The Ayton Plan

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But that’s the thing right. It’s always something.

I’ve heard over and over about how Ayton was bad in this series. About how he got “Gobert’ed” but the reality was he was our best defender and it was our perimeter defense that fell about. Wasn’t Bridges runner up for DPOY? I thought Book was the #2 rated defensive SG in the NBA.

Ayton is our 3rd option right. Not one person here would say he’s more important than Booker or Paul we can all agree on that.

Ayton on offense had games of
25/8
16/11
14/11
20/9
21/11

If this is my #3 guy and he’s giving me this on offense and being my best defender I’m pretty happy. See I hear a lot about how Bridges offense suffered because he was working so hard on defense, but why isn’t that extended to Ayton, but Ayton didn’t struggle like Bridges.

I got into a fun convo with main about how Paul was “sacrificing for the team” because all his energy was going towards defense, but Ayton doesn’t get that courtesy.

Your asking your 7 footer to chase guys around the perimeter every time and he did play great defense all while being productive on offense and still really efficient and he was, but it’s still he’s not working hard enough. It’s always something. It’s never enough but the reality is your going to have a real hard time finding a guy that gives you what he gives you.

His two worst games. He was in foul trouble early
Game 2
9/3 18 minutes( this was a blowout we didn’t need him)

Game 7
5/4 17 minutes ( we all know what happened in game 7 with this entire team)
So your saying he was our best defender in two series that we played terrible defense lol. A 6 & 7 game series because we gave up too many points. I think the thing that really gets under my skin is he stands around so much and gets boxed out and out rebound by smaller guys. **** half the time he’s standing under the basket he doesn’t even have his hands up to get a damn rebound or he gets one then just let’s a small guy take it right out of his butterfingers! He’s a maddening type player that could be great but just doesn’t have the IT factor or internal desire to be great, he’s just okay with being okay…

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I wasn’t full of **** when I said Pop was interested

TJ

Reaction score
Interesting to hear talking heads on radio today. They kinda don’t think Ayton is gone but rather suns will let another team set his market and match. They also said they think the play now is to talk to Booker about moving Paul.
I’ll say it again: I’d be stunned if he’s back. I dont think either party is going to put in a good faith effort to keep Ayton in Phoenix

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Literally nothing has actually happened to corroborate Pop wants him.

Was talking to someone last night who knows someone in the Spurs organization and they’d said the Spurs were going to make a run if he indeed hits the market. Obviously, that doesn’t mean he’ll land in San Antonio, but there is interest.

TJ

Reaction score
I agree. It's kind of like Joe Johnson signing with Atlanta. Suns lucked out that Diaw turned out to be a good player.
I guess, but it didn’t materialize into championships, which was the expectation for the SSOL teams. I think we get to at least a Finals with Joe

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll say it again: I’ll be stunned if he’s back. I dont think either party is going to put in a good faith effort to keep Ayton in Phoenix
Unless we can effect a reasonable sign and trade, it would be foolish of us to not match his offer. So, I'll be stunned if he plays out his last year but I won't be surprised by an S&T or a match.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess, but it didn’t materialize into championships, which was the expectation for the SSOL teams. I think we get to at least a Finals with Joe
We would have won multiple titles with Joe.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I meant lucked out in the sense that it could've been worse.

TJ

Reaction score
I meant lucked out in the sense that it could've been worse.
Much like this year, every season in the SSOL era the expectation was championships and anything less was a failure. Personnel moves like letting JJ leave and trading Matrix for Shaq destroyed that hope. I dont feel lucky for having Diaw, I feel pissed that Sarver crapped the bed, went cheap, and cost us titles.

SSOL is one of the biggest “what ifs” in basketball history, especially 2007

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless we can effect a reasonable sign and trade, it would be foolish of us to not match his offer. So, I'll be stunned if he plays out his last year but I won't be surprised by an S&T or a match.

Exactly. The Suns should not do a sign and trade without at least one key player they want, preferably a point guard.

Big men are easier to replace than point guards.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting to hear talking heads on radio today. They kinda don’t think Ayton is gone but rather suns will let another team set his market and match. They also said they think the play now is to talk to Booker about moving Paul.

Move Paul where? I don't think even the Knicks are dumb enough to trade for him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I wasn’t full of **** when I said Pop was interested

There’s logic and feelings. You can present logic and facts all day but if someone feels a certain type of way there is nothing you can do to change there mind.

He can’t possibly be a pop guy!

Ayton sucks at defense! Not really here are some facts and numbers. Nope still sucks!

Ayton goes up soft and leaves points on the floor! Not really here are some facts and numbers. Nope still sucks

Now que the omg nobody says he sucks guys who say he sucks all the time.

People feel a certain way about Ayton and they always will. Doesn’t matter they always will. Feelings will always overrule logic. It’s one of the reasons the right has a strangle hold on the country

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly. The Suns should not do a sign and trade without at least one key player they want, preferably a point guard.

Big men are easier to replace than point guards.

Oh I disagree guards are way easier to find than big men.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I disagree guards are way easier to find than big men.

Serviceable big men are readily available. Good point guards are harder to find.

Ask the Knicks.

Remember Isaiah Canaan?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Much like this year, every season in the SSOL era the expectation was championships and anything less was a failure. Personnel moves like letting JJ leave and trading Matrix for Shaq destroyed that hope. I dont feel lucky for having Diaw, I feel pissed that Sarver crapped the bed, went cheap, and cost us titles.

SSOL is one of the biggest “what ifs” in basketball history, especially 2007
umm, ok.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Serviceable big men are readily available. Good point guards are harder to find.

Ask the Knicks.

Remember Isaiah Canaan?

Well “serviceable” anything isn’t hard it’s finding someone who is actually good.

People have kind of gotten spoiled with Ayton. They think it’s normal for a 7 footer to defend on the perimeter and track players cross court. It’s pretty much Bam and Ayton that can do it at a high level and that’s it.

If I’m trading Ayton it’s for another big. Might not have the skill set he has defensively but he’s got to be better offensively

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well “serviceable” anything isn’t hard it’s finding someone who is actually good.

People have kind of gotten spoiled with Ayton. They think it’s normal for a 7 footer to defend on the perimeter and track players cross court. It’s pretty much Bam and Ayton that can do it at a high level and that’s it.

If I’m trading Ayton it’s for another big. Might not have the skill set he has defensively but he’s got to be better offensively

I already fixed you up with Nurkic, FA. The Suns can probably trade for Rachaun Holmes.

Suns don't have anyone to run the team with Paul out. They might want to go after Dennis Schroder.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I already fixed you up with Nurkic, FA. The Suns can probably trade for Rachaun Holmes.

Suns don't have anyone to run the team with Paul out. They might want to go after Dennis Schroder.

Nurkic is lumbering and slow and in like 10 years he’s only played 70+ games twice he’s the walking wounded. That would be a disaster.

This team played really well when Paul was out. So regular season wins I’m not worried about it’s finding another “star” that can contribute in the playoffs

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nurkic is lumbering and slow and in like 10 years he’s only played 70+ games twice he’s the walking wounded. That would be a disaster.

This team played really well when Paul was out. So regular season wins I’m not worried about it’s finding another “star” that can contribute in the playoffs

The Suns need to groom a replacement for Chris Paul and capable of being a starter. Cam Payne is not it.

I threw Nurkic' name in there because I knew how you felt about him. :wink2:

He is not a bad starting center when healthy.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns need to groom a replacement for Chris Paul and capable of being a starter. Cam Payne is not it.

I threw Nurkic' name in there because I knew how you felt about him. :wink2:

He is not a bad starting center when healthy.

Oh you sneaky Mainstreet.

We don’t need to groom a replacement for Paul we need one now. I think it’s pretty clear he’s done.

Phoenix gets:
Dame

Portland gets:
Paul
Crowder
Payne
3 1st, 2 pick swaps

Paul is off the books soon and they get picks to reload

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
If I could do a (reasonable) one-for-one trade with anybody, I would see if NO might be interested in an Ingram for Ayton swap. The Pels already have a plethora of young shooters, so Ingram could be considered replaceable... and more so if they expect Zion to finally be healthy next year. The defensive presence, mobility, and offensive versatility of Ayton would be an upgrade for them over Valancunias.

I'm not saying that the Pelicans would definitely do it, but it might be about the best reasonably fair exchange the Suns could find that would actually upgrade their current team instead of just settling for a hopefully decent return.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We don’t need to groom a replacement for Paul we need one now. I think it’s pretty clear he’s done.

Phoenix gets:
Dame

Portland gets:
Paul
Crowder
Payne
3 1st, 2 pick swaps

Aside from the picks, that's a salary dump for Portland. They would want Ayton included at minimum.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Phoenix gets:
Dame

Portland gets:
Paul
Crowder
Payne
3 1st, 2 pick swaps

I would never do that trade and include 3 first round picks too.

I'm not sure what Portland was thinking when they traded McCollum and Nance Jr. for pocket change.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose