The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say he's not Pop's kind of player I'm only talking about the makeup of the person, not his physical ability. Pop is said to prefer players that are only about the team, only about the outcome.
Pop has not been a big fan in the past of players he has acquired. He is the type of coach who thinks he can coach up. So, I would say the makeup up of a person prior to him coaching them has not been much of a deterrent in the past. I don't think he puts as much stock in a player's previous reputation once they get there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they're talking future or current picks, either way, that stuff has never stood in the way of teams making handshake deals.

The Suns might be interested in using one draft pick in the 2022 draft but I don't they would be interested in multiple picks except to use in another trade to acquire a significant player they want packaged with expiring contracts.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't care if DA was freebasing Krokodil! That's over now.
It's time to LET DA join the damn party or let his ass go. If we keep him, take off his stupid restrictions and let the man ball. And get him some Efing help at the rim if you wont let him play there.
Power Forward and Backup PG, the same **** we needed at the start of last season.
OR
Just give up and sign a bunch of guards and pray the 3s are falling.
Whatever I'm down either way.
Preach Muggz. Great points!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I never thought the Spurs could develop Jakob Poeltl into the player he is today. Developing Ayton should be much easier.
But that was due to Poetl’s physical limitations. Pop can work magic with players who are willing to buy-in and do what he instructs. The reason Ayton isn’t a pop player imo is bc he will never use his physical traits the way pop wants him to and likely doesn’t respond well to a harsh coach. And before anyone says the suns never asked him to play more physical just look at Monty’s repeated comments about wanting Ayton to play more physical or in the playoffs “play with force.” I have a difficult time seeing that soft leopard changing his spots. If pop wants to lean into his jumpshooting game aka Lamarcus Aldridge, maybe it works.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But that was due to Poetl’s physical limitations. Pop can work magic with players who are willing to buy-in and do what he instructs. The reason Ayton isn’t a pop player imo is bc he will never use his physical traits the way pop wants him to and likely doesn’t respond well to a harsh coach. And before anyone says the suns never asked him to play more physical just look at Monty’s repeated comments about wanting Ayton to play more physical or in the playoffs “play with force.” I have a difficult time seeing that soft leopard changing his spots. If pop wants to lean into his jumpshooting game aka Lamarcus Aldridge, maybe it works.
If Pop gets ahold of this kid it could be very bad. In a sick, glutton for punishment sort of way I kinda wanna see it happen.
Pop knows how to use a Center/PF combo, which would make DA's job 10x easier, freeing him up to explore his game, connect with the fans and become a superhero.
I REALLY REALLY don't think Monte has any idea how to use DA.
If Pop does get him he's 25 and 17 by the end of the season. Possibly more.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
If Pop gets ahold of this kid it could be very bad. In a sick, glutton for punishment sort of way I kinda wanna see it happen.
Pop knows how to use a Center/PF combo, which would make DA's job 10x easier, freeing him up to explore his game, connect with the fans and become a superhero.
Coach Pop is one of the best if not the best coach in the NBA. He knows how to use players to help them reach their potential.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
People have been been saying our coaches/point guards don't know how to use DA, or get him the ball, since we drafted him. It's been the same issues with one common denominator.

It would be disgraceful for a coach to make it to the highest level of professional basketball, and not have an expert level understanding of how to employ all 5 positions. Maybe the coach has a different tactical philosophy, but I highly doubt they just don't know how to use a guy, especially one as naturally talented as DA.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People have been been saying our coaches/point guards don't know how to use DA, or get him the ball, since we drafted him. It's been the same issues with one common denominator.

It would be disgraceful for a coach to make it to the highest level of professional basketball, and not have an expert level understanding of how to employ all 5 positions. Maybe the coach has a different tactical philosophy, but I highly doubt they just don't know how to use a guy, especially one as naturally talented as DA.

Nobody has ever said Paul doesn’t know how to get DA the ball. The issue is just Paul’s age and durability these days.

But yes there are real questions about Monty. I think his success is directly tied to Paul. We’ve seen over and over Monty isn’t great making adjustments.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd probably agree with you without a second thought but what happened with Jalen Smith leaves me asking why.

Some teams are better at developing players. I'm not sure the Suns are one of them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We tried to make DA a central figure on offense from his rookie season on until a few weeks into CP's time with us. We lost a lot of games because of how ineffective we were at the start of games because DA wouldn't go up strong, wouldn't catch the ball cleanly or wouldn't catch the ball at all. Once we stopped trying to force feed Ayton we became a much better team and that approach has continued for us.

I agreed at the time with our decision to limit the number of possessions we'd invest in getting Deandre involved - but he isn't the same player today as he was 2 or 3 years ago. I think he's shown he deserves more attention from our point guards (and our coach).

If he lacks focus when we try again then we just need to try harder, even if it costs us. I mean, big deal if we'd only won 57 games last season in our effort to establish him down low. He has far too much potential as a force inside to just walk away from the option. He should be getting at least twice as many touches as he does IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
By the end of the season?!? I think you’re outta your mind. His scoring is going to leap 8 pts/game and his rebounds 7 per game?!? Particularly on the 17 boards per game. Cmon muggz, stick to the real comedy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Coach Pop is one of the best if not the best coach in the NBA. He knows how to use players to help them reach their potential.
Name a soft goofball he’s been successful with. Can’t name Rodman, that guy was a dawg’s dawg. Robinson, Duncan were pro’s pros. They came to work every day. No motivation issues. No shying away from contact.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd probably agree with you without a second thought but what happened with Jalen Smith leaves me asking why.

Some teams are better at developing players. I'm not sure the Suns are one of them.
Absolutely some teams are better developing players. But it’s rare to see the goofy coaches outta a big. Or to see a soft guy learn to play into contact.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We tried to make DA a central figure on offense from his rookie season on until a few weeks into CP's time with us. We lost a lot of games because of how ineffective we were at the start of games because DA wouldn't go up strong, wouldn't catch the ball cleanly or wouldn't catch the ball at all. Once we stopped trying to force feed Ayton we became a much better team and that approach has continued for us.

I agreed at the time with our decision to limit the number of possessions we'd invest in getting Deandre involved - but he isn't the same player today as he was 2 or 3 years ago. I think he's shown he deserves more attention from our point guards (and our coach).

If he lacks focus when we try again then we just need to try harder, even if it costs us. I mean, big deal if we'd only won 57 games last season in our effort to establish him down low. He has far too much potential as a force inside to just walk away from the option. He should be getting at least twice as many touches as he does IMO.
Agree with all of this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would give Ayton probably the best season any Center has had since Wilt Chamberlin. I’m a little on the dubious side that would happen.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think many (if not most) of us here agree that the Suns aren't utilizing Ayton to his/their best advantage. I really believe a lot of that is on Monty, who seems to be entrenched in one way of doing things and isn't apt to change. I think that is at least part of the reason Ayton is unhappy (the contract slight being the obvious other part).

I am willing to bet that whatever the resolution with Ayton, we still end up going into next season with Crowder as our starting PF, Payne as our backup PG, and Shamet as our backup SG, even though those were all the weakest links on the team last season. And all of that will be at Monty's direction.

The Suns might rearrange other minor parts of the rotation out of necessity or convenience, and we may end up ultimately swapping Ayton for some lesser/cheaper option at C. But I fully expect Monty's "favorites" to be back, for better or worse (and most likely, the latter).

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Name a soft goofball he’s been successful with. Can’t name Rodman, that guy was a dawg’s dawg. Robinson, Duncan were pro’s pros. They came to work every day. No motivation issues. No shying away from contact.

David Robinson had a huge reputation for being soft. Shaq would bring it up every chance he got. For some reason Shaq really didn’t like him and would just kill Robinson.

Then there’s the year he won the MVP and Dream embarrassed him in the playoffs. He’s really toyed with him.

And Rodman flamed out in SA if I remember right. Rodman also went out of his way to call Robinson soft and not a leader

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
David Robinson had a huge reputation for being soft. Shaq would bring it up every chance he got. For some reason Shaq really didn’t like him and would just kill Robinson.

Then there’s the year he won the MVP and Dream embarrassed him in the playoffs. He’s really toyed with him.

And Rodman flamed out in SA if I remember right. Rodman also went out of his way to call Robinson soft and not a leader
There’s David Robinson “soft” at 10 FTs per game as a rookie and then there’s actual soft (Ayton’s < 3 FTs per game over every period of his career). So let’s maybe not try that silly comparison.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

In David Robinson WORST season in terms of FTAs he averaged 3.3 per game or almost an ENTIRE free throw per game (0.8) better than any season of Ayton. And that was when Robinson was 37 years old.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There’s David Robinson “soft” at 10 FTs per game as a rookie and then there’s actual soft (Ayton’s < 3 FTs per game over every period of his career). So let’s maybe not try that silly comparison.

I didn’t bring up the comparison. Ayton isn’t Robinson at all. Maybe that makes Ayton tissue soft then.

I’m not comparing Ayton to Robinson. I’m only going by what guys Robinson played against said about him, but what do those guys know.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t bring up the comparison. Ayton isn’t Robinson at all. Maybe that makes Ayton tissue soft then.

I’m not comparing Ayton to Robinson. I’m only going by what guys Robinson played against said about him, but what do those guys know.
I think Robinson was looked at as more mentally soft, rather than physically. He wilted in big games… wasn’t the type who could overcome obstacles.

Physically, dude was a freak of nature and played like one Tue moment he hit the floor as a rookie. He just shrunk when the lights were brightest.

He also has the misfortune of playing in an era with arguably the best big men in the game.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think many (if not most) of us here agree that the Suns aren't utilizing Ayton to his/their best advantage. I really believe a lot of that is on Monty, who seems to be entrenched in one way of doing things and isn't apt to change. I think that is at least part of the reason Ayton is unhappy (the contract slight being the obvious other part).

I am willing to bet that whatever the resolution with Ayton, we still end up going into next season with Crowder as our starting PF, Payne as our backup PG, and Shamet as our backup SG, even though those were all the weakest links on the team last season. And all of that will be at Monty's direction.

The Suns might rearrange other minor parts of the rotation out of necessity or convenience, and we may end up ultimately swapping Ayton for some lesser/cheaper option at C. But I fully expect Monty's "favorites" to be back, for better or worse (and most likely, the latter).

This is the most important offseason in recent memory and if we give Monty the keys I see it ending bad. He just falls in love with these players and I have no idea why.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the most important offseason in recent memory and if we give Monty the keys I see it ending bad. He just falls in love with these players and I have no idea why.
Yeah… there’s such a stark difference in great coaches and good coaches. Just last night, Kerr realized how much Draymond was killing them and sat him the majority of the 4th quarter and then did offense/defense substitutions with him.

Monty would never do that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not much. Shaq was jealous of Robinson - despite the fact that Shaq was the better player Robinson got the respect Shaq didn't and the only thing bigger than O'Neal is his insecurity complex. Keep in mind that Honest Shaq always claimed he'd beast against DR because David ignored him when Shaq was a local high school fan of David's. Which of course turned out to be pure fiction as they were thousands of miles apart at the supposed time.

And Rodman quit on that team because they wanted him to actually work for a living instead of show up and miss his usual 20 shots so he could pad his rebound stats. He blamed David for his failures and used the Jim Rome show to turn a non-issue into a big issue. Sure, the Spurs haters loved it, especially Jim. Together, Rome and Rodman got a lot of mileage out of mocking a class human being for being a family man and liking the movie The Little Mermaid.

Robinson got abused by Malone in the postseason and that had a lot to do with his "soft" reputation. It wasn't fair, but David just took the abuse and kept playing. All I can say, watching that playoff series, is that I'm glad I'm not a Spurs or Robinson fan. The things they allowed the Jazz to get away with soured me on basketball for quite awhile. David wasn't a brute but he didn't shy away from contact either. He was a great all around center.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's got the keys already, I just don't see that changing for at least another season.