The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton can not be combined with another player on the Suns for a sign and trade.
Yeah I always forget that. Any other unusual restrictions on a sign and trade especially if Stix is included that you're aware of?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I always forget that. Any other unusual restrictions on a sign and trade especially if Stix is included that you're aware of?

I don't think we can reacquire Stix since we traded him away. There's a league rule where a team can't reacquire a player for 1 year after trading them because a few years back a bunch of vets would be traded, bought out, and the return to their original team. The language of it would prohibit us from going after Stix though.

Other than that, all good.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think we can reacquire Stix since we traded him away. There's a league rule where a team can't reacquire a player for 1 year after trading them because a few years back a bunch of vets would be traded, bought out, and the return to their original team. The language of it would prohibit us from going after Stix though.

Other than that, all good.
Yeah I knew there was a time restriction, just didn't know if it was around December or a full year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd jump on a sign and trade for DeJounte Murray from SA but I don't see why they'd let him go.

If we brought in Murray then we can find a taker for Paul with the Knicks for Randle or something.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop is very selective in the type of player he brings in. If he brings Ayton in, then yes, I'd agree he'd believe he could make him better. But from what little I know about the two, I just don't see him bringing DA in.

It seems to me that Ayton wants to be treated like and paid like a franchise player but I'm not sure he'll ever be willing to do put in all the work it would take to get there. He's good, sometimes very good and he'll get a little better without much effort but I think it stops there. And I think it's the kind of thing Pop would recognize in advance. JMO.
Yeah but Pop wouldn't just Ayton on his role with the Suns. He simply wouldn't. He is not that type of coach. It's moot anyway. I think the Suns see the potential in that matchup as well and wouldn't want it to comeback and haunt them. No way it happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's feels weird talking about trading for Haliburton when the Suns could have drafted him.

The Suns could sign Stix as a free agent unless prohibited. I haven't seen anything in writing that prohibits it but if the Suns wanted him they would have probably kept him.

There is nothing that says the Suns can't do separate trades aside from Ayton. Of course the salaries have to match.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd jump on a sign and trade for DeJounte Murray from SA but I don't see why they'd let him go.

If we brought in Murray then we can find a taker for Paul with the Knicks for Randle or something.

They won’t let him go, he’s really really good.

Honestly they might not even trade him for Booker. He almost averaged a triple double this year

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Thunder would part with Shai Gilgeous-Alexander I would be interested in that trade for Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing some of these posts y’all gonna be real disappointed with what we get for Ayton lol.

I think the Orlando scenario I suggested the other day would be a best case scenario for us. That was Ayton for Wendell Carter Jr, Cole Anthony, and either a pick or Franz Wagner.

Not ideal, of course, but decent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing some of these posts y’all gonna be real disappointed with what we get for Ayton lol.
I'm disappointed simply realizing that we're probably going to have to trade him. And yeah, I don't see us getting very close to real value. We might be best off going after unprotected draft picks from a team that doesn't expect to be in the lottery very soon.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Pop would think he could make Ayton better.
And when he couldn’t he would kill him. Pop has jettisoned players who just couldn’t or wouldn’t buy in. This team has been stressing playing with force to Ayton for four seasons without much more than sporadic success. Pop wouldn’t stand for that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pop is very selective in the type of player he brings in. If he brings Ayton in, then yes, I'd agree he'd believe he could make him better. But from what little I know about the two, I just don't see him bringing DA in.

It seems to me that Ayton wants to be treated like and paid like a franchise player but I'm not sure he'll ever be willing to do put in all the work it would take to get there. He's good, sometimes very good and he'll get a little better without much effort but I think it stops there. And I think it's the kind of thing Pop would recognize in advance. JMO.
Exactly. Pop wants guys who ooze winning. That’s not Ayton’s DNA. “How do you stay motivated once you get your second contract?”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Of course we have no idea what other teams would offer for Ayton in trade.

However, if I were going to start looking at sign and trade ideas, I would concentrate on teams that could offer a future starting caliber point guard in return such as Tyrese Haliburton or Davion Mitchell. I like Shai as well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the Orlando scenario I suggested the other day would be a best case scenario for us. That was Ayton for Wendell Carter Jr, Cole Anthony, and either a pick or Franz Wagner.

Not ideal, of course, but decent.
They’re not trading Franz. I could see Carter/Anthony as a realistic scenario.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Screw that poo-poo platter. If we’re dealing with the Knicks I want u protected picks because they’ll be a disaster and that’s how we rebuild.

The above is basically Turkolgu, Warrick and Childress all over again.

If Indy really wants him… this’ll get a laugh… how about they send us back Halliburton and Stix (is that even possible?) and picks?
Agree. Lots of unprotected Knicks picks. Or Halliburton and stix and picks. Good with either one.

How crazy that this is the legit discussion the day after the team that won the most games in franchise history and just last year was in the finals?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm amazed what the Spurs have done with Jakob Poeltl. I didn't even think he would become an NBA player.
Eh he was a lottery pick. Pops can work magic, but again I ask - how many goofy kids can you recall on a pop spurs squad? None. For a reason. Not pop guys. Ayton isn’t a pop guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose