We need a vet CB now, or just forfeit the season

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I totally understand the tragic situation with Gladney, and it totally sucks and a wake up a call removed from football and how fragile we are, but the Cards better get aggressive with a solution quick. Sorry, but they have no freaking excuse not being able to simply bend their cap space to sign one of the remaining vet CBs which they feel best fits their scheme. The quicker you get the guy, the more you are insure he will get into football shape (that crap of working out without pads at a private facility, and saying you are good to go is a farce) and be able to acclimate into Vance's approach
Guess I am the immoral bad guy for bringing this up at the passing of a team member, but the Cards do not have much time to rectify this situation if they are looking for positive results

With such a glaring hole right now with legit full bells and whistles, I felt it should not be posted in increments on an off season thread

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pat P re-signed with MIN for $3M.

I mentioned Rhodes in another thread but Keim should be on the phone looking for a trade partner. Maybe offer CLE a late rounder (6th or 7th rounder) for Greedy Williams.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd wait for camp and see who gets released.

Realistically, the Cardinals are probably look at #3/#4 corners

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
They’ll sign a corner, maybe 2. You don’t want to hurry, just be patient someone will get bumped. Several good CBs were drafted. Someone’s going to be excess baggage. The Cards just need to be aggressive and pay the price.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They’ll sign a corner, maybe 2. You don’t want to hurry, just be patient someone will get bumped. Several good CBs were drafted. Someone’s going to be excess baggage. The Cards just need to be aggressive and pay the price.
The Cardinals have found CBs who can play during the summer the past few years.

It's literally unwarranted panic at this point. People said the exact same thing last year and were wrong.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If this is a reaction to the unfortunate death of Gladney, just remember that Gladney was about as good as Marco Wilson was last year, the one season he did play.

Gladney was a projection. He wasn't a proven corner and he might have had Kevin Petersonesque 130 QB Rating allowed type season.

Currently the Cardinals have two decent corners in Murphy and Hamilton, and a guy we hope will be better in Wilson. There are CB battles on 31 other teams, and the Cardinals very likely will be able to add at least one decent corner.

I'm much more worried about OLB, but there are some options.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
So what is it Harry, be patient or be aggressive... because you listed both approaches

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If this is a reaction to the unfortunate death of Gladney, just remember that Gladney was about as good as Marco Wilson was last year, the one season he did play.

Gladney was a projection. He wasn't a proven corner and he might have had Kevin Petersonesque 130 QB Rating allowed type season.

Currently the Cardinals have two decent corners in Murphy and Hamilton, and a guy we hope will be better in Wilson. There are CB battles on 31 other teams, and the Cardinals very likely will be able to add at least one decent corner.

I'm much more worried about OLB, but there are some options.
You’re putting a lot of weight on Antionio Hamilton who had 36 targets last season.

There’s probably a reason he was with three teams before the Cardinals and doesn’t play much.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Guys, what I see is a position right now which on paper, and not potential, feels like the biggest obvious hole since the Cards trotted out their 2003 WR group minus a rookie Anquan Boldin. Byron Murphy is a nickel or an outside corner (something for me he has not really established yet), I like Marco Wilson but at the moment in his progression we should expect no better than average, and Hamilton is a nice complimentary guy who will give it his all, but that is not enough because one of those guys will be injured at least for a stretch of games. I know injuries are part of the game and do not expect all pros down the depth line, but we have like zero reliable depth right now. This is a game of mismatches, and our armor there seems prime to not only have chinks but missing whole sections where even an undrafted rookie QB could find the obvious go to guy

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I totally understand the tragic situation with Gladney, and it totally sucks and a wake up a call removed from football and how fragile we are, but the Cards better get aggressive with a solution quick. Sorry, but they have no freaking excuse not being able to simply bend their cap space to sign one of the remaining vet CBs which they feel best fits their scheme. The quicker you get the guy, the more you are insure he will get into football shape (that crap of working out without pads at a private facility, and saying you are good to go is a farce) and be able to acclimate into Vance's approach
Guess I am the unmoral bad guy for bringing this up at the passing of a team member, but the Cards do not have much time to rectify this situation if they are looking for positive results

With such a glaring hole right now with legit full bells and whistles, I felt it should not be posted in increments on an off season thread

Yes, we need a vet CB and I'd argue we in fact need two.

BIM: immoral

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
By the way, I stand by using the words 'forfeit the season' because I see the objective as winning a Super Bowl, and not just making the post season, and this current secondary due to our cornerbacks (though our safeties are great) does not come across as sufficient for that task

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Yes, we need a vet CB and I'd argue we in fact need two.

BIM: immoral
i think you bring in one before camp, and then be active in the vet cut wire afterwards

i can see a scenario where zone is the primary coverage scheme

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we can develop some type of pass rush, it will mash some of the lack of talent on the backend. Wilson was playing pretty decent early in the season. Once JJ went down and few other injuries, he was exposed.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
By the way, I stand by using the words 'forfeit the season' because I see the objective as winning a Super Bowl, and not just making the post season, and this current secondary due to our cornerbacks (though our safeties are great) does not come across as sufficient for that task
I'm not sure I would call our safeties great but I would call them solid and dependable and not a position to be concerned about in relation to the rest of the defense. I think great is stretching it a bit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson