blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Wow that's rough and only 55. Such a fun guy to watch, he'll be missed

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So young.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to live in the moment and focus less and less on retirement. Seems like so many people just never make it to 65.

RIP.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So young.

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to live in the moment and focus less and less on retirement. Seems like so many people just never make it to 65.

RIP.
You got to have a mix… you can live in the moment and still prep for retirement. Yes people die young. But the average in the US is 79. Odds are in your favor.

RIP young man!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You got to have a mix… you can live in the moment and still prep for retirement. Yes people die young. But the average in the US is 79. Odds are in your favor.

RIP young man!
This. PLEASE do not ignore your retirement. It needn’t be your primary focus. But we are already facing a retirement catastrophe in this country. Let’s not exacerbate it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This. PLEASE do not ignore your retirement. It needn’t be your primary focus. But we are already facing a retirement catastrophe in this country. Let’s not exacerbate it.
Well, I just got out of debt back in February, and currently don't have the ability to contribute to any retirement accounts, so it's gonna have to wait. But yeah, I know.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

One of the best pieces of advice my dad ever gave me was to setup my retirement deduction right when I got my first real job out of college. Never felt like I was missing out on anything because it always has been taken out before I see the money.

And RIP Tony. Seeing him pass at such a young age makes me nervous as a fellow big guy. I’d like to actually enjoy those retirement funds!

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He ate well. Good Italian food is a blessing and a curse. :)

Enjoyed him during his time on Fox...

Godspeed big guy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, I just got out of debt back in February, and currently don't have the ability to contribute to any retirement accounts, so it's gonna have to wait. But yeah, I know.
I understand the need to prioritize, and debt should definitely come first. Establish an emergency fund next. But don’t put off saving (even a little bit in an IRA - you needn’t have an employer provided plan to save for retirement) too long as you will greatly miss out on the power of long-term compounding earnings. You’ll kick yourself down the road. The earlier you save the more the powerful those dollars.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually a very typical age for an NFL player to die at. There was a study that compared age of death for NFL players to age of death for MLB players. The NFL average age of death was 59.6. MLB 66.7

I kind of doubt the average age of death has gone up since the paper was published. If anything it might be down a bit. That would be my hypothesis.

I personally think it's something to remember when we watch these guys perform. They are literally taking years off thier life for our entertainment. Knowing this, how can we blame them for wanting "too much money"? And take the ownership line that these players are selfish when they want new contracts or take the contract with the most money?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is actually a very typical age for an NFL player to die at. There was a study that compared age of death for NFL players to age of death for MLB players. The NFL average age of death was 59.6. MLB 66.7

I kind of doubt the average age of death has gone up since the paper was published. If anything it might be down a bit. That would be my hypothesis.

I personally think it's something to remember when we watch these guys perform. They are literally taking years off thier life for our entertainment. Knowing this, how can we blame them for wanting "too much money"? And take the ownership line that these players are selfish when they want new contracts or take the contract with the most money?
Great points - many are real gladiators - trading health and life for a few decades (hopefully) of glory and wealth

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ehhh I mean yes and no same can be said for my profession. Our average age is similar. Yet my family will be taken care of if and when I go. I didn’t need the money these guys make for that to happen.

It doesn’t make me feel anymore sympathetic to their 40, 60, 80 or couple hundred million dollar money grabs. Just so they can set up multiple generations of family for life.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

It's the pain killer addictions, and other assorted drugs, after they have beaten their body up which adds to their low life expectancy

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ehhh I mean yes and no same can be said for my profession. Our average age is similar. Yet my family will be taken care of if and when I go. I didn’t need the money these guys make for that to happen.

It doesn’t make me feel anymore sympathetic to their 40, 60, 80 or couple hundred million dollar money grabs. Just so they can set up multiple generations of family for life.
It's all chump change for the owners. Who tend to live a LONG time. It's not even money they have to come up with themselves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose