Suns Off-season Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Eric Gordon thing... He would be useful; but I just am not very interested in focusing on another guard, unless it's a backup point guard better than Cameron Payne, when the Suns need more size and rebounding in their frontcourt. It would make the Suns even smaller.

Especially since having Eric Gordon on the court probably means not having one of the starting guards on the court. No, they can't play in a multi-guard lineup with Chris Paul, because they're all too short. The Suns tried that in 2015,, and it worked horribly.

As far as I know, Eric Gordon does not play point guard. Can anyone tell me my information is incorrect?
Actually, once Dragic bought into it, it worked great until he made a casual comment that ended up tearing the team apart. They struggled out of the gate because Goran hated the change and as a result he'd just stand around on the perimeter. But as they started a long road trip they took a night out together, discussed their problems and promptly went 14-4.

For it to work, both Dragic and Thomas needed to sacrifice a bit of their game and to their credit, they did. Then, Goran responded to a reporter's question about what had changed for them and I think his imperfect understanding of English led to him basically taking full credit for his sacrifices fueling the improvement. Thomas took issue since he was sacrificing at least as much as Goran, a locker room scuffle ensued and that led to Dragic returning to his earlier trade demand position. And this time it was final.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gordon is only useful if we’re bringing back the entire core, including Ayton.

The latest rumor is the 76ers might be interested in bringing in Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't recall all the specifics either but it would have sent Cassell and Horry to Denver and we'd get a re-signed Dikembe. I thought it broke down on Denver or Mutombo's end but maybe it was Stern paying JC back for him sidestepping a rule or two in the past?
Jerry to his credit was a star hunter. If MJ doesn’t come back from baseball Pippen is a Sun:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reaction score
Actually, once Dragic bought into it, it worked great until he made a casual comment that ended up tearing the team apart. They struggled out of the gate because Goran hated the change and as a result he'd just stand around on the perimeter. But as they started a long road trip they took a night out together, discussed their problems and promptly went 14-4.

For it to work, both Dragic and Thomas needed to sacrifice a bit of their game and to their credit, they did. Then, Goran responded to a reporter's question about what had changed for them and I think his imperfect understanding of English led to him basically taking full credit for his sacrifices fueling the improvement. Thomas took issue since he was sacrificing at least as much as Goran, a locker room scuffle ensued and that led to Dragic returning to his earlier trade demand position. And this time it was final.
I just learned something new.

It's just that unlike the Barkley Suns' multi-guard lineups, which were big enough to work (mainly because Dan Majerle could play forward), a hypothetical super-small Suns lineup has been tested only once in the playoffs--and it failed. I'm talking about the 1997 first round, where the Suns unsuccessfully tried to upset the Sonics with a backcourt of Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd. So...I'm naturally skeptical of a hypothetical new Suns lineup of three small guards.

Reaction score
And the 1997 first-round defeat...how 'bout that shot by Rex Chapman?

Past Suns teams that won fewer games have done more heroic and inspiring things than this year's team did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The 2022-23 Suns team needs to play with anger, play with a chip on its shoulder. Basically, it needs to pretend that it's the 1995 Chicago Bulls just coming off a playoff defeat by the Orlando Magic. I have no idea whether DeAndre Ayton could be counted on to emotionally buy in. But...the GM and coach will know.

If the Suns win their first championship in June 2023, it figures that they would win one only after I move away. (Leaving Arizona permanently in March.)

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just learned something new.

It's just that unlike the Barkley Suns' multi-guard lineups, which were big enough to work (mainly because Dan Majerle could play forward), a hypothetical super-small Suns lineup has been tested only once in the playoffs--and it failed. I'm talking about the 1997 first round, where the Suns unsuccessfully tried to upset the Sonics with a backcourt of Kevin Johnson and Jason Kidd. So...I'm naturally skeptical of a hypothetical new Suns lineup of three small guards.
You think we lost that because of our small guards? Seattle was a much better team than us, no way to hide the talent difference IMO. They had Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Sam Perkins, Terry Cummings, Detlef Shrempf and Hersey Hawkins.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2022-23 Suns team needs to play with anger, play with a chip on its shoulder. Basically, it needs to pretend that it's the 1995 Chicago Bulls just coming off a playoff defeat by the Orlando Magic. I have no idea whether DeAndre Ayton could be counted on to emotionally buy in. But...the GM and coach will know.
As long as Booker doesn't tell the world we're on a revenge tour.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
That’s a BS argument

As long as you have a Lebron, Giannis or Steph Curry you can get away with having role players at almost any position
More accurately, post the top three salaries for each championship team - and their team payroll.

Reaction score
As long as Booker doesn't tell the world we're on a revenge tour.
Yeah, I hope not. Booker needs to take a cue from Tim Duncan or Grant Hill--e.g., shut up and play basketball. I appreciate Booker, but...I have to tell you that my signature memory of Booker is him yelling "That's my mother****ing shot!" after scoring on someone. Now Hill....he might be the Suns player whose on-court personality I most admire. Devin Booker can go watch this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the 1997 first-round defeat...how 'bout that shot by Rex Chapman?

Past Suns teams that won fewer games have done more heroic and inspiring things than this year's team did.
We lost the game Chapman hit that shot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s a BS argument

As long as you have a Lebron, Giannis or Steph Curry you can get away with having role players at almost any position
Exactly. We don’t have one of those so we have to build a team that is more Pistons-esque with very good players across the entire board.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good do all the work so Jones can match your 4 year max. Who the hell would want to go to DET especially jettisoning their highest paid player after only 1 year?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good do all the work so Jones can match your 4 year max. Who the hell would want to go to DET especially jettisoning their highest paid player after only 1 year?
You say jettisoning, I say escaping. He's too me oriented and frankly, who wants to pay an inefficient wing 20+ million a year to lead you to a 23 win season? He's a good role player who thinks he's a star, that's a bad mix IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say jettisoning, I say escaping. He's too me oriented and frankly, who wants to pay an inefficient wing 20+ million a year to lead you to a 23 win season? He's a good role player who thinks he's a star, that's a bad mix IMO.

Yeah, but Ayton would need some running mates.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m calling it

Kyrie is opting out and it will be him joining the Suns not Durant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose