Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but...

We made the Hollywood trade long before we knew who would be on the board at 25 (e.g. Linderbaum). I feel like there's a lot hindsight coming into play criticizing that now. And people would be complaining just as much if we were looking at a WR trio of Green/Wesley/Moore for the first six games of the season.

I didn't love any of the 2nd round OL as compared to taking the consensus top tight end.

Taking two front 7 players in the 3rd round can be questioned though. Taking Dylan Parham or Sean Rhyan over Cameron Thomas would put things in a little better perspective on the OL right now.
I think it is easy to say it is hindsight when in fact, we made the decision knowing we would be without Hopkins and potentially without Hudson (maybe Pugh). Keim made a decision to add a pass catcher vs an offensive linemen. He made a choice. Disagreeing with that choice is not hindsight it is a difference of opinion. Keim said WR and TE are more important.

Is it better for Kyler to have Hollywood Brown vs a competent C? Which is the easier spot to fill or the role that has more options? For me, I would have prioritized the line. If Kyler gets hurt, again, I will be able to say Keim made another dumb decision to minimize the line and set the season up for failure. If Kyler stays healthy, well I can say that Keim was potentially right. We will see.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim probably thinks he can sit down with them and talk them out of it

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think it is easy to say it is hindsight when in fact, we made the decision knowing we would be without Hopkins and potentially without Hudson (maybe Pugh). Keim made a decision to add a pass catcher vs an offensive linemen. He made a choice. Disagreeing with that choice is not hindsight it is a difference of opinion. Keim said WR and TE are more important.

Is it better for Kyler to have Hollywood Brown vs a competent C? Which is the easier spot to fill or the role that has more options? For me, I would have prioritized the line. If Kyler gets hurt, again, I will be able to say Keim made another dumb decision to minimize the line and set the season up for failure. If Kyler stays healthy, well I can say that Keim was potentially right. We will see.
But we made the trade before knowing that an offensive lineman we liked would even be there. Suppose that Linderbaum was selected before 25 (which by no means would have been seen as surprising), would you be happier with Cam Jurgens at 25 instead of Hollywood Brown? It's no guarantee that Baltimore would have agreed to the trade if we were on the clock - especially if the guy they ultimately took was gone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But we made the trade before knowing that an offensive lineman we liked would even be there. Suppose that Linderbaum was selected before 25 (which by no means would have been seen as surprising), would you be happier with Cam Jurgens at 25 instead of Hollywood Brown? It's no guarantee that Baltimore would have agreed to the trade if we were on the clock - especially if the guy they ultimately took was gone.
The trade wasn’t confirmed until it was confirmed. The basics were agreed to, but we could and would have taken someone else if a more highly graded player had been available.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The trade wasn’t confirmed until it was confirmed. The basics were agreed to, but we could and would have taken someone else if a more highly graded player had been available.
The trade was confirmed right after Baltimore made their pick, which was several picks before ours.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am stunned that the Front Office knew about this before the draft. This is on them, not Hudson. And much of the rest of the offensive line is in limbo without long term deals. Terrible.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ARZ knew before end of season Hopkins would get hit with a suspension. There was no reason not to target FA WR's especially when the Top 6 WR's were projected to be gone by #23. Even if one dropped, they should have been a bonus. Had they acquired a WR or 2 before draft then Lindebaum would have been the perfect pick.

The thing is ARZ could trade for OL, pass rusher, CB but they don't have the money and are going to use TV money to pay Murray $175M+ because Bidwill can't throw Kroenke money in bonuses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really hope this one is false. Friend who's a big Raiders fan says that Hudson told former teammates he hates playing in the shotgun so much in Arizona and it's a big reason why he is considering retirement. he was leaning that way in the near future anyways but after all the problems he had snapping from the gun last year he just isn't sure he has it in him to play another year in that offense.

if that's true Keim has to go. If you're going to acquire a C and you know your offense is almost entirely NOT under Center, you better find out if the guy you're getting can do it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Really hope this one is false. Friend who's a big Raiders fan says that Hudson told former teammates he hates playing in the shotgun so much in Arizona and it's a big reason why he is considering retirement. he was leaning that way in the near future anyways but after all the problems he had snapping from the gun last year he just isn't sure he has it in him to play another year in that offense.

if that's true Keim has to go. If you're going to acquire a C and you know your offense is almost entirely NOT under Center, you better find out if the guy you're getting can do it.
That’s kind of a weird deal considering he was reportedly planning to go to KC if he’d been cut by Vegas and they play a ton out of the gun too, I think.

But still horrible work by Keim because Hudson struggled with his shotgun snaps all year.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Except, back in january when kylers agent submitted a contract proposal....they stated it was structured to allow the team to get more players or something to that affect.
Maybe k1 knew brown could be had, and his position was...get my boy and ill play for 10m a year less... dont get him and i want the biggest contract in league history.

We have limited information in regards to what options the team had, what conditions they were working under, and exactly when they got the information.

I would think the ravens were tough to deal with. They have a historically tough front office, anyone with twitter knew k1 and HW wanted to play together....and everyone in the western hemisphere knew k1 was wanting a deal.
Maybe they wanted HW for a pair of seconds so they could add IOL in the first...but it didnt work out that way.

As it stands its up to kliff.
Run heavy offense, 12 personnel...keep the defense on its heels...that will slow down the pass rush enough to get a few pass plays per drive even with a weak center

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Schematically, why would a center hate shotgun any more or less than plays run under center?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s kind of a weird deal considering he was reportedly planning to go to KC if he’d been cut by Vegas and they play a ton out of the gun too, I think.

But still horrible work by Keim because Hudson struggled with his shotgun snaps all year.

yeah I don't think it was just because it was with the Cards it was because he'd never had to snap shotgun that much, anywhere before. In other words he may have hated it in KC too but being on a great team he probably would not have hated it as much.

Again it's apparently a rumor from Raiders sites that my friend heard

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schematically, why would a center hate shotgun any more or less than plays run under center?

What he said was that Hudson hates it because he's not good at it(all the low snaps) but also because he feels the C is harder from the gun because you have to snap it further but still immediatelly get up and block and it's just harder to do. at his point in his career he may not want to do something that much that he's not used to doing. The Raiders didn't do it nearly as much.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap I didn't know this either from the same friend and I just googled and confirmed it. Hudson played 6 years with Raiders, in 3 of those years he took 100% of the snaps.

So last year had to be REALLY hard for him with the injuries and Covid.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Do we know that Pugh was still considering retirement at draft time? I’m asking because I don’t know. With all of this said, if anyone wants to look at my comments pre draft last year, I was standing on the table for Creed Humphrey. Hudson should have never been traded for. I got behind the move one it was made but I still don’t understand why Humphrey fell as far as he did. Was it the lefty thing? He checked every box.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The trade was confirmed right after Baltimore made their pick, which was several picks before ours.
There multiple options at C. You can stick with the "what if" scenarios all you want, but the facts are that there were multiple options the Cardinals could have taken to address the C position in the draft and instead they traded for a WR and then drafted a TE. Obviously, even knowing about the Hudson situation, Keim valued weapons more than the line.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Do we know that Pugh was still considering retirement at draft time? I’m asking because I don’t know. With all of this said, if anyone wants to look at my comments pre draft last year, I was standing on the table for Creed Humphrey. Hudson should have never been traded for. I got behind the move one it was made but I still don’t understand why Humphrey fell as far as he did. Was it the lefty thing? He checked every box.
No but the fact that he had verbalized his consideration should have been a huge red flag for Keim and he blew right past it. Starting LG was considering retirement to the degree he had lost 30 lbs and starting C doesn't seem like he wants to play anymore either but let's trade for a WR and draft a TE after we just paid Ertz 9 mil per year. and before people cape up for 2 TE usage, it was under 30% of snaps last year and the starting C was used 100% of snaps. from a pure usage standpoint, one is more valuable than the other.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There multiple options at C. You can stick with the "what if" scenarios all you want, but the facts are that there were multiple options the Cardinals could have taken to address the C position in the draft and instead they traded for a WR and then drafted a TE. Obviously, even knowing about the Hudson situation, Keim valued weapons more than the line.
Meh the hit rate for centers is extremely low.

I'd rather just sign Price at this point. He's not good, but he's better than probably all but one center in the draft

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but...

We made the Hollywood trade long before we knew who would be on the board at 25 (e.g. Linderbaum). I feel like there's a lot hindsight coming into play criticizing that now. And people would be complaining just as much if we were looking at a WR trio of Green/Wesley/Moore for the first six games of the season.

I didn't love any of the 2nd round OL as compared to taking the consensus top tight end.

Taking two front 7 players in the 3rd round can be questioned though. Taking Dylan Parham or Sean Rhyan over Cameron Thomas would put things in a little better perspective on the OL right now.

Had we signed multiple OL and neglected WR this board would be raging about it.

We prioritize WR over OL and we moan about that.

The only time fans wouldn't moan is if we have an All Star starting lineup, and then we would probably moan about depth.

Kyler has proven he can handle a softer O line with his mobility. He hasn't proven he can elevate a poor WR corp. If the team is going to make a choice between OL and WR they made the right one.

Outside of the unforeseen possibility of Hudson retiring (nobodies fault) the O line is no worse than last year. It might actually be better. And last year Kyler had a 100.6 passer rating under pressure and only had 31 sacks. League best was 28.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Had we signed multiple OL and neglected WR this board would be raging about it.

We prioritize WR over OL and we moan about that.

The only time fans wouldn't moan is if we have an All Star starting lineup, and then we would probably moan about depth.

Kyler has proven he can handle a softer O line with his mobility. He hasn't proven he can elevate a poor WR corp. If the team is going to make a choice between OL and WR they made the right one.

Outside of the unforeseen possibility of Hudson retiring (nobodies fault) the O line is no worse than last year. It might actually be better. And last year Kyler had a 100.6 passer rating under pressure and only had 31 sacks. League best was 28.
You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose