The Ayton Plan

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Portland reportedly plans to re-sign Nurkic so they may be out of the running in a sign and trade for Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Philly resigning Harden is odd. I think it’s time for them to blow it up

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There's not really a market for Harden. He's worth more to Philly than anywhere else as well. He is their Ben Simmons return. Plus Morey and Harden go way back so it's not surprising.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Portland reportedly plans to re-sign Nurkic so they may be out of the running in a sign and trade for Ayton.

No to any of these teams unless we can get a 3rd team involved. If I see that dang Turner proposal one more time I am going to throw up. I can see though these teams being involved in a 3 way trade for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree. I think it's weird as well. Running it over again with Harden seems like a mistake unless he is willing to accept a greatly reduced salary. He has a player option for $47,366,760 next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No to any of these teams unless we can get a 3rd team involved. If I see that dang Turner proposal one more time I am going to throw up. I can see though these teams being involved in a 3 way trade for sure.

Yeah, Turner straight up for Ayton is not enough. Involving a third team looks to be necessary.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just more confirmation the Blazers appear to be out of the Ayton sweepstakes.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it odd there are no odds for Atlanta. I thought Charlotte would have better odds as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

So I thought this list was lacking as well until I watched this episode of Solar Panel with Keith Smith who explains why it's so hard to do a sign and trade with a tax paying team (20:50). And current year draft compensation is a fantasy.

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
We better be getting back Halliburton and Hield to.

Turner is 12 points and 7 rebounds a game while only playing half a season these last couple of years. He’s really not that good.

I’d much rather have Capela
It's kinda like Now we realizing Ayton's value if only the Suns Organization had done likewise. Sign him and match and mend the fences & both Suns & Ayton should both try not to be butt hurt as it is business, or even trade him later if need be but get better by acquiring a real new power forward & point guard through a trade of our weaker link players like Shamet, Cam Payne, Torre Craig, Crowder, and Dario.

Suns never look at the big picture or plan. Take Dallas they knew that needed a center which was their greatest need and what did the Mavs do? They got a center who can shoot 3's and likes to dunk in Christian Woods. I'm saying Woods is all NBA but it is a terrific upgrade.
I don't want to settle for Capella, Myles Turner, or Jermani Grant or lesser value in exchange for Ayton who has improved each year than we got him at #1 in 2018. Have Ayton & staff do the work for more improvement and see what happens. And Monty coach & adjust the playoffs even better than the regular season!!!

Since the Suns can't seem to get it together the Pellicans may become my 2nd favorite team next year.

Last edited:

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
We better be getting back Halliburton and Hield to.

Turner is 12 points and 7 rebounds a game while only playing half a season these last couple of years. He’s really not that good.

I’d much rather have Capela

Yeah, I will give James Jones credit for that although he might ask Monty which players he will play.
Monty needs to make players earn their playing time. Whoever plays well stays on the court. Crowder was gifted too much time in this year's playoff while playing like crap against both Pellicans & Mavericks. The hell with feelings because you got to win the game!!

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I get the exact opposite vibe.

The Stix situation was a joke and this Ayton was had turned out that way to. They didn’t look ahead at all in either move

Giving money to a Shamet when you know you need to pay Cam seemed very short sighted

We will see either way this offseason is the most important in recent memory
Definitely agree with that part on Shamet. Stix & Ayton situations left a lot to be desired too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. I think it's weird as well. Running it over again with Harden seems like a mistake unless he is willing to accept a greatly reduced salary. He has a player option for $47,366,760 next season.
What other choice do they have?

I think Philly HAD to resign Harden since they traded for him. Giving up Simmons for nothing would have been a bad look for the sixers FO

Yeah, they are handcuffed. They're capped out, it's not like dumping Harden opens up opportunities. He is the current end point of a string of terrible decisions, if they let him walk for nothing... I suppose it ends the string of awful decisions with one last terrible decision, but really, they have to give him a 2 or 3 year deal and pray he finds some semblance of the player he was a couple years ago.

If they'd chosen to keep Butler over Simmons years ago they'd be a perennial contender, they might even have a ring or 2.

They made their bed... they shat all over it, now they gotta sleep in it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the 76ers feel committed to their current strategy, but if a team makes a bad decision do they double down hoping to get lucky?

It appears for them... yes.

They didn't make that bad of a decision though. Harden didn't pan out how they hoped but given Morey's history with Harden it was reasonable to take the chance. They also were finally getting return for Simmons, who was giving them nothing and wasn't going to play for them anymore. If Harden would have been able to get back into the form he was in just 2 years ago in Houston then they'd have gotten a hell of a return. He was still an All-Star last season.

They're in a position similar to the Suns last off-season with Chris Paul. They have a player whose best days are behind him but he's still quite capable of being a solid #2 or #3 and theyre able to avoid paying him $50+ million for 1 season because they're willing to offer long term security, which allows them to be in position to add a piece or two around Embiid and Harden.

If they lost Harden for nothing they'd be ripped apart for giving Simmons away for nothing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They didn't make that bad of a decision though. Harden didn't pan out how they hoped but given Morey's history with Harden it was reasonable to take the chance. They also were finally getting return for Simmons, who was giving them nothing and wasn't going to play for them anymore. If Harden would have been able to get back into the form he was in just 2 years ago in Houston then they'd have gotten a hell of a return. He was still an All-Star last season.

They're in a position similar to the Suns last off-season with Chris Paul. They have a player whose best days are behind him but he's still quite capable of being a solid #2 or #3 and theyre able to avoid paying him $50+ million for 1 season because they're willing to offer long term security, which allows them to be in position to add a piece or two around Embiid and Harden.

If they lost Harden for nothing they'd be ripped apart for giving Simmons away for nothing.

I'm not sure if Harden is taking a pay cut next season although he could. He still wants his money as I understand it although they could structure his contract differently so he still gets his money. Also they could settle for a shorter contract over years.

I don't think it's going to be anywhere close to team friendly as Chris Paul's contract.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I thought this list was lacking as well until I watched this episode of Solar Panel with Keith Smith who explains why it's so hard to do a sign and trade with a tax paying team (20:50). And current year draft compensation is a fantasy.

If there was any doubt, the Suns should keep Ayton, especially after listening to the podcast.

Another thing that was said, as I interpreted it, first round draft picks carry monetary value in a trade so it's not so easy to throw in a bunch of draft picks, especially an early one, in a sign and trade.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was any doubt, the Suns should keep Ayton, especially after listening to the podcast.

Another thing that was said, as I interpreted it, first round draft picks carry monetary value in a trade so it's not so easy to throw in a bunch of draft picks, especially an early one, in a sign and trade.
I don’t know about any doubt. If we could move Ayton which would have the downstream effect of shoring up two areas of need I would do it. Easier said than done and that’s not going to happen with one trade partner or one trade.

If all your going to do is weaken this roster while teams like the Mavs get better? No thanks. Keep Ayton and start working on moving other guys out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about any doubt. If we could move Ayton which would have the downstream effect of shoring up two areas of need I would do it. Easier said than done and that’s not going to happen with one trade partner or one trade.

If all your going to do is weaken this roster while teams like the Mavs get better? No thanks. Keep Ayton and start working on moving other guys out.

I can't remember anyone wanting to do a sign-and-trade with Ayton so I think we are all united on that front.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember anyone wanting to do a sign-and-trade with Ayton so I think we are all united on that front.
I think lots of people would support the right one and have made suggestions already. I think if we got a major piece in return there would be more people on that bandwagon. I think most of us realize though that most of the suggested one team trades have been anything but exciting.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yeah LITERALLY none of that is Suns Intel!
That's just restating the same **** we've been hearing since we didn't give him the max last year.
Portland was never in it. There's only 1 team that could sign him straight up and that team isn't on this list.

Take Myles Turner and shove him up yer ass how bout that Indiana. Not trading DA for a shorter 12pt and 7rb center.
I wouldn't give Cam J for Turner. Shame T maybe.

I swear by all that is holy if we mess this up and settle JUST to get rid of DA

I WILL BURN THIS CITY TO THE GROUND.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yeah LITERALLY none of that is Suns Intel!
That's just restating the same **** we've been hearing since we didn't give him the max last year.
Portland was never in it. There's only 1 team that could sign him straight up and that team isn't on this list.

Take Myles Turner and shove him up yer ass how bout that Indiana. Not trading DA for a shorter 12pt and 7rb center.
I wouldn't give Cam J for Turner. Shame T maybe.

I swear by all that is holy if we mess this up and settle JUST to get rid of DA

I WILL BURN THIS CITY TO THE GROUND.

Go buy your matches and kerosen because that's whats happening.

Shoutout James Jones for creating this drama/distraction

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think lots of people would support the right one and have made suggestions already. I think if we got a major piece in return there would be more people on that bandwagon. I think most of us realize though that most of the suggested one team trades have been anything but exciting.

I've yet to see one workable trade I can support. Maybe it's out there but I haven't seen it.