Reaction score
Lightyear

Release Date: June 17, 2022
Studio: Disney / Pixar
Director: Angus MacLane
MPAA Rating: PG for action/peril
Screenwriters: Angus MacLane, Matthew Aldrich, Jason Headley
Genre: Animation | Action | Adventure

Starring: Chris Evans, Keke Palmer, Peter Sohn, Taika Waititi, Dale Soules, James Brolin, Uzo Aduba, Mary McDonald-Lewis, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Angus MacLane

Plot Summary: While spending years attempting to return home, marooned Space Ranger Buzz Lightyear encounters an army of ruthless robots commanded by Zurg who are attempting to steal his fuel source.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So apparently they do explain that this is the movie that Andy was nuts for, which led to him wanting (and getting) a Buzz Lightyear toy.
Nice. I like that they tied it in rather than ignoring it.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Lightyear's controversial same-sex kiss is getting negative user reviews before the film is even released​

I've been critical of Disney for this sort of thing in the past because I thought it was pandering and with no conviction. This has mainly been due to what they did with SW and some of the other franchises where they made it easy to cut out the LGBTQ content for China and the Middle East. Principles only mattered as long as they don't affect the bottom line.

It looks like they're going to conviction though on this one and I give them props for that. From the article:

This week, the movie was banned in 14 Middle Eastern and Asian countries, including the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Kuwait, Egypt, Indonesia and Malaysia, according to the New York Times.

I don't know how big the animated audience is in those markets but a loss in sales is a loss in sales.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lightyear's controversial same-sex kiss is getting negative user reviews before the film is even released​

Pardon my French but F every single one of those countries

Into those sick people who think showing a normal same-sex relationship is pushing an agenda go F yourself. It’s funny how it has been a man and a woman kissing as part of the movie no one would care yes like it’s not pushing an agenda when it really is

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Into those sick people who think showing a normal same-sex relationship is pushing an agenda go F yourself. It’s funny how it has been a man and a woman kissing as part of the movie no one would care yes like it’s not pushing an agenda when it really is
It’s all about archaic and outdated religious interpretation, like it is for most of those countries.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I don't see an agenda on either side, but curious on what agenda you think is being pushed with a man kissing a woman?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took the family to see this. Really good movie. My gosh all of the "woke" stuff was total B.S. There was a scene that was 1 second of screen time. Didn't make the movie "woke" at all. Just normal interaction I see in the streets now a days and like I said 1 second of screen time.

Just another solid Pixar film.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why Toy Story spin-off Lightyear has failed to take off at the box office​

It might not have been as well-received by critics as the Toy Story movies, but Lightyear's 75% Rotten Tomatoes rating isn't terrible and with an 85% audience score, it seems that the people who did see it liked it.

The problem wasn't necessarily the quality of the movie – it was what the movie was. Arguably up until its release, there was confusion about just what Lightyear was. Was it the story of a real-life astronaut who inspired Buzz Lightyear, the toy? Was it connected to Toy Story at all or was it totally separate?

As it turned out, the opening lines of the movie cleared up any confusion you may have had, but the damage was done. Without the draw of seeing our Buzz again, it's likely that Toy Story fans who may have been swayed by nostalgia actually stayed away.

Even if you did understand the concept of the movie, you might have questioned whether it was necessary. It's not like it could offer answers to long-running Toy Story mysteries as it was just a movie within the Toy Story world.

As prequels go, it could have felt less necessary to some fans than Solo: A Star Wars Story, and that's saying something.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why Toy Story spin-off Lightyear has failed to take off at the box office​

It might not have been as well-received by critics as the Toy Story movies, but Lightyear's 75% Rotten Tomatoes rating isn't terrible and with an 85% audience score, it seems that the people who did see it liked it.

The problem wasn't necessarily the quality of the movie – it was what the movie was. Arguably up until its release, there was confusion about just what Lightyear was. Was it the story of a real-life astronaut who inspired Buzz Lightyear, the toy? Was it connected to Toy Story at all or was it totally separate?

As it turned out, the opening lines of the movie cleared up any confusion you may have had, but the damage was done. Without the draw of seeing our Buzz again, it's likely that Toy Story fans who may have been swayed by nostalgia actually stayed away.

Even if you did understand the concept of the movie, you might have questioned whether it was necessary. It's not like it could offer answers to long-running Toy Story mysteries as it was just a movie within the Toy Story world.

As prequels go, it could have felt less necessary to some fans than Solo: A Star Wars Story, and that's saying something.
None of these movies are necessary. However, Disney/Pixar has a valuable IP they likely don't want to die. This was a way of in a sorts do a prequel using the "real Buzz" and not the toy in hopes of kicking off something new. I don't blame them. I agree with pretty much all of the above.

I highly recommend the movie. It was fun and the family enjoyed it which is the entire point.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
No Tim Allen means no true Buzz Lightyear

Go woke and go broke. Not a shocker this flopped worse than female ghostbusters

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Why comment when you clearly don't understand the premise of the movie? That's clear trolling.
no it isnt.. You need to stop crying "trolling!" everytime someone has an opinion different than yours.

Below is the premise of the movie--

Lightyear tells the story of young astronaut Buzz Lightyear, who, after being marooned on a hostile planet with his commander and crew, tries to find a way back home while confronting a threat in the form of Zurg.

Not the premise---

LGBTQ+ wokism that makes Desantis mad

As i already mentioned--- the movie was a disastrous flop. That is fact.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
no it isnt.. You need to stop crying "trolling!" everytime someone has an opinion different than yours.

Below is the premise of the movie--

Lightyear tells the story of young astronaut Buzz Lightyear, who, after being marooned on a hostile planet with his commander and crew, tries to find a way back home while confronting a threat in the form of Zurg.

Not the premise---

LGBTQ+ wokism that makes Desantis mad

As i already mentioned--- the movie was a disastrous flop. That is fact.
LOL.

It's a bust, sure, but it's not disastrous. Disney will be just fine. And you still don't understand the premise. And your ilk are the ones that have a big problem with the "kiss". That says more about you than anyone else. Woke? Come on.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL.

It's a bust, sure, but it's not disastrous. Disney will be just fine. And you still don't understand the premise. And your ilk are the ones that have a big problem with the "kiss". That says more about you than anyone else. Woke? Come on.

I see people are still "upset" over a one-second same sex kiss that was part of the regular story. According to these types of bigots (because yes, only bigots are upset by this), LGBT Americans should just hide their identity and never show PDA.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Tim Allen means no true Buzz Lightyear

Go woke and go broke. Not a shocker this flopped worse than female ghostbusters
Dumb comment. That's like saying if they make a cartoon of alive action movie the same person has to play the part in the cartoon. You don't get the premise. It's not the same character. The Premise is that Andy from Toy Story wanted Buzz lighter toy (which is what the Toy Story movies are about) based on his favorite movie. That movie is this....Lightyear. NOT THE SAME CHARACTER. It's not Buzz the toy. It's no different then making a cartoon out of any other live action movie.

Also, you didn't see this so you don't know what your talking about in terms of WOKE either. The movie in no way shape or form is trying to be Woke. What you are alluding to is a couple seconds on screen and has nothing to do with the rest of the movie outside of establishing who one character is.

Sounds like you let politics, sound bites or taking heads drive your opinion instead of actually judging something based on facts or actually seeing it for yourself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose