The Ayton Plan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All of this. At this point, Ayton isn't perfect, but signing him is the best move. CP is an albatross, and Booker is a star but likely will never be a top 5 player. (Still ok!)

I'm glad you brought up Cam J - pre injury, he looked like a 20m man. Post injury and into the playoffs, I'd pay him 15M per, but only because I believe in the character and shooting.
I expected Cam J to take a step forward this post season, but he took a big step backward instead. Very disappointing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't see the point in framing it like that. He can still get a max deal. It's not like that ship has sailed. Maybe it has here in Phoenix but if it has it's only because of the spat he had with Monty which wasn't him being mature and playing hard, provided that started or really boiled over when he refused to come back into game 7.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see the point in framing it like that. He can still get a max deal. It's not like that ship has sailed. Maybe it has here in Phoenix but if it has it's only because of the spat he had with Monty which wasn't him being mature and playing hard, provided that started or really boiled over when he refused to come back into game 7.

Either both ayton and the agent are seeking for the max or the agent is in his head. I think if ayton spoke for himself he’d sound more intelligent than his agent.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Boo hoo. Maybe they didn't like the fact he got 2 hours of sleep before games..among many other work ethic questions. There is definitely way more to this whole thing then even the franchise is letting float out there IMHO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Boo hoo. Maybe they didn't like the fact he got 2 hours of sleep before games..among many other work ethic questions. There is definitely way more to this whole thing then even the franchise is letting float out there IMHO.

So your telling me Ayton who killed it all season long and has improved every year now has work ethic problems

Ok

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So your telling me Ayton who killed it all season long and has improved every year now has work ethic problems

Ok

Don't you get tired of defending Ayton every time anyone says the slightest thing about him?

Every other Suns player has been taken to task lately but you still feel the need to talk up Ayton whenever he's mentioned. It has to be exhausting.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Ok
....and then gets called out by his low key head coach for being called a quitter...and not getting enough sleep before games. Yep...those are mental make-up/work ethic issues. IMO. Youth aside, I think it's a dangerous idea to give a max contract to someone with that kinda stuff going on. No one disputes how great he can be. It's just how terrible he can be at times as well. This is what you struggle with IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....and then gets called out by his low key head coach for being called a quitter...and not getting enough sleep before games. Yep...those are mental make-up/work ethic issues. IMO. Youth aside, I think it's a dangerous idea to give a max contract to someone with that kinda stuff going on. No one disputes how great he can be. It's just how terrible he can be at times as well. This is what you struggle with IMO.

I didn't hear any mention of Monty allegedly calling Ayton out for "...and not getting enough sleep before games."

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't hear any mention of Monty allegedly calling Ayton out for "not getting enough sleep before games."
Nope. That was meant for the bench interaction. Either way, I'm sure Monty would be at the forefront of that opinion as well as the head coach of the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. That was meant for the bench interaction. Either way, I'm sure Monty would be at the forefront of that opinion as well as the head coach of the team.

I had not heard Monty complain about Ayton playing video games so I understand that is your opinion.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I had not heard Monty complain about Ayton playing video games so I understand that is your opinion.
Come on of course he’s not gonna say anything! But your HC surely has an opinion of a player not getting proper rest cause he wants to play video games all night every night. You never hear of Booker or other players work ethic being questioned? Ayton has gotten marginally better, but still is head scratching inconsistent and A LOT of it looks to just be effort or LACK of I should say! Constantly being outrebounded by smaller teams is extremely frustrating to watch when he just stands there or gets boxed out by small guys it’s crazy, and his Hands suck imo. He’s young I would rather keep him if we can’t get fair value but I don’t expect him to turn into a dominant force either, he is what he is a frustrating inconsistent player who has lots of potential, but doesn’t seem to have the it factor to make him want to be the man!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't you get tired of defending Ayton every time anyone says the slightest thing about him?

Every other Suns player has been taken to task lately but you still feel the need to talk up Ayton whenever he's mentioned. It has to be exhausting.

No

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1 game

Your telling me Ayton wasn’t good this year while we won 64 games?

Your telling me Ayton wasn’t our most consistent player in the Mavs series?

Your telling me Ayton wasn’t our best defender in Luka?

Your telling me Ayton was t our best defender in the playoffs?

All those can be backed up by stats and numbers

This is what you struggle with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on of course he’s not gonna say anything! But your HC surely has an opinion of a player not getting proper rest cause he wants to play video games all night every night. You never hear of Booker or other players work ethic being questioned? Ayton has gotten marginally better, but still is head scratching inconsistent and A LOT of it looks to just be effort or LACK of I should say! Constantly being outrebounded by smaller teams is extremely frustrating to watch when he just stands there or gets boxed out by small guys it’s crazy, and his Hands suck imo. He’s young I would rather keep him if we can’t get fair value but I don’t expect him to turn into a dominant force either, he is what he is a frustrating inconsistent player who has lots of potential, but doesn’t seem to have the it factor to make him want to be the man!

I've been trying to separate opinion versus fact on what happened between Monty and Ayton. There is so much stuff out there on the internet. I want to make sure I get the true picture.

I'd like to see the Suns work it out with Ayton if possible. It's so hard to get equal value in sign and trades.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the best out of all your highlighted points. He disappears ALL the time. In the playoffs nonetheless. Don't let your love for him blind you to this. 1 game? Give me a break man. This dude takes games off. That's obvious to anyone's who has played and watched competitive sports for any decent amount of time IMO. That's also why he doesn't have that max contract either, IMO, and for good reason.

I'm also not going to compare which trash is better. That whole team played uninspired ball later in that series.. Ayton just always seems to be at the forefront in that category.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm also not going to compare which trash is better. That whole team played uninspired ball later in that series.. Ayton just always seems to be at the forefront in that category.

Just wanted to add to this there was only 1 player who wouldn't go back on the floor and avoided the media after game 7. That was the Dominaytor himself.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the best out of all your highlighted points. He disappears ALL the time. In the playoffs nonetheless. Don't let your love for him blind you to this. 1 game? Give me a break man. This dude takes games off. That's obvious to anyone's who has played and watched competitive sports for any decent amount of time IMO. That's also why he doesn't have that max contract either, IMO, and for good reason.

But that’s the funny thing. He was great in the playoffs last year and was pretty damn good all year and in the playoffs this year on top of being our best defender in the playoffs even better than Bridges in both series

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that’s the funny thing. He was great in the playoffs last year and was pretty damn good all year and in the playoffs this year on top of being our best defender in the playoffs even better than Bridges in both series
Yet he still does often disappear for stretches during games. Is incredibly soft around the bucket at times and appears to completely lose focus. His team has said it, his coach has said it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

#6 and Myles Turner would be a good haul. It'd have to be both. Turner is owed $17.5 million next year on an expiring deal.

Other than Turner they don't have a lot of lower salaried players to work in a deal. They'll have cap space so sending salary back isn't that big of a deal. They have Halliburton and TJ McConnell. McConnell wouldn't be bad but as a piece to make salaries work.

I doubt they'd trade Halliburton. If we did a sign and trade for Halliburton I'd be pissed since we could have drafted him. Normally that isn't a big deal, we could have drafted a lot of good players over the years but that was just 2 years ago, the majority of people thought that's who we'd take when he fell, and we already jettisoned our pick from that draft because JJ labeled him a bust, essentially.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Randle was also rumored to be in a trade. Don’t know if his attitude fits the culture.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the Pacers may be able to extend Myles Turner for two more seasons. He is under contract for next season.

As I understand it, the limit is 3 seasons including the years remaining. Myles Turner and #6 is attractive.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand what you are saying although I'm hoping that's not the issue.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson