Suns Off-season Thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would guess it's Anthony Davis first or KAT.

My rationale being both played with Booker at UK and the claim is guy really wants to play with Booker.

I would not call KAT a superstar. Davis could be if he could stay healthy but he can't.

Is AD a star? He’s legit had one really good run in his career. His bubble championship he was great but other than that it’s a whole lot of underachieving.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is AD a star? He’s legit had one really good run in his career. His bubble championship he was great but other than that it’s a whole lot of underachieving.

if healthy absolutely points rebounds, blocks he does it all. The problem is he can't stay healthy, never played more than 75 games in a season and lately not even close to that.

That said I just did the math in my head and they actually did NOT play together at UK he was in the KAT group with Julius Randle and Cauley Stein etc not Davis so my bad there.

I wouldn't consider Randle to be a superstar either so not him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Suns are likely stuck with Shamet. He is a backup shooting guard at best.
Shamet is literally the best example of a "JAG" at his position in the NBA. I have no clue what the alleged coaching genius Monty sees in him, except maybe he regularly attends Monty's bible study group.

I expect we will probably see all of Shamet, Payne, and even Payton back next year because they are all Monty pets. Meanwhile, guys who were actually quality bench contributors (McGee, Biz, Holiday) will be on other teams benches next year, and likely all making solid contributions.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet is literally the best example of a "JAG" at his position in the NBA. I have no clue what the alleged coaching genius Monty sees in him, except maybe he regularly attends Monty's bible study group.

I expect we will probably see all of Shamet, Payne, and even Payton back next year because they are all Monty pets. Meanwhile, guys who were actually quality bench contributors (McGee, Biz, Holiday) will be on other teams benches next year, and likely all making solid contributions.

I think Elfrid Payton will be gone for sure. Bismack Biyombo might be back and I wouldn't be surprised to see Frank Kaminsky back.

The Suns are in a bind to move players unless they attach assets or include them in a larger trade.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
all this speculation based on a tweet by flex :rolleyes: he does this alllll the time. if something happens he says "I told you!" if nothing happens he says "It was close to happening"

A guy I'd like to target is Grant Williams. He's a guy buried on a deep team and doesn't get enough minutes

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would have been unhappy trading Ayton for Sabonis but perhaps in retrospect it might have been the best move.

The Suns would have wanted to dump salary as well perhaps Saric.
Agree. Might do it if we got Sabonis AND Haliburton

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please tell me the Suns total collapse in game 7 was not related to Ayton obsessing on a new contract.
It definitely was not. We witness how the other guys played too and Monty coached.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you don't think it could possibly be related?
I am not buying the narrative that Ayton walked into that game and quit on the team as much as I think he just like every player on that team got smoked. In the second half? That's a different story. The entire team quit on Monty. So, I guess context is important.

The game was over by the 2nd quarter. Book, CP3, Ayton, the Bench on Monty all share just as much blame.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not buying the narrative that Ayton walked into that game and quit on the team as much as I think he just like every player on that team got smoked. In the second half? That's a different story. The entire team quit on Monty. So, I guess context is important.

The game was over by the 2nd quarter. Book, CP3, Ayton, the Bench on Monty all share just as much blame.

We don't know when things fell apart. It could have been sometime around game 6.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't know when things fell apart. It could have been sometime around game 6.
That's pure speculation. He seemed fine talking about Ayton during the off days and pregame. I think the players were not the only one's completely frazzled after the first half. Monty was too.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until we know all the facts that's what we are doing... speculating.
Which is why I will stick with the facts we do know. We witnessed how the entire team played and how Monty coached.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honesty could have been before as imo we haven’t seen the same suns team in the playoffs as we did all season long. Something was just off and Paul having to have a huge games just to get past the Pels. The team all shot like garbage basically all playoffs…weird to say the least.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm actually really depressed if Ayton is this stupid.

I don't think we can get good value back for him unless we get a high pick and somehow got lucky, but I don't trust James Jones in the draft at all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honesty could have been before as imo we haven’t seen the same suns team in the playoffs as we did all season long. Something was just off and Paul having to have a huge games just to get past the Pels. The team all shot like garbage basically all playoffs…weird to say the least.
You know the worst part? Chris Paul was shooting 47% from three against the Mavs but the Mavs saw something in Chris. His hesitation. Chris passed up so many shots or just hesitated instead of shooting. We watched Grant Williams look like he was going to have an off night with the Celtics but the Bucks kept daring him to shoot the three. He did. They won. The Mavs did the same thing to Paul and he turned Ayton passive. Despite a great % he only took 11 threes over the course of the entire series.

It makes me sick the more I think about it. My faith in Paul has almost evaporated without a legit back PG next season. If they roll into next season relying on Paul like they did these past two? I will expect similar results.

Last edited:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
It’s definitely strange because we know this team is good and they are capable of beating anyone. We hear with all the talk about chemistry. Over the last few weeks we saw uncharacteristic bad games from almost everyone.

That certainly seems why people are speculating something else has creeped in there and broken things up.

I refuse to question the pride of the team because I know that it exists but something continues to feel off.

My speculation is that in the collective frustration of poorly performing some of the true feelings came out whether it was towards Ayton or others. For a team that focused on togetherness so much they sure don’t seem like they were able to recover from whatever happened.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually really depressed if Ayton is this stupid.

I don't think we can get good value back for him unless we get a high pick and somehow got lucky, but I don't trust James Jones in the draft at all.

After the 2020 draft I'm not high on James Jones drafting.