xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
"Steph Curry never plays well in the NBA Finals"

Reaction score
I'm impressed by the honesty of Draymond Green, who--by stating that he has "earned differential treatment"--casually acknowledged that the NBA does not apply its rules equally or uniformly.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I'm impressed by the honesty of Draymond Green, who--by stating that he has "earned differential treatment"--casually acknowledged that the NBA does not apply its rules equally or uniformly.
I thought he meant it in the context of getting hit with Techs by refs as in they look for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honesty and Draymond are two words that don't usually collide in the same sentence. And we all know that there is a different standard for stars than for non-stars.

I'm sure you realize that Draymond isn't so much being honest as he is whining about not recieving the same preferential treatment that most of the big names receive. He may be right but the refs also tend to treat differently players with a history of cheap shots and referee manipulation.

Reaction score
Okay, very good, I misunderstood the statement. I thought, apparently mistakenly, that Green was acknowledging that the league did give him "differential" treatment in that particular game. Because they very obviously did. He was allowed to behave thuggishly. He must be whining about past games.

The Celtics didn't understand what I figured out years ago: sometimes a team must be good enough to defeat two simultaneous opponents--the other team, and the system. There is no choice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, very good, I misunderstood the statement. I thought, apparently mistakenly, that Green was acknowledging that the league did give him "differential" treatment in that particular game. Because they very obviously did. He was allowed to behave thuggishly. He must be whining about past games.

The Celtics didn't understand what I figured out years ago: sometimes a team just has to be good enough to defeat two simultaneous opponents--the other team, and the system. There is no choice.
No I think he gets away with some things that he shouldn't because he's a big name but I also believe there are some refs that are quick to T him up because of his history. So he often gets preferential treatment but there are some refs that are just looking for a chance to hammer him.

The refs are human, you can't make them look bad or belittle them or manipulate them into bad calls without creating some ill will.

He's not alone in being refereed this way. Nobody gets better treatment right now from the refs than Giannis. But Lebron used to get that same level of protection until that changed 4 or 5 years ago. Now, he still gets superstar treatement much of the time but he also probably leads the league in being fouled with no call (just like Shaq did years ago).

These refs know the game is about the players - some of them recognize the value in keeping the big names in the game. Some of them tire of the abuse and lose their objectivity with certain players. And some of them are just horrible refs and let reputation and/or the crowd make many of their calls for them. And a few of them are very good at their job but perhaps have quick whistles when it comes to mouthing off. And every now and then, there's a Tim Donaghy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The first shot Steph made in the game Draymond hooked Smart just basically hooked his arm and shoulder so he couldn't get to Steph.
That said watch some of the screens that Grant Williams is setting, very similar to what Draymond did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I think he gets away with some things that he shouldn't because he's a big name but I also believe there are some refs that are quick to T him up because of his history. So he often gets preferential treatment but there are some refs that are just looking for a chance to hammer him.

The refs are human, you can't make them look bad or belittle them or manipulate them into bad calls without creating some ill will.

He's not alone in being refereed this way. Nobody gets better treatment right now from the refs than Giannis. But Lebron used to get that same level of protection until that changed 4 or 5 years ago. Now, he still gets superstar treatement much of the time but he also probably leads the league in being fouled with no call (just like Shaq did years ago).

These refs know the game is about the players - some of them recognize the value in keeping the big names in the game. Some of them tire of the abuse and lose their objectivity with certain players. And some of them are just horrible refs and let reputation and/or the crowd make many of their calls for them. And a few of them are very good at their job but perhaps have quick whistles when it comes to mouthing off. And every now and then, there's a Tim Donaghy.

Apparently Grant Williams told the media that Draymond called him a "bozo" in the game last night during the argument. He said he was a Draymond fan growing up and almost considered it a compliment that Draymond insulted him (-:

Also hearing Draymond said Ime Udoka used profanity at him too during that sequence where he pulled his mask down to swear at the ref. Udoka admitted he got his T on purpose he thought the Celtics weren't getting calls so he tried to shake things up.

Jaylen Brown is saying Draymond "tried to pull my pants down" referring to the play where they both went down, When Draymond stood up he grabbed Browns shorts to pull himself up, Brown apparently thought Draymond was trying to pull them down which is why he reacted the way he did.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An example of Grant Williams physical play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An example of Grant Williams physical play.

That's nothing compared to this.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The first shot Steph made in the game Draymond hooked Smart just basically hooked his arm and shoulder so he couldn't get to Steph.
That said watch some of the screens that Grant Williams is setting, very similar to what Draymond did.
I think the headline on that video misrepresents that sequence. I think it’s clear that all three of the people he supposedly “bowled” over all were there to touch him up. If they’re going to play physical, he has to be physical. If the refs are letting them be physical then you keep at it (both teams). All officiating crews call the game differently and you have to adjust your way of playing tailored to the way the refs in that game are calling.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

That was definitely a Foul on Green to start that sequence. It also should’ve been a double T on Williams and Green when they T’d Green.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

here's my objection on that play and it's why I didn't say anything last night when they called that foul on Williams not Green. What basketball play is Williams making there? What's he doing? Green is trying to come up to the foulline presumably to set a screen for Steph. I get that Van Gundy said offensive foul I wouldn't have objected if they called it, but I also don't object to the foul on Williams. It's been an emphasis for a few years now freedom of movement by the offensive player. Green doesn't have the ball he's just trying to move without the ball and Grant Williams is stopping him from doing so. I think that's why they called the foul on Williams.

There were a bunch like that last night Williams lowers his shoulder and Knocks draymond back in transition foul on Green, Green does the same thing to him (or horford?) and they call it a block again.

Green was definitely very physical last night probably too physical but I think Williams is getting a pass he was nailing guys left and right the whole game too

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ridicukous

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Apparently Grant Williams told the media that Draymond called him a "bozo" in the game last night during the argument. He said he was a Draymond fan growing up and almost considered it a compliment that Draymond insulted him (-:

Also hearing Draymond said Ime Udoka used profanity at him too during that sequence where he pulled his mask down to swear at the ref. Udoka admitted he got his T on purpose he thought the Celtics weren't getting calls so he tried to shake things up.

Jaylen Brown is saying Draymond "tried to pull my pants down" referring to the play where they both went down, When Draymond stood up he grabbed Browns shorts to pull himself up, Brown apparently thought Draymond was trying to pull them down which is why he reacted the way he did.
Raise your hand here if you ever tried to help yourself up by pulling on someone else’s shorts . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the headline on that video misrepresents that sequence. I think it’s clear that all three of the people he supposedly “bowled” over all were there to touch him up. If they’re going to play physical, he has to be physical. If the refs are letting them be physical then you keep at it (both teams). All officiating crews call the game differently and you have to adjust your way of playing tailored to the way the refs in that game are calling.
Lol. Okay. Your warriors bias is shining through in giant opening night premier lights.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That was definitely a Foul on Green to start that sequence. It also should’ve been a double T on Williams and Green when they T’d Green.
For Williams pressing his body against green? Something green (and frankly every great defender) does on every single play? Uh no. It was 100% histrionics by green. That laying your body on someone is something every single defender did on Chris Paul before every possession in every game in the playoffs. It’s obviously legal. The flailing by green isn’t.