The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So did he stop working hard once he knew a big payday was in his future? The timing of when he lost that and when he seemed to be a lock as the top college prospect is coincidental.

He is also on record asking how players stay motivated after getting their first big contract. The questions of his work ethic isn't something that's been created from nothing..
I've never thought he was lazy nor that he stopped working. But something happens, we all know that. He seems to lose focus/intensity at times. I always hate to speculate like this on a public forum but the only thing I can think of is that he's either burning the candle at both ends or smoking pot.

His teammates and coaches have always praised his work ethic and his willingness to take direction so if it's not what I suggested, I'm at a loss for what it could be.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who said he stopped working hard? Because he plays video games? He doesn’t become as athletic as he is by sitting on a couch eating French fries.
Zion williamson says hold my double Philly cheesesteak while I do a between them legs dunk - on second thought, I’ll just keep eating it while I dunk.

(Again, I don’t think Ayton is lazy)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything to indicate Ayton doesn't have a strong work ethic other than he likes to play video games.
And that doesn’t really indicate anything about his work ethic. Everyone has a hobby and can still be a workaholic. I’ve never witnessed anyone with a stronger work ethic than my father and he still likes to play basketball when younger and then golf when older.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that doesn’t really indicate anything about his work ethic. Everyone has a hobby and can still be a workaholic. I’ve never witnessed anyone with a stronger work ethic than my father and he still likes to play basketball when younger and then golf when older.

There are articles I didn't bother to pull out indicating Ayton has a strong work ethic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never thought he was lazy nor that he stopped working. But something happens, we all know that. He seems to lose focus/intensity at times. I always hate to speculate like this on a public forum but the only thing I can think of is that he's either burning the candle at both ends or smoking pot.

His teammates and coaches have always praised his work ethic and his willingness to take direction so if it's not what I suggested, I'm at a loss for what it could be.
I heard much different about Your last paragraph last off-season. A lot of the talk post-Finals on the radio (and I think even Monty) was that the light really went on for him once CP3 got there… that he was never a first in, last out type of worker and needed to dedicate himself more to the game to get to where he got in the playoffs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There are articles I didn't bother to pull out indicating Ayton has a strong work ethic.
Ayton’s work-ethic is fine it’s the alpha/intensity that he thinks he has but doesn’t. I think the Suns know his DNA and don’t have any fear of him becoming some superstar type player for another franchise. Can he sneak in an all star appearance or two if some guys get hurt? Maybe?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton’s work-ethic is fine it’s the alpha/intensity that he thinks he has but doesn’t. I think the Suns know his DNA and don’t have any fear of him becoming some superstar type player for another franchise. Can he sneak in an all star appearance or two if some guys get hurt? Maybe?
IMO if the Suns used Ayton in a more Centerish way his numbers would come up quite a bit. I guess we just have to settle for his above average defense for his size.
Would I like to see him be a persistent fixture under the basket? You bet! But the staff and coaches have him doing other things.
But that's DA's sacrifice if he's with it he will stay, if he wants to TRY to be the head honcho on a ****** team he can do that too.
All his NBA friends are here if it was me I'd want to stay with the guys I've been in the trenches with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It really boils down to whether the Suns can replace the talent Ayton brings to the table if they do a sign-and-trade.

The odds appear against them.

I do think he will eventually make some All-Star teams even if it is as a replacement.

Ayton played just fine in the 2020-21 Finals. Does that not count?

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At UofA, Sean Miller would award a gold practice jersey to the hardest worker in practice that week. Ayton had that jersey from week 1 of practices to around the middle of conference play. That team had Alonzo Trier, who’s a complete basketball junky, and Miller practices were rough

Ayton’s silly and immature, but The notion that he is lazy and uncompetitive is dumb.
Agree. Watch him during most any game. They have him all over the court guarding everyone defending the 3pt line and the rim at times.
The dude is damn near 7ft tall 250lbs(a lot to keep moving), that's a lot to ask from any player. I think what the problem is there's no real PF to help the man out, DA is playing both positions while Crowder or Cam come in and be all short and shootie.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something was wrong with the Suns in 2021-22 playoffs but I'm not laying the problem at Ayton's feet.

The Suns had two other centers to help carry the load if it were only him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Something was wrong with the Suns in 2021-22 playoffs but I'm not laying the problem at Ayton's feet.

I still think Ayton's agent probably went to Monte during the game and said "you're down 30, my man has no contract, take his ass out".
Maybe sparking Monte to say "you efing quit on us".

But yeah something was wrong, not buying Covid.

Those interviews with CP3 and Book were weird.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still think Ayton's agent probably went to Monte during the game and said "you're down 30, my man has no contract, take his ass out".
Maybe sparking Monte to say "you efing quit on us".

But yeah something was wrong, not buying Covid.

Those interviews with CP3 and Book were weird.

I don't want to get into a guessing game on who did what. It will come out soon enough.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton wasn’t our problem at all.

We were the deepest in team in the NBA and our bench just became unplayable. Cam Payne was a disaster, Cam Johnson was a sniper all season long but once he got hurt he was never the same, McGee went back to early McGee both him and Payne got benched in the playoffs, Craig brought us absolutely nothing.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe they shared an instagram hoodrat before the series and got the clap.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton wasn’t our problem at all.

We were the deepest in team in the NBA and our bench just became unplayable. Cam Payne was a disaster, Cam Johnson was a sniper all season long but once he got hurt he was never the same, McGee went back to early McGee both him and Payne got benched in the playoffs, Craig brought us absolutely nothing.
Monty also looked like he was playing checkers while other coaches were playing chess (making adjustments).

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns are almost even money now to retain Ayton.

You must be registered for see images attach

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
Ayton averaged 29 minutes a game. Just playing him 5 more minutes per game his rebound average goes to 12.

He takes 9 shots per game. By giving him only 5 more shot per game at his 60% average he would average 23 ppg.

Would you take a 23/12 player?

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So did he stop working hard once he knew a big payday was in his future? The timing of when he lost that and when he seemed to be a lock as the top college prospect is coincidental.

He is also on record asking how players stay motivated after getting their first big contract. The questions of his work ethic isn't something that's been created from nothing..
Ugh that's just horrible
You just know he gets the max he's packing it in.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Its because he's soft
stays up late
looks lazy sometimes
and fights with his coach.

That's pretty much everything the Suns er somebody put out there.

I just hope DA's too stupid to see what they did.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its because he's soft
stays up late
looks lazy sometimes
and fights with his coach.

That's pretty much everything the Suns er somebody put out there.

I just hope DA's too stupid to see what they did.

I don’t the suns needed to put anything out there.

People(gm's coaches) see the softness.
See the lazy ayton. (Lapses)
And the fight was seen by everyone.

This stuff is no secret. He made his own bed, said all the crap he said about making it to his next contract, got suspended, and the spout with Monty topped it off. With that said he’ll most likely still get 30M per year.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting.

Is this gonna be Eric Bledsoe 2?

That was my guess during the season.

I wavered on it of late with all smoke at the end of the year.

But, if we are making it 100% clear that we will match the 4 year max that any other team can offer... then why would any team offer him that deal? It is one thing to call our bluff but if they don't think we are bluffing then they're doing us a huge favor.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As for Ayton's numbers improving on another team; I think they'd go way up his first year there, as he is more motivated and focused and his team is focused on making their new franchise big a major part of their offense. But I think year one would likely be the peak of his numbers increase. Barring a coach who really knows how reach Ayton, I don't think he will ever have consistent focus and motivation.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson