Suns Off-season Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I keep hearing about a possibility of Kevin Durant getting traded to the Suns. How would that even work with Ayton and Bridges/ or Cam Johnson, with Base Year Compensation as it relates to Ayton in a sign and trade? Could that even work? I thought the Suns can only take back 19 million dollars of salary for Ayton. Gambo keeps talking about the possibility of a Durant trade to the Suns, but I have not heard them address the base year compensation as it relates to Ayton. Is this even possible?
Two separate trades with the nets to meet the required matching of comp. Would likely require a few additional tertiary players. But I’m pretty sure it’s possible.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two separate trades with the nets to meet the required matching of comp. Would likely require a few additional tertiary players. But I’m pretty sure it’s possible.
The article I posted above said that Ayton, Cam J plus Bridges would get it done. Have not run it through a trade site or looked up the salaries. I guess that is one way. YIKES!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YIKES! This trade suggests giving up Ayton, Bridges and Cam J.

That is an awful trade. That package should net you virtually any star in the league not named Steph or Giannis. I think even Milwaukee would consider it without laughing or hanging up on JJ.

That would get Philly to part with Embiid and Denver to trade Jokic.

If KD were 2-3 years younger or didn't have history of injuries, then ok, but we're talking about 34 year old KD. Plus he'd be demanding a trade out of Brooklyn, giving them less leverage.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would find a taker for Crowder & Craig and attach a 1st rounder if necessary to get rid of Shamet. I do that to make a run at Bobby Portis. After signing Portis, I re-sign Cam Johnson and wait to see if Ayton receives any 4 year offers then match.

As many have said, the new TV deal coming will increase cap and we can rid ourselves of Paul's contract after next year. Use minimums to try and land some depth, maybe some undrafted free agents ala MIA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would find a taker for Crowder & Craig and attach a 1st rounder if necessary to get rid of Shamet. I do that to make a run at Bobby Portis. After signing Portis, I re-sign Cam Johnson and wait to see if Ayton receives any 4 year offers then match.

As many have said, the new TV deal coming will increase cap and we can rid ourselves of Paul's contract after next year. Use minimums to try and land some depth, maybe some undrafted free agents ala MIA.
I’d be on board this plan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is Portis a FA?

Reaction score
Since we don't really see any great trade prospects for Ayton, how do we know the Suns won't just give Ayton his max, biting the bullet on the luxury tax until Chris Paul retires? That they won't agree that letting Ayton walk would be even worse than paying the tax? Perhaps they'll work things out with Ayton, convincing him to quit messing around and earn his money. For all I know, he will grow up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we don't really see any great trade prospects for Ayton, how do we know the Suns won't just give Ayton his max, biting the bullet on the luxury tax until Chris Paul retires? That they won't agree that letting Ayton walk would be even worse than paying the tax? Perhaps they'll work things out with Ayton, convincing him to quit messing around and earn his money. For all I know, he will grow up.
We don't know and in fact some of us have been suggesting that we've always intended to re-sign him. As is the case for most teams and most players, I'm sure we'd consider a strong trade offer but that's never been very likely IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By Kevin Arnovitz ESPN Staff Writer:

Ryan Resch, 29, works in basketball operations for the Suns, where he serves as vice president of strategy and evaluation for the Suns and essentially functions as the front office's chief-of-staff. He attends to the big-picture responsibilities of team-building and runs staff-wide meetings alongside general manager James Jones, who has been a mentor to him.

This past winter, Resch came out to Jones, then the rest of the Suns' staff. He is the first openly gay person in league history to work basketball operations in an NBA front office.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
By Kevin Arnovitz ESPN Staff Writer:

Ryan Resch, 29, works in basketball operations for the Suns, where he serves as vice president of strategy and evaluation for the Suns and essentially functions as the front office's chief-of-staff. He attends to the big-picture responsibilities of team-building and runs staff-wide meetings alongside general manager James Jones, who has been a mentor to him.

This past winter, Resch came out to Jones, then the rest of the Suns' staff. He is the first openly gay person in league history to work basketball operations in an NBA front office.

It’s sad that these “breakthroughs” are only now occurring in 2022. And Clarence Thomas is threatening to do away with lgbtq rights just this week . . . crazy.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Coincidence in timing?

A number of Suns employees have alleged racist and misogynistic behavior by Suns owner Robert Sarver and others in the organization, and the NBA is currently investigating the Suns. Have you had any interaction with Sarver since you came out?

I hadn't seen him or had a chance to talk to him in person for a few months after I came [out] to James and the rest of the organization. My then-boyfriend had been coming to games during that period. When I told Robert a couple of weeks ago, he was amazing. He told me, "I'm so happy you feel comfortable enough to live as who you are, and bring someone special to you to a game." We spoke about Rick Welts. The best part of the conversation was our discussion about how it's the quality of the work that will determine my trajectory professionally in the franchise. It's about merit.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah so now we got two stories in the last week pointing out how diverse the Suns are m

Sarver needs to be gone but nothing is going to happen

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of positive stories recently by ESPN about the Suns hires.

Does this mean Robert Sarver is on the way out or are they laying the ground work for him to stay?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A couple of positive stories recently by ESPN about the Suns hires.

Does this mean Robert Sarver is on the way out or are they laying the ground work for him to stay?

Laying the ground work for him to stay

See he’s not such a bad guy

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laying the ground work for him to stay

See he’s not such a bad guy

Or preparing for the investigation to go either way.

I've read two positive stories about the Suns on ESPN regarding two hires since a long term employee resigned in May.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose