Suns Off-season Thread

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
I think booker is in the Jayson Tatum tier which is around star/superstar.

Of the 6 you listed, Steph is probably the 5th or 6th player you would choose to build around but he has the most rings.

Do you think Booker is not good enough to be the best player on a championship team?
No, Booker is not good enough to be the best player on a championship team.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They traded Porzingis and got better. He averaged 19 & 8 with Dallas and 22 and 9 in Washington.

Again, it's questionable how well Woods will do in Dallas. I'll wager he doesn't meet or exceed his numbers from Houston though. I can't even name 2 other players from the Rockets last year outside of him and Eric Gordon. I doubt many people can, they sucked and Wood was their #1 option.
Porzingis was hurt all the time and the Mavs couldn't depend on him to stay healthy. Now you get a guy who is an 18/10 guy that you can rely on. You gave up Boban who never played, Brown who never played, Chriss we all know about ,Burke and a 26th. There is no question that Mavs are better for it.

Also, I remember a short time ago when Booker was our #1 and we sucked. So, I don't put much stock in that.

Reaction score
The definition of superstar is too subjective to bother with, so I won't; but Devin Booker's skills and career are plateauing. I think he's prrrobably as good as he'll ever get.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The definition of superstar is too subjective to bother with, so I won't; but Devin Booker's skills and career are plateauing. I think he's prrrobably as good as he'll get.
Superstar isn't that subjective. There is only a handful that fit that bill. Star? OK, I agree with you there. Booker is not a Superstar. He isn't on the same level as a Michael Jordan, Kobe or LeBron, Magic, Kareem....I could go on.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
No, Booker is not good enough to be the best player on a championship team.

I disagree. We were two wins away from him being the best player on a championship team in 2021. He's 25 and has improved every season he's been in the league. I think he could get to that tier.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. We were two wins away from him being the best player on a championship team in 2021. He's 25 and has improved every season he's been in the league. I think he could get to that tier.
Depends on the supporting cast. If he has other stars playing beside him he could be (he doesn't sniff the finals without CP3). Also, some of our young players had breakout seasons. If Booker was the only star on the team? Not a chance. He isn't good enough.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Superstar isn't that subjective. There is only a handful that fit that bill. Star? OK, I agree with you there. Booker is not a Superstar. He isn't on the same level as a Michael Jordan, Kobe or LeBron, Magic, Kareem....I could go on.

Jordan/Lebron/Magic/Kareem are in the GOAT conversation. If they are the level you have to reach, half of the guys on cheese's list aren't superstars

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan/Lebron/Magic/Kareem are in the GOAT conversation. If they are the level you have to reach, half of the guys on cheese's list aren't superstars
No, that's a retrospective view. I watched most of those players in their prime and even before all the rings it was obvious those guys were generational. Booker is nowhere near that level right now. He just isn't. He is a very good player. Luka is generational. You can see that now. Durant? Generational. Embiid and Jokic are borderline for me I wouldn't have put them on my list just yet but I could be convinced. I would put Step in there and I would put Yannis in there.

Those are generational players and Superstars. Again...Book isn't at that level. He is a tier down IMO and I love Book.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I suppose Booker could become an even better shooter and improve his defense from excellent (as I've heard it now is) to "feared"...
I actually believe Booker can get better. He is only 25. The average player in the NBA peaks around 27-28.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If book can make them wide open 3’s and close out quarters he could be well on his way to superstar. He’s improved every year and the next two seasons will tell us all we need to know. Prime book is coming.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I suppose Booker could become an even better shooter and improve his defense from excellent (as I've heard it now is) to "feared"...

If he cut down on turnovers and got a little better with his outside shot I think he'd be a clear superstar. His defense is likely as good as it'll get, which is above average and that's good for someone who does so much offensively.

I think it's his decision making that is what is keeping him from reaching that next level. That is something he's improved each year as well so I suspect he'll be even better next season given his work ethic.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker needs to start shopping the 3 better and get better at decision making.

They killed us by trapping Booker. He’s got to see it coming and get rid of it not dribble into it. He’s not a playmaker at all.

He’s a star but “superstar” nope. He can’t be your best player on a championship team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
suns resign Ayton and ship Bridges+ picks and filler out for KD

I’m leaning towards this

No chance Sarver has 4 guys making 40 mil on his roster.

For KD to be here Ayton would have to go... or CP3 but that ain't happening.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have plenty of filler pieces. Add the requisite picks and voila. KD, Booker, and CP3 for the next couple of years. I think we need a better supporting cast anyway, so moving anyone besides those three doesn't bother me.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ayton will be making 25-30

Bookers super max won’t start till Paul’s contract isn’t guaranteed. This is the last year Paul makes big money.

Also your already paying Bridges, Crowder and Saric that money. Your already paying it

Reaction score
suns resign Ayton and ship Bridges+ picks and filler out for KD

I’m leaning towards this
I am not particularly eager to dump Ayton; but Bridges' defense is so good that given the choice, I would not choose Ayton over him. Bridges is a professional. Ayton...isn't.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton will be making 25-30

Bookers super max won’t start till Paul’s contract isn’t guaranteed. This is the last year Paul makes big money.

Also your already paying Bridges, Crowder and Saric that money. Your already paying it
And they’re already trying to move off of Crowder and Ayton.

If given the option I’d keep Bridges over Ayton in that scenario anyway.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Well, if we did somehow acquire KD in the near future, I think it would be an indicator that Sarver is no longer in charge, whether that has been officially announced or not.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And they’re already trying to move off of Crowder and Ayton.

If given the option I’d keep Bridges over Ayton in that scenario anyway.

But you can’t.

Ayton can’t be packaged with other players in a S&T and you can only take back 19 million if your Suns on an Ayton trade. Sign and trades are really complicated and have a lot of restrictions.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But you can’t.

Ayton can’t be packaged with other players in a S&T and you can only take back 19 million if your Suns on an Ayton trade. Sign and trades are really complicated and have a lot of restrictions.

Ayton to Detroit for young players and picks. That return + Crowder, Saric, Payne and Shamet for KD.