The Ayton Plan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Ayton was going to get traded it would have been before or during draft. Not sure if teams rumored to have interest in Ayton picked the players Jones was interested in draft. The only guys I could see involved in a DET trade would be Stewart, Olynk, Bagley & Ivey but I would rather just keep Ayton.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
James Jones insists Deandre Ayton is a huge part of the team.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I must say I am quite surprised to see him respond to that question the way he did - he did not have to respond that way.

Makes me think the Suns actually do want to keep DA. But if he has his mind already made up, that may not matter.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton was going to get traded it would have been before or during draft. Not sure if teams rumored to have interest in Ayton picked the players Jones was interested in draft. The only guys I could see involved in a DET trade would be Stewart, Olynk, Bagley & Ivey but I would rather just keep Ayton.

Ayton could not be dealt before or during the draft. He's restricted. He can't be dealt to a team he doesn't want to sign with and he can't agree to sign with anyone until free agency starts on July 1st.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's thus from Duane Rankin that should ease some minds but I doubt it will...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ayton is a RFA so it couldn't happen before or during the draft but I'm with you, I want to keep him.

Restricted free agents can be contacted by teams during the moratorium starting July 1st and ending July 6th.

If a team signs Ayton to an offer sheet the Suns have two more days to match through July 8th.

Hopefully the Suns make Ayton a better offer than other teams and he foregoes the offer sheet route.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ayton could not be dealt before or during the draft. He's restricted. He can't be dealt to a team he doesn't want to sign with and he can't agree to sign with anyone until free agency starts on July 1st.
Ayton is a RFA so it couldn't happen before or during the draft but I'm with you, I want to keep him.

Restricted free agents can be contacted by teams during the moratorium starting July 1st and ending July 6th.

If a team signs Ayton to an offer sheet the Suns have two more days to match through July 8th.

Hopefully the Suns make Ayton a better offer than other teams and he foregoes the offer sheet route.
Should have clarified, a deal would have to have been worked out during draft and executed when Ayton signed an extension. If PHX wanted Ivey for instance and pieces from SAC then unless DET is third team in deal then no deal with SAC will be done.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should have clarified, a deal would have to have been worked out during draft and executed when Ayton signed an extension. If PHX wanted Ivey for instance and pieces from SAC then unless DET is third team in deal then no deal with SAC will be done.

A deal can still be worked out when RFA opens. If drafted players have not signed their contracts, their rights can be conveyed in a sign-and-trade.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A deal can still be worked out when RFA opens. If drafted players have not signed their contracts, their rights can be conveyed in a sign-and-trade.
So either they like Murray and pieces from SAC or Ivey and pieces from DET unless they both are involved in Ayton trade. That is only deal I see for Ayton but I doubt it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So either they like Murray and pieces from SAC or Ivey and pieces from DET unless they both are involved in Ayton trade. That is only deal I see for Ayton but I doubt it.

Yes, the rights to unsigned draft picks can be included in a sign-and-trade for Ayton if those teams choose to do so.

It's conceivable some teams drafted players for trade purposes in free agency.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the rights to unsigned draft picks can be included in a sign-and-trade for Ayton if those teams choose to do so.

It's conceivable some teams drafted players for trade purposes in free agency.
Point is if PHX wanted a certain player in draft and a potential trade partner did not draft that player then there isn't going to be a deal. Unless PHX is not interested in draft picks in a potential deal for Ayton but I doubt that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point is if PHX wanted a certain player in draft and a potential trade partner did not draft that player then there isn't going to be a deal. Unless PHX is not interested in draft picks in a potential deal for Ayton but I doubt that.

If the Suns do a sign-and-trade with Ayton they are going to look for the most favorable assets in return.

Certain draft picks would be very interesting to Phoenix or another trade partner in a three or four team trade.

Theoretically if the Suns didn't care about the picks, any first round pick would do but I think in most trades, teams are looking for some immediate assets in return.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
What happens if no other team offers a max to DA, either below max or not at all. Would the Suns offer a long term in the 20-25M range. It seems the "media" are the pushers of a max deal. I find it hard to believe that most GMs don't view the position and the player the same way the Suns do. The only True centers in the league that should earn over 30M are the Joker & Embid, maybe KAT

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What happens if no other team offers a max to DA, either below max or not at all. Would the Suns offer a long term in the 20-25M range. It seems the "media" are the pushers of a max deal. I find it hard to believe that most GMs don't view the position and the player the same way the Suns do. The only True centers in the league that should earn over 30M are the Joker & Embid, maybe KAT
I think Ayton is in the mindset that if he doesn't get a max offer, he'll play out this year and become an UFA and hope some other team offers him a max deal next offseason. I wouldn't even put it past him to take less next year than what PHX could pay him just so he can feel empowered by choosing where he wants to go.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the outcomes are:

• Ayton accepts the team’s one-year qualifying, he plays here next season then is a free agent in 2023.
• They negotiate a contract for maximum or less than the maximum and he plays under that deal.
• Ayton signs an offer sheet with another team, Sun's don't match and let him walk (not happening)
• Ayton signs an offer sheet with another team, Sun's match and he plays under that deal
• Negotiate a sign-and-trade if he hasn’t signed an offer sheet with another team.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Ayton is in the mindset that if he doesn't get a max offer, he'll play out this year and become an UFA and hope some other team offers him a max deal next offseason. I wouldn't even put it past him to take less next year than what PHX could pay him just so he can feel empowered by choosing where he wants to go.
I don't think his agent will push him that direction IMO. His QO would only be 16.4 million and there's always the risk of injury or doing something that actually lowers his value (pot bust etc.). Instead he could just accept something like a 3 year deal for 75 Million with a player option for that last year, he'd come into unrestricted free agency just in time to get a huge payday under the next TV deal.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Current DK odds for Ayton's next team

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some more odds on the Suns landing Kevin Durant.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can’t trade Ayton for KD unless it’s a three team trade.

And if the nets are moving on from KD and Kyrie they are probably going full rebuild and wouldn’t want to max a player right away they’d probably want young talent on good contracts and crazy picks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose