The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Not a shock. That has been hinted by multiple reporters because the Pistons by luck nabbed the two people in the draft on their board.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
IMO if the Suns used Ayton in a more Centerish way his numbers would come up quite a bit. I guess we just have to settle for his above average defense for his size.
Would I like to see him be a persistent fixture under the basket? You bet! But the staff and coaches have him doing other things.
But that's DA's sacrifice if he's with it he will stay, if he wants to TRY to be the head honcho on a ****** team he can do that too.
All his NBA friends are here if it was me I'd want to stay with the guys I've been in the trenches with.
The Very fact that he has many times under the basket alone with a guard on him panicked and kicked it out to the perimater
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
They must have decided to watch film instead of highlights, which is all these media "pundits" seem to base their opinions on him deserving a max. We die hards who see the same bone head plays, lack of energy, skillet hands and passive play on the regular deep down know he is not a max player. Capela would bring just as much to the table for 1/2 the price. I would take that with a much needed creative sharp shooter backing up Book (Bogdonovich) and maybe a 1st from the ATL unless the Durant speculation is real

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Its because he's soft
stays up late
looks lazy sometimes
and fights with his coach.

That's pretty much everything the Suns er somebody put out there.

I just hope DA's too stupid to see what they did.
The suns didn’t put that out there.

Its because he's soft - we’ve been saying that for years now. The suns didn’t have to tell us. Our eyes tell us.
stays up late - Ayton was quoted all
over that article. That was his doing
looks lazy sometimes - see “soft” comment
and fights with his coach - pretty much on display on tv during the biggest debacle of the season.

Weird take to suggest there’s some smear campaign on Ayton, Muggz. All that is just who Ayton is, or what can be discerned by the naked eye.

I do find it interesting that we are hearing that all those alleged max dance partners for Ayton have cooled or are out. Makes me wonder how little all the talking heads in the press really had a finger on the pulse of his free agency. Of course it only takes one…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Very fact that he has many times under the basket alone with a guard on him panicked and kicked it out to the perimater

They must have decided to watch film instead of highlights, which is all these media "pundits" seem to base their opinions on him deserving a max. We die hards who see the same bone head plays, lack of energy, skillet hands and passive play on the regular deep down know he is not a max player. Capela would bring just as much to the table for 1/2 the price. I would take that with a much needed creative sharp shooter backing up Book (Bogdonovich) and maybe a 1st from the ATL unless the Durant speculation is real
I don’t think capela replicates what Ayton brings, but the would be trade offs:

Ayton
+ shooting & better offensively
+ perimeter defender
+ on ball post defender

Capela
+rebounding
+rim protection

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I was so afraid the Suns would be interested in Jerami Grant. I'm glad that option is

IMO if the Suns used Ayton in a more Centerish way his numbers would come up quite a bit. I guess we just have to settle for his above average defense for his size.
Would I like to see him be a persistent fixture under the basket? You bet! But the staff and coaches have him doing other things.
But that's DA's sacrifice if he's with it he will stay, if he wants to TRY to be the head honcho on a ****** team he can do that too.
All his NBA friends are here if it was me I'd want to stay with the guys I've been in the trenches with.

Ayton
+ perimeter defender
+ on ball post defender

Capela
+rebounding
+rim protection
I think that is exactly the trade off along with Ayton being better free throw shooter and more agile big man but Capella is more consistent in work attitude and more mature.

Ayton's lack of maturity really surfaced to the front when he didn't even want to negotiate with the Suns but rather demanded a Max. He has to grow up and realize you got to put in the work night in & night out, that there's only so much money to be distributed or the club is luxury taxed & handcuffed and they too needed to make a profit, that other teammates have to be paid also so the team can be competitive, and that he has to realize for the most part he has teammates that want him back, (there may be 1 that doesn't or there might not be any) and that the Suns are only a real rebounding forward away with a competent back point guard to fill in if CP3 goes down or for a rest, and another consistent 3 point shooter who can create his own shot. Maybe that's asking for lot but that's what it takes.
We made it to Finals a year ago 2021. We ran through the regular season in 2022 like we owned the league, and it can be repeated if we stay focus, humble & hungry, and mature and not let the wheels fall off like 2022 playoffs with Dallas.
Will 4 year @ $100 Million work for Ayton if he sees he's not going to be Maxed or will the Suns give him 4 years @ $131 that other teams can? Or is Ayton so butt hurt now and takes that 1 year at what $16 Million and become a unrestricted agent? Or maybe some team gives him the 4 year Max and Suns settle for sign & trade or let him walk. The waiting is almost over.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is exactly the trade off along with Ayton being better free throw shooter and more agile big man but Capella is more consistent in work attitude and more mature.

Ayton's lack of maturity really surfaced to the front when he didn't even want to negotiate with the Suns but rather demanded a Max. He has to grow up and realize you got to put in the work night in & night out, that there's only so much money to be distributed or the club is luxury taxed & handcuffed and they too needed to make a profit, that other teammates have to be paid also so the team can be competitive, and that he has to realize for the most part he has teammates that want him back, (there may be 1 that doesn't or there might not be any) and that the Suns are only a real rebounding forward away with a competent back point guard to fill in if CP3 goes down or for a rest, and another consistent 3 point shooter who can create his own shot. Maybe that's asking for lot but that's what it takes.
We made it to Finals a year ago 2021. We ran through the regular season in 2022 like we owned the league, and it can be repeated if we stay focus, humble & hungry, and mature and not let the wheels fall off like 2022 playoffs with Dallas.
Will 4 year @ $100 Million work for Ayton if he sees he's not going to be Maxed or will the Suns give him 4 years @ $131 that other teams can? Or is Ayton so butt hurt now and takes that 1 year at what $16 Million and become a unrestricted agent? Or maybe some team gives him the 4 year Max and Suns settle for sign & trade or let him walk. The waiting is almost over.

Some other teams had a lot to do with putting the Suns and even Ayton in this position.

Deandre Ayton's camp expected a max extension much like several players of the 2018 draft class received such as Luka Doncic, Trae Young, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Mikal Porter Jr.

Of course Luka is on another level but an argument could be made that Ayon is right there with the other players. IMO, Ayton is more deserving than Michael Porter Jr.

It's not surprising the #1 pick wanted a max extension like the other players especially when he shared the stage and conceivably gave up individual stats for the sake of the team. He shared the stage with Chris Paul, Devin Booker and Mikal Bridges.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@big al

The Suns will have to match a max offer if they are to keep Ayton unless they receive a sign-and-trade offer that blows them away.

It's hard to see the Suns receiving fair value in a sign-and-trade unless they put less value on the center position.

I believe the Suns should keep Ayton unless bridges have been burned.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

Ayton
+ perimeter defender
+ on ball post defender

Capela
+rebounding
+rim protection
this + Defender crap is BS - opposing centers always seem to have career nights against the Suns. His perimeter D always lead to 2nd chance points as he would just stand out at the arc watching instead of going down and crashing the boards after a shot was taken. He is either stupid or lazy but i suspect both

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this + Defender crap is BS - opposing centers always seem to have career nights against the Suns. His perimeter D always lead to 2nd chance points as he would just stand out at the arc watching instead of going down and crashing the boards after a shot was taken. He is either stupid or lazy but i suspect both
No it's not. He is clearly a plus defender on nights he is putting forth effort. The issue is he doesn't always put in the effort.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Just so I understand you correctly: Ayton sacrifices his growth and development for the betterment of the team, watches his peers get max contracts, but is selfish because he wanted to get paid his worth? I’m sure you handled your last job negotiation the same

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
However we got here, this is good news for the Suns. They now hold the negotiating advantage with Ayton, and it's up to Ayton to decide either to mend fences or to gamble on the one-year escape contract. Most likely he'll choose the former. The Suns will get pretty much the same player they already had, and it will be for a huge contract, but it won't be for such a huge contract that it becomes a crippling outlier.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although nothing can be made official as of now, hopefully the Suns and Ayton's camp have already laid the groundwork for a compromise contract and it will be completed when restricted free agency opens.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although nothing can be made official as of now, hopefully the Suns and Ayton's camp have already laid the groundwork for a compromise contract and it will be completed when restricted free agency opens.

Even if he’s resigned I still think he gets moved at the deadline no matter how he plays.

Suns had the best record in the NBA and he was playing great and they still tried to move him last year.

This is about money

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if he’s resigned I still think he gets moved at the deadline no matter how he plays.

Suns had the best record in the NBA and he was playing great and they still tried to move him last year.

This is about money

Hopefully the two sides can compromise on years and money. If Ayton plays well, it will be very hard to trade him later.

I wish the Suns were working on a way to add John Collins to play beside him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

This is about money
Yes, it is about money... and always has been. Because the boob in charge counts every penny and will do anything to keep from being locked into any commitments that could veer anywhere near tax territory.

Nevermind that when the cap inevitably goes up in a couple years, any contracts signed now will essentially be a bargain. But Sarver never thinks ahead more than the next season.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its because he's soft
stays up late
looks lazy sometimes
and fights with his coach.

That's pretty much everything the Suns er somebody put out there.

I just hope DA's too stupid to see what they did.
Or the easier explanation is that they realize he's restricted in the Phoenix Suns are likely to match an offer for him unless they get a kings ransom return. The other possibility is that they just started watching a lot of video on him and realized is really soft, disappears frequently, and they wonder if that's going to get worse once he gets a giant paycheck. I'm not the one that would be signing his paycheck and I I'm extremely worried about that.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Or the easier explanation is that they realize he's restricted in the Phoenix Suns are likely to match an offer for him unless they get a kings ransom return. The other possibility is that they just started watching a lot of video on him and realized is really soft, disappears frequently, and they wonder if that's going to get worse once he gets a giant paycheck. I'm not the one that would be signing his paycheck and I I'm extremely worried about that.
I'm just saying the negative press doesn't hurt the Suns in any way. Maybe a team or two kinda halfassed go for him. Suns match and trade him at a later date because some Suns fans are way to stupid to realize what they have and cry too much.

Then when we have a team of all guards and realize that's NOT WHY STEPH IS WINNING! You can all come here and cry and ill say "I told you so"
AGAIN
Casuals

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Rubbish. He rates as one of the best defensive bigs in the league and routinely stepped up in big games during the season. It's the scrubs that tend to light him up because he has a bad habit of taking games off.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubbish. He rates as one of the best defensive bigs in the league and routinely stepped up in big games during the season. It's the scrubs that tend to light him up because he has a bad habit of taking games off.

Also I've noticed Ayton is usually good at defending at the rim on the first shot attempt but he doesn't get much help on second and third attempts.

Suns could benefit from a longer, athletic power forward to play beside him.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Just so I understand you correctly: Ayton sacrifices his growth and development for the betterment of the team, watches his peers get max contracts, but is selfish because he wanted to get paid his worth? I’m sure you handled your last job negotiation the same
Its obvious how great he is by all the max offers and trade options presented to date..... nobody wants to offer him the max

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

This is about money
Good, precedent needs to be set. Max $ is for Max Players which he is not. 75%+ of players on Max contracts have no right getting it.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Im cool with DA getting about 20M (Capela $) but he does not have it in him to be a Max Player. Dude has not even made an Allstar Team yet and the want him maxxed? I say in order to qualify for a max salary you must 1st be an allstar

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose