agents etc....already blew it on Porter Jr. Totally handcuffed and a waste of Jokic.
Do not give Ayton the max!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose