Suns Off-season Thread

Reaction score
Ugh. On the superficial level, the series loss was regrettable but entirely excusable, because who blames players for being sick? In other ways, it was much worse; it meant more than it indicated on the surface. It indicates that for all their claimed depth, the Suns are not deep enough to win a playoff series if Chris Paul is sick and DeAndre Ayton plays poorly. They were lost. They have as many limitations, and arguably more, than the last Finals team led by Charles Barkley. The 64 regular-season wins didn't mean a damn thing. And they have a coach who is not notably good at anything except "motivating" his players. Other Suns teams with fewer wins and less talent have done more.

I think I feel like throwing up my hands. Conceding that this Suns team was highly overrated. And other people want to just cash it in for a carpet-bagging superstar, which tells me I'm probably right.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh. On the superficial level, the series loss was regrettable but entirely excusable, because who blames players for being sick? In other ways, it was much worse; it meant more than it indicated on the surface. It indicates that for all their claimed depth, the Suns are not deep enough to win a playoff series if Chris Paul is sick and DeAndre Ayton plays poorly. They were lost. They have as many limitations, and arguably more, than the last Finals team led by Charles Barkley. The 64 regular-season wins didn't mean a damn thing. And they have a coach who is not notably good at anything except "motivating" his players. Other Suns teams with fewer wins and less talent have done more.

I think I feel like throwing up my hands. Conceding that this Suns team was highly overrated. And other people want to just cash it in for a carpet-bagging superstar, which tells me I'm probably right.

You don't go 50 something and 0 in the clutch as a coach and your only talent is "motivation".

The Suns clinched too early and lost their edge. I don't think they were overrated at all, I still think they were the best team in the league but the injuries, sickness and, especially, the pressure got to them and they folded.

The looks were there, open chances were all over the place against the Mavs but guys were passing them up or missing by a mile. They just gagged.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't go 50 something and 0 in the clutch as a coach and your only talent is "motivation".

The Suns clinched too early and lost their edge. I don't think they were overrated at all, I still think they were the best team in the league but the injuries, sickness and, especially, the pressure got to them and they folded.

The looks were there, open chances were all over the place against the Mavs but guys were passing them up or missing by a mile. They just gagged.

I agree they peaked way to early.

How much of the clutch stuff was Monty and how much was Paul. I would say it was the players

Reaction score
We'll win in the clutch, we'll win in the clutch...clutch...clutch. What I feel sure of is that they over-relied on how great they were in the clutch. The clutch became the crutch. It became acceptable to give less than best effort for much of the game, because they usually got away with it. That should not have been accepted.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Booker is not good enough to be the best player on a championship team.
Booker isn't dominant enough to carry a team to a championship like a Lebron or Giannis have done. But yeah, he's good enough to be the best player on a championship team if the number 2 and 3 players are almost at his level. You just have a smaller margin for error when your best player isn't in the argument for best player in the game - and Booker is not in that conversation.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I am not particularly eager to dump Ayton; but Bridges' defense is so good that given the choice, I would not choose Ayton over him. Bridges is a professional. Ayton...isn't.
Zing.... DA does not pass the eye test. He screams of someone who will coast once he gets paid. Bridges hasn't missed a game ever and takes the hardest D assignment and takes what is given to him on offense unlike Marion who cried about being the 3rd fiddle

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe people here wouldn’t trade bridges for KD
I wouldn't. Mainly because we are giving up a TON of youth between Ayton and Bridges. Plus, our defense would take a massive hit losing both Ayton and Bridges together. I would much rather give up Cam J.

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Mainly because we are giving up a TON of youth between Ayton and Bridges. Plus, our defense would take a massive hit losing both Ayton and Bridges together. I would much rather give up Cam J.
I keep hearing about a possibility of Kevin Durant getting traded to the Suns. How would that even work with Ayton and Bridges/ or Cam Johnson, with Base Year Compensation as it relates to Ayton in a sign and trade? Could that even work? I thought the Suns can only take back 19 million dollars of salary for Ayton. Gambo keeps talking about the possibility of a Durant trade to the Suns, but I have not heard them address the base year compensation as it relates to Ayton. Is this even possible?

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing about a possibility of Kevin Durant getting traded to the Suns. How would that even work with Ayton and Bridges/ or Cam Johnson, with Base Year Compensation as it relates to Ayton? Could that even work? I thought the Suns can only take back 19 million dollars of salary for Ayton.
I think most people are assuming it would be a 3 way trade. It's the only way the Suns will ever get fair value for Ayton.

Euphoria

Reaction score
I keep hearing about a possibility of Kevin Durant getting traded to the Suns. How would that even work with Ayton and Bridges/ or Cam Johnson, with Base Year Compensation as it relates to Ayton in a sign and trade? Could that even work? I thought the Suns can only take back 19 million dollars of salary for Ayton. Gambo keeps talking about the possibility of a Durant trade to the Suns, but I have not heard them address the base year compensation as it relates to Ayton. Is this even possible?
Copying and pasting what I posted from other thread here:
I think as Flex indicated it would be a multi team trade like we would send Ayton and pieces to San Antonio for the +9 pick and Vassell and Poeltel which then get sent to Nets with maybe additional picks etc. I don't think we would part with Bridges well at least I freaking hope we won't but we might lose Cam Johnson.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can’t believe people here wouldn’t trade bridges for KD

I don't see any chance that there is a scenario where Ayton stays and KD comes here. And I reeeeally don't like the idea of losing both in the same off season for an old, oft injured Durant.

If KD decides to force his way here, do an Ayton trade with someone, then use the pieces we get in the Ayton trade plus our surplus salaries to get KD.

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
I think most pe ople are assuming it would be a 3 way trade. It's the only way the Suns will ever get fair value for Ayton.
They talked about three way trades yesterday and did address base year compensation with the Suns only being able to accept 19 million in return. Today they are discussing just a Nets/ Suns direct trade. The Suns would not be able to take Durant's big salary back. I just don't think it would work with the current CBA rules.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They talked about three way trades yesterday and did address base year compensation with the Suns only being able to accept 19 million in return. Today they are discussing just a Nets/ Suns direct trade. The Suns would not be able to take Durant's big salary back. I just don't think it would work with the current CBA rules.
I didn't see any scenarios that worked in a direct trade with any teams. Either the salaries didn't match or the Suns got crap back in return. I have been pretty consistent in that the Suns can't trade Ayton unless it's a 3 way deal.

Euphoria

Reaction score
I want Durant But do not want to give up Bridges to make that happen. Although I prefer to keep Cam Johnson if possible I'd be willing to lose him with Ayton, Crowder, Saric, Craig and picks or whatever it takes with multiple teams and picks. I'm sure they can find a way to get Durant and keep Booker, Bridges CP3 core. Then we address another back up guard and fill in the pieces. Try and resign McGee and Biyambo. for ceneter play but if we have Durant, Bridges, and either Cam J or Crowder or Saric we might play more small ball at end of games. Definitely need a strong guard to take workload off CP3.

Sun Devil Mania

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see any chance that there is a scenario where Ayton stays and KD comes here. And I reeeeally don't like the idea of losing both in the same off season for an old, oft injured Durant.

If KD decides to force his way here, do an Ayton trade with someone, then use the pieces we get in the Ayton trade plus our surplus salaries to get KD.
Yes, I agree. What I am talking about is Burns and Gambo bringing up trades directly with Ayton and Bridges ending up in Brooklyn for Durant. It just doesn't work with the current CBA.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assuming we re-sign Ayton, we don't have a lot of options to improve our roster aside from pooling our expiring contracts together and the tax payer exceptions which is like $6.5M.

I have no idea if there's a team out there wanting to dump a player who could help us for Crowder and Saric.

But there are a few names in free agency that pique. There are slim pickings at guard in our price range, but I like Dennis Schroeder. I know his name is not well received but he is the type of combo guard we need for the price we are able to pay. He's a good ball handler, distributor, shot creator, and scorer who at 6'3" can play on and off the ball to complement Booker and CP3. He can also fill in as a starter for CP3's inevitable rest days. This is a realistic option for us and in my opinion one of our best free agent options at guard.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming we re-sign Ayton, we don't have a lot of options to improve our roster aside from pooling our expiring contracts together and the tax payer exceptions which is like $6.5M.

I have no idea if there's a team out there wanting to dump a player who could help us for Crowder and Saric.

But there are a few names in free agency that pique. There are slim pickings at guard in our price range, but I like Dennis Schroeder. I know his name is not well received but he is the type of combo guard we need for the price we are able to pay. He's a good ball handler, distributor, shot creator, and scorer who at 6'3" can play on and off the ball to complement Booker and CP3. He can also fill in as a starter for CP3's inevitable rest days. This is a realistic option for us and in my opinion one of our best free agent options at guard.
I don't like our prospects much on improving the roster if Ayton is not part of a trade. He is the only player with potential for us to fill a bunch of needs in a 3 way trade. It sounds like they are shopping Crowder but I am with you. I question how much the team will actually be able to improve this roster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Dennis Schroder is an inefficient ball hog who doesn't defend and makes teams actively worse. Midway through the season Boston was battling for the 8th seed, and there were a ton of questions about their chemistry and if Brown and Tatum could function together.

They dump Schroder and immediately became one of the best teams in the league.

I wouldn't take him for free.

I doubt Houston offers him a contract, he will get a one year deal somewhere, that team will be dying to be rid of him before his deal is up. I expect he is a year or 2 from playing in China.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
I disagree. We were two wins away from him being the best player on a championship team in 2021. He's 25 and has improved every season he's been in the league. I think he could get to that tier.
Lol after every team we faced to get to the Finals was missing their star. I dont think Giannis was 100% to start the series either.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
Booker isn't dominant enough to carry a team to a championship like a Lebron or Giannis have done. But yeah, he's good enough to be the best player on a championship team if the number 2 and 3 players are almost at his level. You just have a smaller margin for error when your best player isn't in the argument for best player in the game - and Booker is not in that conversation.
I can agree with this. But this is the prob you cant pay him super max when you need 2-3 other players that may think they are worth the same.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol after every team we faced to get to the Finals was missing their star. I dont think Giannis was 100% to start the series either.

Get outta here with that ****. The Warriors have built a dynasty on beating teams drenched in injuries (often caused by the Warriors players) and no one bats an eye.

Paul was playing with one hand, Booker was playing with a strained hamstring.

We were a couple plays away from the title.