Aaron Donald signs extension, making him the highest-paid defender in NFL history

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No only the really rich ones can
They're all really rich. It's not the MLB where there is no cap. All teams have the same cap and have to play by the same rules. It comes down to manipulating the cap within the rules. All teams/owner can do it. Just some choose not to because they are more concerned with the bottom line versus winning.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this is the fate i figured for the Saints, but they have doubled down-- we will see what they do if they go 7-10 or something this year

its kinda what happened to the Falcons

Seems to me there have been far more teams tried it and failed than succeeded. At the same time most of the teams that win the super bowl are just well coached teams with great QB's and the usual mix of stars and average players.

Only two all in loaded winners I can think of are the Bucs and Rams. They just happen to be the most recent ones so everyone thinks it's the only way.

I get it from a fan perspective. Who doesn't want to go 14-3 and have a team full of superstars?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They're all really rich. It's not the MLB where there is no cap. All teams have the same cap and have to play by the same rules. It comes down to manipulating the cap within the rules. All teams/owner can do it. Just some choose not to because they are more concerned with the bottom line versus winning.
This is true to a point. When you don't have millions upon millions of liquid cash to throw out as bonuses every year, it limits what you can do.

The Cardinals HAVE played around with the cap a lot lately, but they don't have the cash at hand to do what the Benson family has done with the Saints for the past three years or so.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If they have the cash at hand to do it, sure.

Let's not ignore the reality that Jones, Kroenke, Khan, and the other true billionaires have the cash at hand to endlessly move $10s of millions of cap to the next year.
Mikey could do the same if he wanted. He’s not hurting for cash, unless he’s a really bad businessman.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
This is true to a point. When you don't have millions upon millions of liquid cash to throw out as bonuses every year, it limits what you can do.

The Cardinals HAVE played around with the cap a lot lately, but they don't have the cash at hand to do what the Benson family has done with the Saints for the past three years or so.
Yes they do have the cash to do what the Bensons do, or any other NFL team.
JC, these guys are all have more money than they can spend.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mean guaranteed up front cash where the cap hit gets spread over the life of a contract with several void years is the main trick the Saints and Rams use to get out of cap hell. I really don't think Bidwill has the money to do that. Isn't Mike the poorest owner in the league?

mobyhammy

Reaction score
Let's just hope the big fat contract makes him happy and content, and therefore, lazy and unmotivated. Also, I'm hoping the Rams' extending their salary cap troubles into the future catches up to them.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's not a "myth", there are just ways to move money around and if you have the money to give a bonus NOW, you can spread that out over the life of the contract or make it an extension that terminates easily so the cap hits can keep going after a player is gone.

This is where the NFL is going. The billionaire owners can do this while the millionaire owners will be limited.
I think all the NFL owners are billionaires :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Donald is not the best non QB of all time. I take it back. He's wearing a tea cosy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's patently false. The Bidwills only revenue stream is the Cardinals.
Except that when you own something worth 3-5 billion dollars, you can easily get a loan if you wanted. I get credit card and home refinance offers on a daily basis. Banks, investment firms, etc would kick down the doors to loan the money. Teams choose not to. It is as simple as that.

Of course it is easier with owners that have lots of liquidity. Please don't act like it is impossible for owners to have liquidity.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Except that when you own something worth 3-5 billion dollars, you can easily get a loan if you wanted. I get credit card and home refinance offers on a daily basis. Banks, investment firms, etc would kick down the doors to loan the money. Teams choose not to. It is as simple as that.

Of course it is easier with owners that have lots of liquidity. Please don't act like it is impossible for owners to have liquidity.
It's not impossible, but someone who is in actuality, only worth $100 million in personal assets isn't the same as Stan Kroenke.

The Cardinals HAVE moved money from this year to next years cap. And they did it last year as well, and the year before that.

But there is only so much that they can do based on cash at hand.

I'm not defending Michael Bidwill, but I think it's smart to understand that a rich owner isn't going to be able to run a team the same way a super wealthy owner can.

Reaction score
Kyler Murray
ARI • QB • 1
View Profile
Murray has been pushing for a new deal practically ever since the Cardinals lost to the Rams in the wild card playoff round. Erik Burkhardt, Murray's agent, released a statement in all capital letters in February essentially demanding a new contract. The Cardinals haven't made an offer to Murray. Burkhardt recently pulled the offer he had made to the Cardinals.

When the offseason workout program started in mid-April, Murray was a no-show. This prompted some speculation that Murray could eventually be traded. Cardinals GM Steve Keim stating there's "zero chance" of Murray being traded should end the rumors. The two-time Pro Bowler has skipped most of Arizona's organized team activities. Keim sounded optimistic about getting an extension done during a recent appearance on the Pat McAfee Show.

Murray could be the beneficiary of the Cardinals not operating on his timetable for a new contract. Nobody envisioned quarterback Deshaun Watson getting a fully guaranteed, five-year, $230 million contract in connection with his trade from the Browns to the Texans, especially considering the sexual assault and misconduct allegations he's still facing. Watson had four years worth $136 million remaining on the four-year contract extension, averaging $39 million per year he signed in September 2020. Burkhardt pushing for a fully guaranteed contract comparable to Watson's wouldn't be a surprise.

A fully guaranteed contract could be problematic because of the NFL's archaic funding rules and the Cardinals aren't considered a cash-rich team. Teams are required to put into an escrow account the amount of any guarantees in a contract other than those just for injury, including ones in future contract years.

The Cardinals didn't pay Murray's signing bonus in a lump sum like 2019 second overall pick Nick Bosa got from the 49ers as $6,839,924 of Murray's $23,589,924 signing bonus was deferred until March 1, 2020.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
That's patently false. The Bidwills only revenue stream is the Cardinals.
So what? They have plenty of money to spend on any player(s) they want.

Their revenue streams are flowing. There’s not a team in the NFL that’s hurting for money.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
I'm not defending Michael Bidwill, but I think it's smart to understand that a rich owner isn't going to be able to run a team the same way a super wealthy owner can.
Now that is patently false. Bidwill can run his team exactly the way any other team does. He chooses not to to line his golden pockets even more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So what? They have plenty of money to spend on any player(s) they want.

Their revenue streams are flowing. There’s not a team in the NFL that’s hurting for money.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about the concept of the Bidwill family who own only the Cardinals not having the cash flow Jerry Jones has.

Revenue streams aren't the same as cash at hand. Those revenue streams are mostly earmarked for operational expenses.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's so hard to understand about the concept of the Bidwill family who own only the Cardinals not having the cash flow Jerry Jones has.

Revenue streams aren't the same as cash at hand. Those revenue streams are mostly earmarked for operational expenses.
With one measly phone call, the Bidwills could have cash in hand as well. That's the part that should be easy to understand.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose