Suns Off-season Thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You're right I should have worded that differently. Trade 3 future unprotected picks to move into position to draft one of the highly regarded PG's.
How highly regarded are they? I only ask because I don’t really recall there being a lot of hype in pgs this year. Are they fox level prospects?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Trade Paul to the Lakers for Anthony Davis, re-sign Ayton and trade multiple picks to move up and draft TyTy or JD Davison. Make DA a more integral part of the offense and cross your fingers that more opportunities will help him learn to focus on incoming passes.

Of the two, it's more likely the Suns get Westbrook than Davis for Chris Paul so I'm not high on dealing with the Lakers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How highly regarded are they? I only ask because I don’t really recall there being a lot of hype in pgs this year. Are they fox level prospects?
I just threw out two names but I think there are at least 4 PGs in this draft that have a good chance to excel in the pros and at least 4 more that have a chance of being around Haliburton's level.

Davison is a bit of a risk, he's got a lot of Dennis Smith in his game but the potential for stardom is certainly there.

TyTy is maybe the safest high-upside guard in this class. But I'd be thrilled with Chandler, Nembhard, Ivey, Johnny Davis or even Molinar. One of them is bound to drop quite a bit given all the potential stars at other positions.

This is a very good draft with lots of talent at the top, so much so that I think acquiring a pick in the 8 to 15 range could land us a good bet as our future starting point guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the two, it's more likely the Suns get Westbrook than Davis for Chris Paul so I'm not high on dealing with the Lakers.
I suspect you mean it's more likely the Lakers would be more likely to want to trade Westbrook for Paul and I'm pretty sure that's accurate. But I can't imagine us agreeing to trade for Westbrook under any circumstances unless it's a multi team trade with Russell going elsewhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect you mean it's more likely the Lakers would be more likely to want to trade Westbrook for Paul and I'm pretty sure that's accurate. But I can't imagine us agreeing to trade for Westbrook under any circumstances unless it's a multi team trade with Russell going elsewhere.

I think Westbrook is what the Lakers are offering so I don't really put much thought into trading with the Lakers unless Davis or Lebron demanded out.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I doubt this. There was a ton of discussion of Paul to lakers last offseason. Don’t think they work together? Not perfectly. But transcendent players often find ways to make it work if they want to. Lebron and Wade were both ball dominant players before teaming up.
No there wasn’t. Magic sent a tweet that the Lakers should go after Paul and all the hot take shows ran with it. There was never any insider reporting actual interest from either side.

CP3 is immovable at this point.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I bet if we traded CP to the Knicks, that they'd make the playoffs. We get rid of our albatross, the Knicks get a little shine, everyone wins!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way this team would take westbrook

And no way would I want Westbrook.

As a side note. He would clear salary space quicker as he only has one more season on his contract. The Suns could even dump a bad contract in a trade but then the luxury tax would bite them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just threw out two names but I think there are at least 4 PGs in this draft that have a good chance to excel in the pros and at least 4 more that have a chance of being around Haliburton's level.

Davison is a bit of a risk, he's got a lot of Dennis Smith in his game but the potential for stardom is certainly there.

TyTy is maybe the safest high-upside guard in this class. But I'd be thrilled with Chandler, Nembhard, Ivey, Johnny Davis or even Molinar. One of them is bound to drop quite a bit given all the potential stars at other positions.

This is a very good draft with lots of talent at the top, so much so that I think acquiring a pick in the 8 to 15 range could land us a good bet as our future starting point guard.
But interestingly I don’t think the very top of the draft is spectacular. Chet even being under consideration for #1 leads me to believe there’s no true top-top guys. I think Chet could be great due to unique skills as his size, but he could also easily flame out due to lack of strength and a build that looks like it will never carry much additional weight. Panchero gets a lot of press too but he’s flat out atrocious defensively. Jabari smith? Who knows. Lots of questions for top 3 guys imo.

And the mocks I’m seeing don’t have many, if any, actual pure point guards in even going in the lottery so I’m imagining the guys available this year are more akin to the Kira lewises of the world than the Darius garlands of the world.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No there wasn’t. Magic sent a tweet that the Lakers should go after Paul and all the hot take shows ran with it. There was never any insider reporting actual interest from either side.

CP3 is immovable at this point.
A) I said there was a lot of talk, and there was. I didn’t say there were talks with the teams.

B) I think everyone thought Paul was unmovable from the rockets and from the thunder too.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
A) I said there was a lot of talk, and there was. I didn’t say there were talks with the teams.

B) I think everyone thought Paul was unmovable from the rockets and from the thunder too.
Right. He’s not immovable if you’re taking a massive contract back which Sarver isn’t.

You’re right on the CP3 “talk” I just meant there was nothing concrete.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or scared. His history of choking away big playoff leads goes back many years. It's not necessarily an age thing.

I think Paul plays with such high intensity all the time that it has a 2 fold effect:

1. He is beat up by the time the season ends.

2. He doesn't have that extra gear that a lot of stars do.

He needs to be willing to accept game management, especially at his age. Combing back so early from his thumb injury was crazy. I also expect to hear that he needs surgery on his left hand... again. He was not willing to dribble that way, the fingers were taped together. Who knows how/when it happened but I do know that fatigue is a contributing factor to injuries.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now that things have settled, I think I would like to resign Ayton and move cp3. He did what he was intended to do, give us leadership and boost our potential like he did with OKC. Now the grapes have soured a bit, i think you get what you can out of CP3 rather than Ayton.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
bottom lines:

we got more out of Paul and Ayton than i would have predicted this year
and we'd get more out of Paul and Ayton next year than we would from trading either one

if Paul can still be one of the top assist, steals, clutch, and leadership guys in the league (2nd or 3rd instead of # frigging 1 in pretty much all of them like he was this year) and single-handedly get us past one round then i don't give a rat's arse if he breaks down in the middle of the playoffs

WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREPARED FOR THAT with a quality backup pg!

Booker now has a history of both injury and playoff collapse
should we get rid of him too???

perhaps, yes!

but we did have a unique chemistry that only failed us one week out of the whole season
and that was initiated by an opponent that out-strategized us in a 7 game series

so, more than any one player, the infamous collapse was a failure of
1. coach and management
2. role players who either never developed in the regular season or under-performed in the playoffs

the risks and limitations of Paul and Booker's star powers were predictable
no surprise
but they did their part and more the bulk of the season, including the playoffs

the bottom line solution is to patch the holes in a title-run strategy for one more year
-- and that includes hiring an assistant coach who can analyze and strategize because Monty can't

here's an idea. just make it official and make Chris Paul part-time player and assistant coach

my guess is that, though his body was breaking down, he did have a better idea of what we needed to do as a team than Monty, and that was an ingredient in the chemistry breakdown

but frankly, i don't know if i'm more disgusted this week
by the Suns quitting
or the fair-weather fans quitting!

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bottom line is this team won 71 games out of 95 that’s crazy good. Sucks the way we finished having the single worst game of the season on the one night we could not have our worst game, which is why you never even want a game 7 scenario. Anything can happen, and it did, everyone not just suns fans were shocked! Last season lack of depth at the bigs did us in, this season I think lack of PG depth killed us, well that and Monty didn’t want to use the bench guys…

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Almost all the radio guys I heard today essentially said Ayton is gone and the suns seem be to be the only people (fans, media, teams, players, etc.) that don’t recognize his value. Weird considering they would know the full Ayton.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Almost all the radio guys I heard today essentially said Ayton is gone and the suns seem be to be the only people (fans, media, teams, players, etc.) that don’t recognize his value. Weird considering they would know the full Ayton.

What did they say all the options are.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
what i heard an hour ago on radio seemed to be that just to maintain what we have would likely make us the highest paying luxury tax team in the league

just another blow. to consider that it's more likely we get worse than better

this year we paid no tax, and missed the opportunity to add the piece to get us over the hump

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giving Devin Booker the supermax seems almost a given.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
a supermax deal might be what the market will bear for Booker's services but it is not exactly what the Suns can bear if we want to put a championship contender on the court again.

we should have someone write articles about how much more our Western Conference competitors should be paying their stars

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson