Top Gun: Maverick

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This movie was damn near perfect…until the end.

Honestly it was just making me mad by the end.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you did find the only flaw in this movie. That soundtrack is one of the all time greats.

You and me share the same background. My father also flew F-5's, among others. I am a little surprised you choose the Navy F-14 over the (IMO, cooler) F-15.

Nah, the F-14 is, in my mind, a lot cooler. It's swept wing is amazing, that it is such a massive fighter yet at the same time so incredibly fast and maneuverable, despite the massive air frame is an engineering miracle.

No disrespect to the F-15, it's a fantastic design, among the pre-stealth generation it is probably the most effective aircraft, it can do virtually anything. But, as a pure intercept and dogfighter, nothing, prior to the F-22, is on par with the F-14. The F-15 is a fighter, a bomber, a ground support... all rolled into one, and it does well at all, and the F-14 was not an attack aircraft, it was not a bomber, but man... that F-14 has a longer range, missiles that can fire at an insane distance, it's faster and can out turn basically anything that existed in it's prime. When it comes to air-superiority, the F-14 was the creme de la creme prior to stealth.

Maaaaaaaaaaaybe the F-16 could tangle with it in a close range fight, but the F-16 would have to dodge a butt load of missiles fired at supersonic speed from dozens of miles away to even get into the position, and even then... it would be a battle, thankfully all these aircraft were on the same side.

But, hell yeah to another child of a F-5 pilot. My dad flew F-5s, T-38s and then later, in the Air National Guard, was the commander of the KC-135 wing out at Luke.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Um, yeah, no. I'm not seeing it so I'm not going to try to judge just how good it is or not, but I'm safe in saying it's not one of the best movies of all time :)

Why are you not going to see it?

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to go see it again this weekend or next (having a free birthday popcorn waiting for me is an extra bonus). More surprisingly, my 19 year old daughter wants to see it again.

This is cool.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to go see it again this weekend or next (having a free birthday popcorn waiting for me is an extra bonus). More surprisingly, my 19 year old daughter wants to see it again.

This is cool.
I will be seeing it a second time in the theater as well. Happy birthday btw :)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My 2nd viewing will be IMAX. Probably this week. What an amazing start to the summer.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

stealing an enemy fighter was damn near laughable. They should’ve brought in Hangman sooner and let him cook vs more enemy jets. He had some major **** heat in this movie. Still a super fun movie.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the original for the first time tonight. I live under a rock, what can I say?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stealing an enemy fighter was damn near laughable. They should’ve brought in Hangman sooner and let him cook vs more enemy jets. He had some major **** heat in this movie. Still a super fun movie.
The last act of ridiculousness was my favorite part of the movie.

Probably because it was the only thing not spoiled for me. And because it just leaned all the way into the ridiculous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The end is what made the movie perfect.

I mean… if you’re going to complain about anything ridiculous in that movie and don’t start with Cruise romancing Jennifer Connelly you’re missing the boat. That was more unbelievable than anything else happening in the movie.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I mean… if you’re going to complain about anything ridiculous in that movie and don’t start with Cruise romancing Jennifer Connelly you’re missing the boat. That was more unbelievable than anything else happening in the movie.

That’s legit hilarious

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The last act of ridiculousness was my favorite part of the movie.

Probably because it was the only thing not spoiled for me. And because it just leaned all the way into the ridiculous.
I guess you had to figure they’d get Rooster in the back seat somehow.

Also props to Val for roughing that scene out. He looks terrible…

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

See "Firefox.". :D

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always fun to revisit Kevin Pollock's "Tom Cruise Pen Story." I think it says a lot about the guy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
32% drop from Weekend 1 is unheard of for almost a smash hit #1 movie the last couple decades.
It also had zero competition this past weekend and it looks like there are a lot of repeat viewers.

We’re going to see a big drop off next weekend though.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will probably be a huge drop off this coming weekend but that is more because of Jurassic World coming out than anything else. It stands a good shot of passing Dr. Strange this coming weekend despite that movie being out several more weeks. Hell, this weekend's Top Gun was larger than Dr. Strange's opening weekend.

Good. Good entertainment should be rewarded. Maybe Hollywood will finally start to listen. I'm going to go again this week sometime.

As a side note, there's an interesting theory out there that Maverick died in his test flight (because no one's going to survive an ejection at Mach 10) and the movie is just a dream or him playing out the mission in heaven or some such.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
As a side note, there's an interesting theory out there that Maverick died in his test flight (because no one's going to survive an ejection at Mach 10) and the movie is just a dream or him playing out the mission in heaven or some such.
You think that theory is "interesting"? ;)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There will probably be a huge drop off this coming weekend but that is more because of Jurassic World coming out than anything else. It stands a good shot of passing Dr. Strange this coming weekend despite that movie being out several more weeks. Hell, this weekend's Top Gun was larger than Dr. Strange's opening weekend.

Good. Good entertainment should be rewarded. Maybe Hollywood will finally start to listen. I'm going to go again this week sometime.

This weekend’s Top Gun was 90 million bucks. Strange’s opening weekend was 188 million.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why is TC romancing JC a problem? It can't be an age issue as he is 59 and she's 51.... whatup?