Suns Off-season Thread

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I just read an article about Stix that ripped the Suns for giving up on him too early since he is putting up solid numbers in Indiana......
I read Indiana going all out to keep him but multiple teams are trying to get him too.

And the Suns looking for a PF and replacement Center.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I read Indiana going all out to keep him but multiple teams are trying to get him too.

And the Suns looking for a PF and replacement Center.
Interesting how no one wanted him at the start of the season.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Not offensively he didn’t. I watched those games. He wasn’t impressive. His rebounding was good. That was about it.
Yeah he didn't "look" good getting a double double every game. That's why the NBA didn't say "the future looks good."

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not offensively he didn’t. I watched those games. He wasn’t impressive. His rebounding was good. That was about it.
I still don't understand how a guy who was arguably the best shooter on his college team, was so bad at hitting his shot in the NBA. Perhaps he couldn't get in a rhythm with the spare minutes he was given?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still don't understand how a guy who was arguably the best shooter on his college team, was so bad at hitting his shot in the NBA. Perhaps he couldn't get in a rhythm with the spare minutes he was given?
That’s probably part of it. Further 3pt line and faster defenders closing out too probably caused stix to press more too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He always had blocked shots in games, too. He had uncanny timing on blocking shots. So he was advertised as a shooting PF, but ended up being a rebounder and shot blocker, which were the two things people worried he may not be able to do in the NBA.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
He always had blocked shots in games, too. He had uncanny timing on blocking shots. So he was advertised as a shooting PF, but ended up being a rebounder and shot blocker, which were the two things people worried he may not be able to do in the NBA.
They were shocked when he could put the ball down & attack the basket too...which he did way better than shooting the 3.

In college his 3 ball was the icing on the cake. Not the cake.

Last edited:

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe he had to learn how to apply his skills but it takes real game time to know to do it in the game too on the highest of levels.

Monty & the Suns had no time to give & no time to wait. I wish they had tho.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe he had to learn how to apply his skills but it takes real game time to know to do it in the game too on the highest of levels.

Monty & the Suns had no time to give & no time to wait. I wish they had tho.
Maybe a bit of quality coaching too? No? Or, maybe, coaching that got through better to him? Who knows????

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe a bit of quality coaching too? No?
Winning causes folks to not care about the how. Winning lets coaches keep their jobs. His coaching has a winning record.

Every coach has a system and thought Stix could do it if he got the time since he came from a very guard oriented system in college. He had to incorporate that 3 pointer and creating his own shot because they weren't too good at playing thru the post. The game has evolved.

I just think Monty had no time or room to be patient given the team Jones built.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It's starting to seem to me more and more that a lot of our issues are maybe "Monty" issues more than anything else. Playing time for Stix and bench guys in the playoffs, Ayton not being used effectively, Paul playing injured, the team suddenly losing motivation in the playoffs... not to mention all of his questionable coaching "strategies" or lack thereof.

I'm starting to wonder about him wearing out his welcome in New Orleans. It will be interesting to see if it comes down to choosing between Monty and the guys who Monty alienates... which way will the Suns go and how much will they regret it in a couple years?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what the GSW and Celtics have on us? Time together which we wont have if we keep this revolving door of dumbassery.

Booker, Ayton, and Mikal have had 4 years together. Cam J and Payne have 3 years with those above. Same goes for Saric. Paul and Crowder have 2 years with all those listed before.

We brought back essentially the same team as last year plus a few additions, Shamet, McGee, and Bismack.

This club has had time together. I don't think it's time to blow it up but I believe a change is needed. I'm not sure what that change is but it needs to make the team look different next year, stylistically. Maybe getting a bigger and more physical PF will do that. I'm not sure.

I'm open to a number of things but I'm not making the decisions. I can only give my views on what has been proposed. There's a few trades I've liked and would support and others that I've hated.

I hope James Jones looks at more than just swapping out our starting Center because that seems the most likely change but isnt necessarily the one that should be made.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You know what the GSW and Celtics have on us? Time together which we wont have if we keep this revolving door of dumbassery.
ESPN did a story on how all the Eastern teams kept moving pieces, except the Celtics who stayed put with their guys, and it worked for the Celtics.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN did a story on how all the Eastern teams kept moving pieces, except the Celtics who stayed put with their guys, and it worked for the Celtics.

They got a new coach and that did the trick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's starting to seem to me more and more that a lot of our issues are maybe "Monty" issues more than anything else. Playing time for Stix and bench guys in the playoffs, Ayton not being used effectively, Paul playing injured, the team suddenly losing motivation in the playoffs... not to mention all of his questionable coaching "strategies" or lack thereof.

I'm starting to wonder about him wearing out his welcome in New Orleans. It will be interesting to see if it comes down to choosing between Monty and the guys who Monty alienates... which way will the Suns go and how much will they regret it in a couple years?

I've been reluctant to criticize Monty but I'm starting to wonder if some of the issues relate to him.

Monty seems to have a tendency to stick with certain players even when they are not producing.

He was reluctant to play Jalen Smith and Aaron Holiday even when it looked like they could help the team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been reluctant to criticize Monty but I'm starting to wonder if some of the issues relate to him.

Monty seems to have a tendency to stick with certain players even when they are not producing.

He was reluctant to play Jalen Smith and Aaron Holiday even when it looked like they could help the team.

Abdel Nadar and Landry Shamet say hi

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Celtics have changed that whole damn team and the coach.

Kyrie, Tatum, Hayward and Brown were the core.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abdel Nadar and Landry Shamet say hi
He was playing Ish over Stix after Stix had already shown the ability to make an impact on the court.

After these playoffs, I firmly believe Monty is Doug Collins AND this team needed it’s Phil Jackson to win it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A few of us have been shouting about this from the get go. Since last season even. Even the play by play guys brought up playing Holiday multiple times in both series. Look, he wasn't going to be the second coming of Chris Paul but there is no way he could have played any worse than Payne, Shamet or even Paul's last handful of games. It's a flaw Monty showed last playoffs as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was playing Ish over Stix after Stix had already shown the ability to make an impact on the court.

After these playoffs, I firmly believe Monty is Doug Collins AND this team needed it’s Phil Jackson to win it.

Yeah I already had questions and this year just put the nail in his coffin for me.

The fact this team just went left after it clinched let me know he wasn’t in command

His comment about “we weren’t prepared to match there intensity” after getting blown out in game 6 was so bad.

His comments about our “young core” bringing up Booker, Bridges and Shamet. I’m sorry WTF.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few of us have been shouting about this from the get go. Since last season even. Even the play by play guys brought up playing Holiday multiple times in both series. Look, he wasn't going to be the second coming of Chris Paul but there is no way he could have played any worse than Payne, Shamet or even Paul's last handful of games. It's a flaw Monty showed last playoffs as well.

Personally I have found it hard to criticize a coach that took the Suns to the Finals last season and set a franchise record for wins this season. I figured Monty had his reasons for the decisions he made.

As a fan though, I question whether he is too loyal to certain players at the cost of not playing other players.

This is where I wonder if a valued opinion from an assistant coach would have helped such as former assistant Willie Green.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I have found it hard to criticize a coach that took the Suns to the Finals last season and set a franchise record for wins this season. I figured Monty had his reasons for the decisions he made.

As a fan though, I question whether he is too loyal to certain players at the cost of not playing other players.

This is where I wonder if another valued opinion from an assistant coach would have helped such as former assistant Willie Green.
Even a good coach isn't beyond reproach. It's not the same thing as saying "Monty sucks". Sometimes people act like a good coach or good player are immune to criticism (not saying you).