Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi series (Disney+)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get Harry Potter/Dursley vibes from Owen Lars?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Episode 3 was good as well, we see how unprepared Obi Wan is and how far he has fallen from his Clone Wars era level. Also I saw in the credits that Zach Braff was in it, was he one of the speaking stormtroopers or was he the alien driving that transport?

Even though we knew how it was going to end the "fight" was more of a butt whooping than anything else. Vader obviously wants Obi Wan to suffer and not die quickly. It was obvious how much more powerful Vader was then Kenobi in his current state. Maybe getting his butt handed to him will finally be the push needed for Qui Gon to finally speak to him to prepare him for the next time they meet

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Episode 3 was good as well, we see how unprepared Obi Wan is and how far he has fallen from his Clone Wars era level. Also I saw in the credits that Zach Braff was in it, was he one of the speaking stormtroopers or was he the alien driving that transport?

Even though we knew how it was going to end the "fight" was more of a butt whooping than anything else. Vader obviously wants Obi Wan to suffer and not die quickly. It was obvious how much more powerful Vader was then Kenobi in his current state. Maybe getting his butt handed to him will finally be the push needed for Qui Gon to finally speak to him to prepare him for the next time they meet

I’m very surprised they put that fight in this early in the series. I knew it would come but I didn’t know how involved “that” character would be in this show.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re gonna put the man in the show, you gotta give him the damn theme to go with it! One completes the other.

Also, with all the tech in that universe, there’s no digital WANTED posters sent around to the stormtroopers so they actually KNOW who the hell they’re looking for?

Other than those two quibbles (and the theme is really the biggest one), solid 3rd episode. McGregor is really killing it. I think Leia is really good and can’t fathom the amount of hate Reva is getting. She’s perfectly fine.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re gonna put the man in the show, you gotta give him the damn theme to go with it! One completes the other.

Also, with all the tech in that universe, there’s no digital WANTED posters sent around to the stormtroopers so they actually KNOW who the hell they’re looking for?

Other than those two quibbles (and the theme is really the biggest one), solid 3rd episode. McGregor is really killing it. I think Leia is really good and can’t fathom the amount of hate Reva is getting. She’s perfectly fine.
That little actress (Vivien Lyra Blair) is perfect IMO. She is smart and sassy and exactly the kind of child you thought she might be. McGregor is killing it. Reva is fine. Just more toxic b.s. from Star Wars fans. He is simply awesome.

The jury is still out on the confrontation for me even though it made sense in the context of THIS story. Why? In the movies Vader says about the last time they met “I was but a learner, now I am the master”. That confrontation doesn't mesh with that at all and breaks canon. That confrontation might be a red herring and there is more to come. If that is the case I am OK with it. If not? I have a big issue with it. I personally think by the end Obi gets back to form and we see another. Again, if not? I have a huge issue with that scene.

One other minor complaint is his escape. Vader just moments before put out the fire. Why didn't he do so again and stop Obi? Why didn't he use the force to stop the droid? They were only separated by flames. Did he let Obi Wan escape? Did he have PTSD from the fire? Some things don't add up about that scene in general.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That little actress (Vivien Lyra Blair) is perfect IMO. She is smart and sassy and exactly the kind of child you thought she might be. McGregor is killing it. Reva is fine. Just more toxic b.s. from Star Wars fans. He is simply awesome.

The jury is still out on the confrontation for me even though it made sense in the context of THIS story. Why? In the movies Vader says about the last time they met “I was but a learner, now I am the master”. That confrontation doesn't mesh with that at all and breaks canon. That confrontation might be a red herring and there is more to come. If that is the case I am OK with it. If not? I have a big issue with it. I personally think by the end Obi gets back to form and we see another. Again, if not? I have a huge issue with that scene.

One other minor complaint is his escape. Vader just moments before put out the fire. Why didn't he do so again and stop Obi? Why didn't he use the force to stop the droid? They were only separated by flames. Did he let Obi Wan escape? Did he have PTSD from the fire? Some things don't add up about that scene in general.
Yeah… there has to be more to come. They didn’t blow their wad in Episode 3 and Filoni and Favreau, the shepherds of the entire Star Wars Universe know every line of the OG OT.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. This is a funny meme. Dumb but funny. I mean there is no way they didn't go back for the vehicle and drive it to the port. I never assumed they walked all that way on foot.

You must be registered for see images attach

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Comments on Spoiler.
That entire scene was bad. It was purely driven by we have 6 episodes and this is only episode 3. Vader could have put out the fire again like he had just done, force dragged Obi-wan back to him like he had just been doing, or used the force on the droid. We know he was in range because he was just doing it. There's no good reason other than plot armor.

The PTSD types of arguments don't hold up for the fact that Fortress Vader was not only built on Mustafar but was surrounded by lava. If that doesn't trigger him then a little bon fire in a query shouldn't.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Comments on Spoiler.
That entire scene was bad. It was purely driven by we have 6 episodes and this is only episode 3. Vader could have put out the fire again like he had just done, force dragged Obi-wan back to him like he had just been doing, or used the force on the droid. We know he was in range because he was just doing it. There's no good reason other than plot armor.

The PTSD types of arguments don't hold up for the fact that Fortress Vader was not only built on Mustafar but was surrounded by lava. If that doesn't trigger him then a little bon fire in a query shouldn't.
Not sure I agree. Sitting in your ivory tower is a tad different than being right in front of fire and seeing Obi completely singed. There is also a possibility something else was at play. Too early to tell.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Not sure I agree. Sitting in your ivory tower is a tad different than being right in front of fire and seeing Obi completely singed. There is also a possibility something else was at play. Too early to tell.
It's not really an ivy tower though. It's pretty gnarly. Basically a sea of lava around him. He's not for the faint of heart. :)

I still don't think this was anything other than plot armor. Yes, it might be different standing there vs in the castle but that doesn't account for him being fine standing in the same exact spot using the force to move Obi-wan and put out the fire 10 seconds earlier. At a minimum I would think he'd do the wind put out the fire trick again if he was scared.

But let's give the benefit of the doubt and say he was triggered by it. Why didn't anyone else act to contain the droid with Obi-wan or pursue them as they left. They fired a few clumsy shots and that's it. Everyone standing around saying "well we lost them" feels like the writers didn't know how to end it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not really an ivy tower though. It's pretty gnarly. Basically a sea of lava around him. He's not for the faint of heart. :)

I still don't think this was anything other than plot armor. Yes, it might be different standing there vs in the castle but that doesn't account for him being fine standing in the same exact spot using the force to move Obi-wan and put out the fire 10 seconds earlier. At a minimum I would think he'd do the wind put out the fire trick again if he was scared.

But let's give the benefit of the doubt and say he was triggered by it. Why didn't anyone else act to contain the droid with Obi-wan or pursue them as they left. They fired a few clumsy shots and that's it. Everyone standing around saying "well we lost them" feels like the writers didn't know how to end it.
Stormtroopers shooting clumsy shots? No way!

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Stormtroopers shooting clumsy shots? No way!
I know! It's hard to believe!

It's one of those tropes that I wish they didn't run with. To me, it grew out of plot armor. In SW Obi-wan talks about the blast marks being too accurate for Sand People and that only storm troopers are so precise. Then the rest of the movie they can't hit anything because they're only shooting at our main characters. It would have been nice if they dispelled it a bit in one of the follow up works by having the Stormtroopers be more accurate and shoot some people. A throw away line about Obi-wan creating a force bubble or something that caused it to happen could have been put in too. I just want the bad guys to be a bit more of a threat.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Again not so sure. I think there is something there when he blew out the fire and tossed Obi clear. He could have let him cook longer. He could have let him die in the fire. This 100% lines up with the conflict Luke sensed in Vader. It was always there. There was good in him. It's not as far fetched as you think.

We agree the scene could have been stronger. I had an issue with how easy it was to get away even though there was a wall of fire and the impression was from their end they couldn't see much on the other side.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Again not so sure. I think there is something there when he blew out the fire and tossed Obi clear. He could have let him cook longer. He could have let him die in the fire. This 100% lines up with the conflict Luke sensed in Vader. It was always there. There was good in him. It's not as far fetched as you think.

We agree the scene could have been stronger. I had an issue with how easy it was to get away even though there was a wall of fire and the impression was from their end they couldn't see much on the other side.
I can see your point about he could have let him die in the fire but didn't do it due to being conflicted. I interpreted that action a little differently. When I was watching it last night I thought he pulled him out of the fire because wanted to keep him alive to torture, interrogate, and do other bad guy stuff to. I gave him a more sadistic motive. Hopefully the next episode will have something on his motivate. Like Reva confronting him over not killing Obi or something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

man... I think you're reading a TON into what was just a pretty weak escape after they wrote themselves into a fun corner.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see your point about he could have let him die in the fire but didn't do it due to being conflicted. I interpreted that action a little differently. When I was watching it last night I thought he pulled him out of the fire because wanted to keep him alive to torture, interrogate, and do other bad guy stuff to. I gave him a more sadistic motive. Hopefully the next episode will have something on his motivate. Like Reva confronting him over not killing Obi or something.
this. he said this was only going to be the beginning of the character's suffering.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know! It's hard to believe!

It's one of those tropes that I wish they didn't run with. To me, it grew out of plot armor. In SW Obi-wan talks about the blast marks being too accurate for Sand People and that only storm troopers are so precise. Then the rest of the movie they can't hit anything because they're only shooting at our main characters. It would have been nice if they dispelled it a bit in one of the follow up works by having the Stormtroopers be more accurate and shoot some people. A throw away line about Obi-wan creating a force bubble or something that caused it to happen could have been put in too. I just want the bad guys to be a bit more of a threat.
I can go along with that. Although I like the show more than you.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I can go along with that. Although I like the show more than you.
You're also getting to see how big of a nerd I am. We sit around arguing about pointless details in our favorite movies. ;)

The stormtrooper accuracy is one I've had many times before. All I'm doing here is summarizing old fights. :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
man... I think you're reading a TON into what was just a pretty weak escape after they wrote themselves into a fun corner.
Oh I said that. See above. I am just saying the scenario is plausible because to me, some things (as I said originally) don't add up in that scene.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I am not sure how they are going to play out the Reva/Leia encounter, Obi Wan is in no shape to rescue her and I can't see Leia getting away on her own.

As for Obi/Vader...
My theory is this, the butt whooping just handed to Obi Wan will be just the thing that gets him in touch with the ghost of Qui Gon (they can't continually show him trying to reach him without paying that out), who in turn will motivate him to train/relearn/whatever and we will see another fight with Vader in Episode 6, this time with a more prepared and strong Obi Wan and a more confident Vader (which will be his weakness again).

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I am not sure how they are going to play out the Reva/Leia encounter, Obi Wan is in no shape to rescue her and I can't see Leia getting away on her own.

As for Obi/Vader...
My theory is this, the butt whooping just handed to Obi Wan will be just the thing that gets him in touch with the ghost of Qui Gon (they can't continually show him trying to reach him without paying that out), who in turn will motivate him to train/relearn/whatever and we will see another fight with Vader in Episode 6, this time with a more prepared and strong Obi Wan and a more confident Vader (which will be his weakness again).

Below is my rough working theory on Reva/Leia. It's pure speculation on my part. I haven't seen any leaks or rumors on it.

I think they already have Reva set up to have a redemption arc in the series. I think this is almost 100% guaranteed with the way it's going.

So my question has been how are they going to redeem her. Initially I was thinking she was going to help Obi-wan defeat Vader and help cover his tracks when he goes back into hiding. I've been revising it a bit though after E3 and she finds Leia. Now I'm thinking it might be something along the lines of:
- She starts to bring in Leia.
- Leia tugs the heart strings and wins her over. Leia is the catalyst for getting Reva to switch back to the light side.
- Reva then starts protecting Leia and works to get her back to Obi-wan.
- When they find Obi-wan Vader shows up and we get the show's final showdown between Obi-wan and Vader.
- Vader is starting to get the upper hand so she jumps into the fight to help Obi-wan.
- During the fighting something puts Leia in danger
- Reva tell Obi-wan to save the Princess and that she'll cover him.
- Obi-wan gets Leia and slips away saving her.
- Vader kills Reva as she gives Obi-wan the time to get away.

Her dying in this fashion gives a little bit of symmetry to the show's opening scene where she's getting saved by the Jedi during Order 66. It also cleans up the "where is Reva?" question for the rest of the timeline since we know she wasn't around for A New Hope.

The one issue big issue I have with this (I already have this a little with what we've seen) is why doesn't the Empire and Vader keep going after Leia for the next 9 years. We've seen that going after here was an affective way to lure out Obi-wan now. Maybe they work in something that makes it looks like Obi-wan and Leia die. That would see to work for Obi-wan going back into hiding but I'm not sure if that satisfies Leia and her interactions with Vader in A New Hope though.

I'm heading to the dog park now. I'm going to have to ponder this some more while I watch Missy run around. :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Below is my rough working theory on Reva/Leia. It's pure speculation on my part. I haven't seen any leaks or rumors on it.

I think they already have Reva set up to have a redemption arc in the series. I think this is almost 100% guaranteed with the way it's going.

So my question has been how are they going to redeem her. Initially I was thinking she was going to help Obi-wan defeat Vader and help cover his tracks when he goes back into hiding. I've been revising it a bit though after E3 and she finds Leia. Now I'm thinking it might be something along the lines of:
- Leia tugs the heart strings and wins her over. Leia is the catalyst for getting Reva to switch back to the light side.
- When they find Obi-wan Vader shows up and we get the show's final showdown between Obi-wan and Vader.
- Vader is starting to get the upper hand so she jumps into the fight to help Obi-wan.

Her dying in this fashion gives a little bit of symmetry to the show's opening scene where she's getting saved by the Jedi during Order 66. It also cleans up the "where is Reva?" question for the rest of the timeline since we know she wasn't around for A New Hope.

The one issue big issue I have with this (I already have this a little with what we've seen) is why doesn't the Empire and Vader keep going after Leia for the next 9 years. We've seen that going after here was an affective way to lure out Obi-wan now. Maybe they work in something that makes it looks like Obi-wan and Leia die. That would see to work for Obi-wan going back into hiding but I'm not sure if that satisfies Leia and her interactions with Vader in A New Hope though.

I'm heading to the dog park now. I'm going to have to ponder this some more while I watch Missy run around. :)

I like your theory. Redemption is a big part of Star Wars and that angle wouldn't shock me one bit.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had similar thoughts after watching the first two episodes and seeing this...............

I had the exact same thoughts as soon as I found online a repost of the opening scene episode one where people are speculating it's Reva in that scene. Later, when Obi was describing what an Inquisitor was they specifically said many are former Jedi/Force sensitives turned to the dark side seem to mesh with it being her in the opening scene.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave