The Ayton Plan

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this is true two things strike me here. First, this sounds out of character for Monty to accuse a player publicly of quitting the team. It doesn't jibe with Monty's statements after the game to keep things internal. That is the opposite of keeping things internal. Second, if Monty truly believes that Ayton quit on the team and was so angry about it that he had an outburst like that?

That relationship between them is toast. Ayton is 100% gone.
I take the latter point as the most important. Monty blowing up like that?? That dude?! You must be one hell of a quitter for that one to happen... IMO.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The deal would have to include more moving parts.
Unless it's Fox and Haliburton as well, no thanks. Sabonis making big money won't make anyone win a championship.

Ayton is 3x the player. Unless we get a kings ransom, (yeah) match everything.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't know...
Better rebounder, passer and has slightly better defensive rating than Ayton. Turns the ball over more, is less effective offensively gets fewer blocks.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Better rebounder, passer and has slightly better defensive rating than Ayton. Turns the ball over more, is less effective offensively gets fewer blocks.

Fewer blocks is a stretch as both are wretched for centers. 0.7 and 0.4 bpg.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I don't know...
Does he play hard? That's all I'd need to know with similar numbers like that. If he takes plays off....we don't need another slacker. Nor does the franchise I'm sure after this ordeal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless it's Fox and Haliburton as well, no thanks. Sabonis making big money won't make anyone win a championship.

Ayton is 3x the player. Unless we get a kings ransom, (yeah) match everything.

Trades have to be near equal in value but if the Suns could have traded Ayton for Haliburton and say Holmes, I'd listen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fewer blocks is a stretch as both are wretched for centers. 0.7 and 0.4 bpg.
It doesn't sound like much but I would take a guy who almost gets one over a guy who is .4 from never getting one.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like much but I would take a guy who almost gets one over a guy who is .4 from never getting one.

.3 blocks is not something I'm going to quibble over when they are both well below 1 bpg.

Fun with stats! Ayton averages 75% more blocks per game than Sabonis!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
.3 blocks is not something I'm going to quibble over when they are both well below 1 bpg.

Fun with stats! Ayton averages 75% more blocks per game than Sabonis!
I don't disagree but knowing a guy might at least get you one where the other guy is almost guaranteed to get you none makes a difference. Not a huge difference mind you for sure. Just putting everything on the table for both guys.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Sabonis would be a puke return for Ayton.
The main difference between them is that Sabonis is at clearly his ceiling and Ayton clearly isn't... but Ayton "at his ceiling" may never be a real thing, so you are taking your chances either way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main difference between them is that Sabonis is at clearly his ceiling and Ayton clearly isn't... but Ayton "at his ceiling" may never be a real thing, so you are taking your chances either way.
All things being equal give me the guy with potential to improve.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Paying guys like Sabonis is a clear way to create a mediocre team. He is high usage and a terrible defender, pretty much the opposite of Ayton.

Ayton has his flaws, but it's crazy to me that he's the guy you're giving up. He's 23! He's already been the anchor to a NBA Finals quality team. He's be incredibly unselfish and played within the system. His ceiling is incredibly high, as well as his floor.

To give up on Ayton at this point for anything less than a star would be a huge mistake. (Sabonis ain't a star)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, I want a younger point guard like a Tyrese Haliburton but more realistically a backup point guard that could start like Dennis Schroder. These are only examples.

I wonder how Ricky Rubio is doing these days. I don't see Paul leaving at the moment.

You can’t go into next year with Paul as your starter not after this.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t go into next year with Paul as your starter not after this.
Yes you can. You can't go into next year with Paul playing the minutes he does without a legit backup PG (potential starter) behind him. You can't go into next year with Payne and Shamet as the backup.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes you can. You can't go into next year with Paul playing the minutes he does without a legit backup PG (potential starter) behind him.

So you gonna run it back counting on Paul in the playoffs. That’s a suicide mission.

Does Paul strike you as a guy who’s going to be willing to sit when he’s healthy enough to play or let someone else take the wheel?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you gonna run it back counting on Paul in the playoffs. That’s a suicide mission.

Does Paul strike you as a guy who’s going to be willing to sit when he’s healthy enough to play or let someone else take the wheel?
You didn't read what I said. What do you think a legit backup PG would do? Paul is not the coach. Monty is. If Chris doesn't like it, tough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose