Suns Off-season Thread

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don't agree. Suns would have still lost with Gordon. Rest of the team was just not right the whole playoffs, and he would not have been enough of a difference to put us over the top.

I don't think this is a good move, unless it is a Dario + Shamet deal.
With Gordon the Suns wrap up the Pelicans in 4-5 games and forces one of Payne/Shamet to the pine vs Dallas. Our bench was trash in the playoffs.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Go get him!

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah. Barkley was overweight and washed, not capable of carrying a team. Cassell and Horry was a good return considering the careers they went on to have, but they were a bad fit and there was a lot of bad blood from our back to back losses to the Rockets.
I was too young to remember the reaction but I would guess Jerry was lucky social media wasn’t around after that trade went down. Extending the window of the team that was haunting your dreams in previous seasons?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Go get him!

What's so great about him? His stats look pretty underwhelming. Philly has the 23rd pick. We don't have cap space so I'm not sure how we would give them cap space unless the trade is done before the draft when the pick does not have salary value, but that would only save Philly a couple million.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's so great about him? His stats look pretty underwhelming. Philly has the 23rd pick. We don't have cap space so I'm not sure how we would give them cap space unless the trade is done before the draft when the pick does not have salary value, but that would only save Philly a couple million.

He’s a great defender you can never have to many good wing defenders

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obi Toppin would be nice. They are speculating in that article Cam Reddish/Obi Toppin for Jae/Cam Payne

Also...

You must be registered for see images

Interesting that there's only one guy not signed to a Suns contract in that graphic, AND he's hosting. Sounds like McGee might be planning an extended stay.
That would be sweet. Sounds to good to be true.

toppin would be a great PF to build with.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Is there a "Good Shamet"?

His numbers this year almost exactly matched his career numbers. He is what he is.

Well, there's the "good son-in-law" Shamet... which supposedly is why Monty was so insistent on bringing him in. What that has to do with winning basketball games, I have no idea.

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I was too young to remember the reaction but I would guess Jerry was lucky social media wasn’t around after that trade went down. Extending the window of the team that was haunting your dreams in previous seasons?

Well, Jerry only went on KTAR and did an hour of "Talk to the Suns" every week where fans called in and asked questions to him personally (there was also a "Talk to the Coach" feature every week).

I clearly remember the following exchange immediately after they traded Barkley to Houston -

Caller: "So do you regret ever trading for Barkley?"

Colangelo: "No comment."

Jerry was obviously taking all of antics in an effort to get traded the last year very personally.

Every week Jerry would field some calls from disgruntled fans sprinkled in the softball questions from some fans and other serious questions about the team.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Obi Toppin would be nice. They are speculating in that article Cam Reddish/Obi Toppin for Jae/Cam Payne.

Man, if that deal were really on the table, I would jump on it before the Knicks had a chance to change their minds.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got screwed by the league. The first deal Jerry set up was a deal where we got Dikembe in a Barkley trade. Think it was a 3 way deal with Houston. Was supposedly a done deal and the League nixed it.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We got screwed by the league. The first deal Jerry set up was a deal where we got Dikembe in a Barkley trade. Think it was a 3 way deal with Houston. Was supposedly a done deal and the League nixed it.
Yup. May not have brought a championship but mutumbo was a very unique player that could change games on the defensive end. Something that squad had never had. With Jerry’s unrelenting search for a center fulfilled he could’ve done what jerry did best, find all the other pieces. Would’ve been fascinating to watch.

Pretty crazy that the suns . . .

Lost coin flip for kareem
Lost coin flip for robinson
Had deal for dikembe nixed by league
And now are going to lose Ayton.

Suns and centers just ain’t meant to be . . .

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yup. May not have brought a championship but mutumbo was a very unique player that could change games on the defensive end. Something that squad had never had. With Jerry’s unrelenting search for a center fulfilled he could’ve done what jerry did best, find all the other pieces. Would’ve been fascinating to watch.

Pretty crazy that the suns . . .

Lost coin flip for kareem
Lost coin flip for robinson
Had deal for dikembe nixed by league
And now are going to lose Ayton.

Suns and centers just ain’t meant to be . . .
There was no coin flip for Robinson as the Spurs won the lottery. The Suns did move from 7 to 2.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I vaguely remember that. Do you remember the specifics? Why was is nixed?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember that. Do you remember the specifics? Why was is nixed?
I don't recall all the specifics either but it would have sent Cassell and Horry to Denver and we'd get a re-signed Dikembe. I thought it broke down on Denver or Mutombo's end but maybe it was Stern paying JC back for him sidestepping a rule or two in the past?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't recall all the specifics either but it would have sent Cassell and Horry to Denver and we'd get a re-signed Dikembe. I thought it broke down on Denver or Mutombo's end but maybe it was Stern paying JC back for him sidestepping a rule or two in the past?

I also recall rumors of a Ewing trade centered around KJ, but I think this was pre-Barkley.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I also recall rumors of a Ewing trade centered around KJ, but I think this was pre-Barkley.

Here's a quote from an LA Times article that touched on it. It doesn't say the league shot it down but it died for some reason.

The Rockets have aggressively pursued a deal for Barkley this summer. Rumors last month had Barkley going to Houston in a three-way deal that would have sent Horry and Cassell to Denver, and free agent center Dikembe Mutombo to Phoenix.

According to the Republic, the Rockets made a new offer to the Suns last week that added Brown to the package of Horry and Cassell. After the deal was rejected, the Rockets agreed to the Suns’ demand to add Bryant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a quote from an LA Times article that touched on it. It doesn't say the league shot it down but it died for some reason.

The Rockets have aggressively pursued a deal for Barkley this summer. Rumors last month had Barkley going to Houston in a three-way deal that would have sent Horry and Cassell to Denver, and free agent center Dikembe Mutombo to Phoenix.

According to the Republic, the Rockets made a new offer to the Suns last week that added Brown to the package of Horry and Cassell. After the deal was rejected, the Rockets agreed to the Suns’ demand to add Bryant.

I think the league balked against the sign and trade angle of the trade with Dikembe… that it was a way of circumventing the cap. Probably because the league was still pissed how we totally circumvented the cap to sign AC Green and Manning to one year deals with secret handshake long term deals after we got their Bird rights the following off-season.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Summer of 1991.

Particular interest is being shown by the Suns, who reportedly have discussed sending center Mark West, forward Xavier McDaniel and all-star playmaking guard Kevin Johnson to the Knicks for Ewing and guard Maurice Cheeks. Another report said high-scoring forward Tom Chambers could be involved in a package from the Suns.

Phoenix general manager Jerry Colangelo confirms that he had made inquiries about acquiring Ewing.

"If they want to talk, we'd be happy to talk," Colangelo said from his vacation home in Carmel, Calif. "Certainly we're interested." But he wasn't convinced from past conversations with the Knicks that they would part with Ewing.

"My feeling was they wanted to keep Patrick," Colangelo said. "They have to make that decision. We just have to wait and see."

Reaction score
This Eric Gordon thing... He would be useful; but I just am not very interested in focusing on another guard, unless it's a backup point guard better than Cameron Payne, when the Suns need more size and rebounding in their frontcourt. It would make the Suns even smaller.

Especially since having Eric Gordon on the court probably means not having one of the starting guards on the court. No, they can't play in a multi-guard lineup with Chris Paul, because they're all too short. The Suns tried that in 2015,, and it worked horribly.

As far as I know, Eric Gordon does not play point guard. Can anyone tell me my information is incorrect?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Eric Gordon thing... He would be useful; but I just am not very interested in focusing on another guard, unless it's a backup point guard better than Cameron Payne, when the Suns need more size and rebounding in their frontcourt.
Gordon is only useful if we’re bringing back the entire core, including Ayton.