The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capela, collins, huerter and 16th looks pretty compelling. I don’t love any of them. But in the aggregate it’s three legit players and a lotto ticket. Step back at center, step forward at PF, step forward at backup SG, and who knows what we reap at #16.

If only the Suns had signed Ayton to the max last summer.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If advanced stats are credible, Rudy Gobert is undervalued by public perception. In terms of impact stats that identify "winning" players, he's top 10 in the league.

For example, here's 538's RAPTOR.

Gobert is underrated. He’s literally the only guy on the team that plays defense and they’re top-5. If you have him on your team you’re guaranteed to be a playoff team.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gobert is underrated. He’s literally the only guy on the team that plays defense and they’re top-5. If you have him on your team you’re guaranteed to be a playoff team.
The problem is he got super-maxed due to his All NBA selections.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The problem is he got super-maxed due to his All NBA selections.
Overpaid for sure. I think that makes Atlanta a good trade partner because they have some big salaries.

Will be interesting if Utah keeps Mitchell or tears down everything.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right then you would have way more options. Same thing with Stix. You just shot yourself in the foot

This offseason is going to determine if James Jones is legit

Could also show us just how badly Sarver handcuffs his GMs. Stix's contract not getting picked up was pure penny pinching, there is no other logic behind it, we didn't gain any cap space, just saved ownership a few mil.

If Sarver, by some miracle, is ousted by this report, I expect the new ownership group to not be shy about exceeding the luxury tax. Gambo says there are a lot of people with very deep pockets who would jump at a chance to take over the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But not because of them.

Philly is a dumpster fire outside of Embiid(and he broke his face)

Joker is missing his second and third best player on his team.

I can't give Denver any sympathy for the MPJ situation. The only reason he slipped to them in the draft at all is because half the league viewed him as undraftable because of his back problems.

And what do you know... he's missed over 60% of his first 4 years with back problems.

It ain't going to get better either. They'll be lucky if the crazy extension they gave him comes out to even 2 million per game.

Too bad we screwed up this Ayton situation now instead of in a year or two. At some point Joker is going to want out of there.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Could also show us just how badly Sarver handcuffs his GMs. Stix's contract not getting picked up was pure penny pinching, there is no other logic behind it, we didn't gain any cap space, just saved ownership a few mil.

If Sarver, by some miracle, is ousted by this report, I expect the new ownership group to not be shy about exceeding the luxury tax. Gambo says there are a lot of people with very deep pockets who would jump at a chance to take over the team.

Sarver has been a thousand pound anchor around the franchise's neck ever since he took over. I guarantee that if Colangelo was still the owner, or he had sold to just about anyone else, the Suns would not have been the laughing stock they have been for most of the post-millennium. Maybe we still wouldn't have a championship, but we wouldn't be pitiful (or one step from it) either.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not undervalued. He is a huge liability in the playoffs, and that is a lot more important than the regular season.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Capela, collins, huerter and 16th looks pretty compelling. I don’t love any of them. But in the aggregate it’s three legit players and a lotto ticket. Step back at center, step forward at PF, step forward at backup SG, and who knows what we reap at #16.
Can't believe they would want Gobert over Ayton.

That's not a bad package.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
imo, Gobert is OVER-rated. doesn't seem to impact the game as much as his stats would indicate. and why does he not get along with Mitchell?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't believe they would want Gobert over Ayton.

That's not a bad package.

I don't think the package would work in a trade for Ayton because the Suns can only bring back about $19 million unless the Suns can get a third team involved.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it odd there are no odds for Atlanta. I thought Charlotte would have better odds as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kings aren't even mentioned in the odds but they have some players and the #4 pick I would like in a trade for Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Neither are the Raptors which have been rumored.

No way does Ayton go to Toronto. He cares about money too much and signing with the Raptors would cost him a good amount.

He still has to agree to go whichever team we work a sign and trade with so it's not like the Suns can get the best package available.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That isn't ideal but it's intriguing. Vucevic provides scoring and rebounding right away. Coby White hasn't panned out but a change of scenery may be needed. If we could get a pick out of the deal, I'd be ok with that. I don't hate it.

The financials don't work without another piece being added by the Suns. Torrey Craig would work to make salaries align though. No loss there.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just one of many proposed trade ideas floating around.

Trading Deandre Ayton for Nikola Vucevic and Coby White as presented doesn't work salary wise.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I need some hope if the Suns are determined to trade Ayton. Hopefully there are better options out there.

The Raptors seem to be a really stable organization I don’t think they’ll blow it up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raptors seem to be a really stable organization I don’t think they’ll blow it up.

I've heard the Raptors are interested in a center but I agree they are unlikely to blow it up.

A return of OG Anunoby and Precious Achiuwa wouldn't be the worst trade idea out there.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Fun fact: In the massive, four-team 2012 trade that included Vucevic going from Philadelphia to Orlando and Andrew Bynum going from the Lakers to Philadelphia, the Sixers also parted with their 2018 first-round pick, who turned out to be ... Landry Shamet.

(cue "Twilight Zone" music)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave