Top Gun: Maverick

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure the movie had things in it I wasn't already expecting. So, I don't think anything he told you could really spoil it?!?
Yeah he did. At least he didn’t spoil the final act/set piece.

Still ridiculously fun and had a blast.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah.

Not sure if there are many plot items that would impact the movie.

Maybe some of the scenes or call backs that got a good reaction

The film itself is pretty straight forward
Two things he said in one sentence and I literally knew how the entire movie was going to play out down to the specific story beats. There weren’t “big twists” but theres a different experience watching a movie and expecting certain things to happen versus knowing how they are going to happen and seeing exactly how they’re going to happen because of that.

I just wanted to go into that movie blind but the second I saw the first one coming before they even got to the scene, my screenwriting brain took over against my will and had me ahead of the entire movie instead of just sitting back and enjoying the ride.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty cool.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Note: My father once pulled 9 G's in an F-15, and they grounded his ass for a month.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Few Good Men is probably the best movie he’s been in but Magnolia and Collateral were his best performances IMO.
Hoffman got the Oscar for the “flashy” performance in Rain Man, but Cruise is a powerhouse in that movie and outshines him upon rewatch. He’s the one with the actual character arc that makes the movie work like gangbusters.

And he’s note perfect in Jerry Maguire.

I think people forget that before Cruise started trying to kill himself on screen for our delight, he was an incredible actor who sought out the best directors (Scorcese, Stone, Reiner, PT Anderson, Michael Mann) and incredibly challenging roles.

I hope when he runs out of whatever virgin blood he drinks that keeps his body moving, he gets back to that kind of actor because he was electric on screen.

Until then, I will definitely enjoy watching him deliver the greatest spectacle any action star has consistently put on screen.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hoffman got the Oscar for the “flashy” performance in Rain Man, but Cruise is a powerhouse in that movie and outshines him upon rewatch. He’s the one with the actual character arc that makes the movie work like gangbusters.

And he’s more perfect in Jerry Maguire.

I think people forget that before Cruise started trying to kill himself on screen for our delight, he was an incredible actor who sought out the best directors (Scorcese, Stone, Reiner, PT Anderson, Michael Mann) and incredibly challenging roles.

I hope when he runs out of whatever virgin blood he drinks that keeps his body moving, he gets back to that kind of actor because he was electric on screen.

Until then, I will definitely enjoy watching him deliver the greatest spectacle any action star has consistently put on screen.
Also Spielberg, Kubrick, De Palma and Howard. He’s always been a smart picker. Even ones lately you don’t think much about like Edge Of Tomorrow and American Made are great movies.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Spielberg, Kubrick, De Palma and Howard. He’s always been a smart picker. Even ones lately you don’t think much about like Edge Of Tomorrow and American Made are great movies.

oh yeah... I knew I was forgetting one more huge auteur he worked with. how the hell could I forget Kubrick?! Cruise is nails in Eyes Wide Shut.

and Edge Of Tomorrow is a totally under the radar classic, despite the last ten minutes making zero sense whatsoever. The first 2 acts of that movie are pure popcorn entertainment bliss.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
One thing I like about Cruise too is that he seems to care about the technical aspects of his movies. He did the PSA a couple years ago against the soap opera effect in TVs. Then all of his movies are great for bass and Atmos. It feels like he has to have a hand in it since all of his movies are solid in it compared to other movies. I swear that he has a really awesome home theater and makes sure that his movies kick butt in it. :)

And anyone that doesn't list EoT in their list of Cruise films is obviously not a basshead. That movie is infamous with us. The opening of the movie is known as a sub killer due to how harsh and demanding it is to play. It's crazy watching the cone movement on my 24" with it.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Biggest Memorial Day weekend opening of all time.

But…but theatre’s are dead.

And one of the best movies of all time! Wow that was good!

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, yeah, no. I'm not seeing it so I'm not going to try to judge just how good it is or not, but I'm safe in saying it's not one of the best movies of all time :)
While I agree. It was definitely fantastic and incredibly awesome. Your loss :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
While I agree. It was definitely fantastic and incredibly awesome. Your loss :)
I getcha. I liked the original but never went back for a re-watch. I don't think the nostalgia would then do much for me. I'm glad a lot of people are liking it, though. The theaters could use the boost. Between this and Doctor Strange, it's looking up for the industry.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good movie, nice follow up to original. Banter during some of the flying scenes was a little bit of a stretch for me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I saw this last Tuesday, a buddy of mine is a huge movie dork and gets advanced passes and he knows that the original is a movie I probably have seen 50 times.

I didn't want to give my 2 cents right away, I was worried anything I said would be spoilerish.

But... seeing what others have said I will give my "non-spoiler" review. It was even more over the top than the first film, Maverick probably could have been court-martialed 5 times. But it is wildly entertaining, very nostalgic. It's just a fun movie.

Literally my only complaint is that the sound track is not as good as the first film... but that is a hard hill to climb, because it's one of the greatest sound tracks of all time.

Side note: My dad served in the Air Force and flew F-5s, the "Mig 28" of the original flim. They're still around, mostly as T-38s, the super sonic trainer for the Air Force. But, mostly because of the original film, nothing is as cool as the F-14. In terms of fighter planes it is a massive aircraft, yet it had incredible maneuverability in low speed dog fights and virtually nothing could beat it at supersonic speed, both factors due to it's variable wing. A gorgeous aircraft. Too bad we sold a bunch to Iran and got paranoid about extending it's life span or it would likely still in service and upgraded today.

Last edited:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Literally my only complaint is that the sound track is not as good as the first film... but that is a hard hill to climb, because it's one of the greatest sound tracks of all time.

Side note: My dad served in the Air Force and flew F-5s, the "Mig 28" of the original flim. They're still around, mostly as T-38s, the super sonic trainer for the Air Force. But, mostly because of the original film, nothing is as cool as the F-14. In terms of fighter planes it is a massive aircraft, yet it had incredible maneuverability in low speed dog fights and virtually nothing could beat it at supersonic speed, both factors due to it's variable wing. A gorgeous aircraft. Too bad we sold a bunch to Iran and got paranoid about extending it's life span or it would likely still in service and upgraded today.

I think you did find the only flaw in this movie. That soundtrack is one of the all time greats.

You and me share the same background. My father also flew F-5's, among others. I am a little surprised you choose the Navy F-14 over the (IMO, cooler) F-15.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you did find the only flaw in this movie. That soundtrack is one of the all time greats.

You and me share the same background. My father also flew F-5's, among others. I am a little surprised you choose the Navy F-14 over the (IMO, cooler) F-15.
When I was in the Air Force I got offered an incentive ride in the back of an F-15E I immediately and without hesitation told them while I’m grateful I decline… I’m afraid to fly still am to this day… I literally hate it I don’t let it affect my life and I travel all over the world but I’m on edge the entire time on an airplane I can’t even sleep…

Now with all that being said I truly regret passing up on it at this point very few people get the opportunity and I should’ve taken them up on it. But with my fear of flying it doesn’t matter what you tell those pilots once they take you up theyre in control and they’re gonna do what they’re gonna do and I didn’t trust them to not spin me flip me turn me upside down etc. My fear is bad enough as it is that’s the last thing I needed back then.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was in the Air Force I got offered an incentive ride in the back of an F-15E I immediately and without hesitation told them while I’m grateful I decline… I’m afraid to fly still am to this day… I literally hate it I don’t let it affect my life and I travel all over the world but I’m on edge the entire time on an airplane I can’t even sleep…

Now with all that being said I truly regret passing up on it at this point very few people get the opportunity and I should’ve taken them up on it. But with my fear of flying it doesn’t matter what you tell those pilots once they take you up theyre in control and they’re gonna do what they’re gonna do and I didn’t trust them to not spin me flip me turn me upside down etc. My fear is bad enough as it is that’s the last thing I needed back then.
Wuss.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not the same but the wife told me she is going to buy me one of those rides on a jet. I keep reminding her she needs to do it while my body can handle it. LOL.