Suns Off-season Thread

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After watching the Warriors go up 3-0 it's clear we need better ball handlers and playmakers as well as rebounding wings.

Can we get what we need from free agency? We have close to $25 million in expiring contracts with Crowder, Saric, and Craig. If we're not keen on paying Cam Johnson long term, then he could be a key assets to add to expirings to get a player or two.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In no order:
Embiid
Jokic
KAT
Gobert
Valencunius
Bam

Again, I’m not sure I agree with all of them, just reporting what I saw on the first 8 sites I looked at.
Guys I’d take ahead of Ayton or trade Ayton straight up for

Embiid
Joker

That’s it

BAM is great I love him and would rank him in the top 4 with Ayton, Joker and Embiid

Defensive ranking
104/105
Rebounding
10.2/10.1
Bocks
0.7/0.8

There stats are scary similar but Ayton is better at getting his own shot. BAM is a better rim runner he’s a lot small and quicker. Both are the two best when it comes to switching on guards

KAT? Oh if you think Ayton is soft?you ain’t seen nothing yet. There was a time when I would of pulled this trade off in a heart beat, but watching KAT damn near have panick attacks on the court at the end of the year made me change my mind.

I’ve never seen one list with Jonas ahead of Ayton it’s Vucevic they mention and there was a time when I would of made this trade to. Hell I even started a thread on it. But he actually had a pretty bad year and I think he was benched late in the year. I think. His % were all down dramatically. He looks like he starting to show his age

Gobert I don’t mind Rudy and think they use him wrong in Utah it def doesn’t help that Spida flat out refuses to pass to him. Honestly I hope he gets out of that mess and goes somewhere they appreciate him. But he is strictly a rim protector. It’s 2022 and he flat out cannot switch he’s not fast enough and his feet aren’t that good. He’s an old school center in a new school NBA. He offers nothing on offense at all. No mid range, no jump hook no nothing, but again I don’t fault him Utah has never developed him

That’s why I say Ayton is too 4 and when you factor in his age I think it’s pretty clear.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Guys I’d take ahead of Ayton or trade Ayton straight up for

Embiid
Joker

That’s it

BAM is great I love him and would rank him in the top 4 with Ayton, Joker and Embiid

Defensive ranking
104/105
Rebounding
10.2/10.1
Bocks
0.7/0.8

There stats are scary similar but Ayton is better at getting his own shot. BAM is a better rim runner he’s a lot small and quicker. Both are the two best when it comes to switching on guards

KAT? Oh if you think Ayton is soft?you ain’t seen nothing yet. There was a time when I would of pulled this trade off in a heart beat, but watching KAT damn near have panick attacks on the court at the end of the year made me change my mind.

I’ve never seen one list with Jonas ahead of Ayton it’s Vucevic they mention and there was a time when I would of made this trade to. Hell I even started a thread on it. But he actually had a pretty bad year and I think he was benched late in the year. I think. His % were all down dramatically. He looks like he starting to show his age

Gobert I don’t mind Rudy and think they use him wrong in Utah it def doesn’t help that Spida flat out refuses to pass to him. Honestly I hope he gets out of that mess and goes somewhere they appreciate him. But he is strictly a rim protector. It’s 2022 and he flat out cannot switch he’s not fast enough and his feet aren’t that good. He’s an old school center in a new school NBA. He offers nothing on offense at all. No mid range, no jump hook no nothing, but again I don’t fault him Utah has never developed him

That’s why I say Ayton is too 4 and when you factor in his age I think it’s pretty clear.
Lol. Who are you arguing with here? The 8 articles’ authors I looked at? Just reporting what I found.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol. Who are you arguing with here? The 8 articles’ authors I looked at? Just reporting what I found.
Don’t turn into that certain other guy this isn’t a fight, an argument or an attack.

I’m not “arguing” with anyone just. I said Ayton is top 5 at his position and I’ve made my case.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So contract negotiations and extensions in regards to our cap space.

Is there a certain route we want to take in signing/extending guys and taking on new contracts?

Does ayton have to be signed last so (unlikely) we can go over the cap?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is there a certain route we want to take in signing/extending guys and taking on new contracts?

Doesn't really matter this off-season since we're in cap hell and likely paying the luxury tax.

There's a chance Cam Johnson won't be extended this off-season is too much money is spent elsewhere but he's still under contract for next season regardless. He'll be a restricted free agent next off-season so there's no rush to lock him up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter this off-season since we're in cap hell and likely paying the luxury tax.

There's a chance Cam Johnson won't be extended this off-season is too much money is spent elsewhere but he's still under contract for next season regardless. He'll be a restricted free agent next off-season so there's no rush to lock him up.

The more I think about it, I think Cam Johnson's extension gets done if it's halfway reasonable. It doesn't start until the following season so it's not an immediate hit salary wise.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

The Suns don't have any cap space. They have the MLE and (I think?) the bi-annual exception.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It’s going to get ugly quick

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just listened to the recent Timeline podcast and they did a good job exploring the realities of an Ayton trade and the Suns offseason situation. I recommend a listen.

Anyway the reality of a sign an trade is quite bleak as the Suns would only be able to take back 19 million in return and historical returns in sign and trades are less than stellar. And if we match his offer sheet we would not be able to trade him for a full year without his consent and we would be prohibited from trading him to the team who signed him to the offer sheet consent or not.

It's much more likely that we resign him and look to improve the team using our expirings, picks, and an asset like Bridges or Cam Johnson.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting tweets from Sidery. Eason is projected to go in the middle of the first round. Charlotte owns picks #13 and #15 and reportedly have interest in Ayton. OKC has been linked to Ayton as well and they have pick #12

Both Liddell and Moore have been projected to be late first rounders. OKC also owns our #30 pick and Indy is interesting at #31 with reported interest in Ayton, the first pick in the 2md round.

Probably just due diligence but interesting nonetheless. Something to watch.

Nembhard and Brockington look like UDFAs according to projections.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting tweets from Sidery. Eason is projected to go in the middle of the first round. Charlotte owns picks #13 and #15 and reportedly have interest in Ayton. OKC has been linked to Ayton as well and they have pick #12

Both Liddell and Moore have been projected to be late first rounders. OKC also owns our #30 pick and Indy is interesting at #31 with reported interest in Ayton, the first pick in the 2md round.

Possibly the Suns could also be exploring other trades as well. The Suns are in position to add future draft picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possibly the Suns could also be exploring other trades as well. The Suns are in position to add future draft picks.
I would think we're more likely to trade future draft picks for a player or a pick in this draft than to add future picks. Although if we're dumb enough or feel forced enough to trade Ayton, I guess future picks might play a role.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ugh, neither OKC or Charlotte have anything that appealing. I like Rozier but he doesn't fit here with Booker and Paul. I like SGA but they're not trading him for Ayton.

Looking at Charlotte more I think I'd puke if we got a rookie and Mason Plumlee for Ayton. I don't see who else they'd trade to make salaries work other than Oubre and that isn't happening. I wouldn't mind him as a bench scorer but unless they'd swap him for Saric, I'm not very interested.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh, neither OKC or Charlotte have anything that appealing. I like Rozier but he doesn't fit here with Booker and Paul. I like SGA but they're not trading him for Ayton.

Looking at Charlotte more I think I'd puke if we got a rookie and Mason Plumlee for Ayton. I don't see who else they'd trade to make salaries work other than Oubre and that isn't happening. I wouldn't mind him as a bench scorer but unless they'd swap him for Saric, I'm not very interested.

As you said Rozier is interesting and Jones had eyes for him before we settled on Rubio A couple years ago. He could be a bridge from CP3 to our next point guard and take pressure off Book and CP3.

Miles Bridges and PJ Washington are interesting, but I find it hard to believe Charlotte would part with the former.

But any trade with Charlotte would leave us really thin at center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think we're more likely to trade future draft picks for a player or a pick in this draft than to add future picks. Although if we're dumb enough or feel forced enough to trade Ayton, I guess future picks might play a role.

Actually I wasn't thinking about Ayton.

The Suns might consider attaching one of their own future draft pick(s) to move one of their players in trade to clear salary or to add a draft pick or player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you said Rozier is interesting and Jones had eyes for him before we settled on Rubio A couple years ago. Miles Bridges and PJ Washington are interesting, but I find it hard to believe Charlotte would part with the former.

I ruled out Miles Bridges because he's a Restricted Free Agent like Ayton so the idea of a double sign and trade with picks doesn't seem likely.

I forgot about how there were previous links to Rozier. That makes this a little more interesting. We'd have a hole at Center but it'd also us to trade Cam Payne for someone. I'm not sure who but we have other expiring deals to combine with his to make salaries match, if that's the plan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's getting $19 million this year and signed an extension for the next 4 years.

Rozier is owed $21,486,316 next season. I thought the Suns could only take up to $19 million in return in a sign and trade.

Wouldn't the hypothetical trade be based on next year's salary?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rozier is owed $21,486,316 next season. I thought the Suns could only take up to $19 million in return in a sign and trade.

Wouldn't the hypothetical trade be based on next year's salary?

Other pieces would be involved. I've read low level scuttlebutt that Charlotte is willing to take on bad contracts. Shamet or Payne?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other pieces would be involved. I've read low level scuttlebutt that Charlotte is willing to take on bad contracts. Shamet or Payne?

I listened to the podcast as well. It was worth it.

If the Suns added other contracts I think they have to take contracts back in return.

The Suns have a number of contracts that they might want to move. The ones I think about the most are Saric, Crowder, Craig and Shamet.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am not a CBA/ Cap expert, but I am pretty sure you can't combine players in a sign-and-trade scenario. I don't think we can attach Dario, or Cam P, or anyone else to Ayton in any sign and trade scenario.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I am not a CBA/ Cap expert, but I am pretty sure you can't combine players in a sign-and-trade scenario. I don't think we can attach Dario, or Cam P, or anyone else to Ayton in any sign and trade scenario.

Can we receive mult players in return in a sign and trade scenario?