This Team is About To Be Broken Up!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah at one time Chris was very much known for his defense, Lillard has never been known for that side of the ball. But at this stage of his game, CP3 is more liability than asset on defense except that (when healthy) he's beeen able to turn back the clock for some killer 4th quarter stretches.

Yeah CP3 was a lightning quick pick-pocket when he was young.

Reaction score
The suns need size. Both years in the playoffs, they have been out rebounded and hasn't even been close. They give up way too many second opportunities. Not just that, but monty needs to teach his guys to box out. They leave it all to ayton. Which usually works OK, till you meet other teams who know to box out or have a bigger guy
Agree, but we need guys with size who can defend. It's sad when your best defender at center is on the bench.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam is going to get 18-20 million. If you want McGee back (which I think he was huge during the season) you have to use the mid-level. Ayton is going to get the max. Something has to give. Sarver isn't going into the season with the highest luxury tax bill in the NBA. It's never going to happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way I give McGee the MLE which is about $10 million unless it goes higher.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The taxpayer MLE is like $6.5 million, which is what we'd have available.

Yes, if the Suns become a taxpayer which seems likely. The standard MLE was around $10 million last season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam is going to get 18-20 million. If you want McGee back (which I think he was huge during the season) you have to use the mid-level. Ayton is going to get the max. Something has to give. Sarver isn't going into the season with the highest luxury tax bill in the NBA. It's never going to happen.
I don’t think Cam gets that anymore.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Only time will tell….this is a major blow to our team’s psyche but winning a championship starts with doing little things. I felt like we never actually played great even when we won during the season. It’s hard to describe but I don’t think our record encapsulated how good we were because of all the clutch time stats.

We’re front runners. 51-0 when leading after 3. So we were subsequently 20-24 I believe when that didn’t happen. I still believe in this team but only they can make the changes. It’s on Book, Monty, CP3 to figure it out.

I’m going ride with this team until I’m in my grave….not gonna let this loss change that but we better make changes to our identity and how we construct this roster.
To be fair we also had one of the better records in the league when tied or behind going into the 4th. It is probably true that the team relied a little too much on the clutch this year, but it's not fair to say they were just front runners either.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Listened to James Jones on the radio. Sounded more likely to roll the dice with current team than blow it up. Says he will look at any moves that will make the team better. Says Cam J, and Bridges have to improve. Also, need Cam P and Shamet to get better. Overall he is looking for more playmaking and scoring, and believes that will open up more threes. We were in bottom five in threes taken.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Listened to James Jones on the radio. Sounded more likely to roll the dice with current team than blow it up. Says he will look at any moves that will make the team better. Says Cam J, and Bridges have to improve. Also, need Cam P and Shamet to get better. Overall he is looking for more playmaking and scoring, and believes that will open up more threes. We were in bottom five in threes taken.

Ya, Jones is definitely not blowing up the team based upon remarks yesterday. Sounds like he is bringing the gang back but also looking for some tweeks to improve, and looking for the younger guys to improve and play better next year. This article goes through his main comments, not just about Ayton.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I don't mind bringing back most of the same core, but with upgrades over Payne and Shamet, and replacing Crowder as the starter at PF.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't mind bringing back most of the same core, but with upgrades over Payne and Shamet, and replacing Crowder as the starter at PF.
exactly

though i believe we should still be in win now mode for one more season, so if there is an opportunity to add a star for future picks and not Bridges or Cam J, i'd do it. and sign and trade Ayton only if we can get similar value in return

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is you aren’t going to get upgrades over those guys without getting rid of pieces of the core.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Right

And I fail to believe talent was the reason we lost. We lost because something is going on with chemistry
It's some of both. The Suns were a spotty three-point shooting team all season long, and their offense, for all of its efficiency when it was working well, got bogged down and predictable surprisingly often.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's some of both. The Suns were a spotty three-point shooting team all season long, and their offense, for all of its efficiency when it was working well, got bogged down and predictable surprisingly often.
Agreed, we need to shoot the 3 better! When we lost games it was typically to teams that shot the 3 well. We need an upgrade over Payne at PG. Firmly believe if we had quality back up PG we are still playing!

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah we need to shoot the 3 better but we need an inside presence PERIOD.

The reason teams can defend us is because the know we are only shooting midrange or 3s. Cam Payne is our only real threat at the rim or penetration and that's very sad.

If Ayton stays he needs more touches, let him be who he can be, treat him like a first round pick and for the love of all that is holy GET A REAL BIGMAN COACH!
The reason DA looks lost sometimes is because if he shoots or drives and misses he's gonna hear about it more than any other player on the team. I'm positive Monte has him looking to pass out for a 3 before he does anything else, so when he gets the ball he's like ok passing mode instead of RIP THE EFING RIM OFF THE BACKBOARD AND WRAP IT AROUND LUKAS HEAD MODE! If DA had the go ahead his numbers would be closer or better than we expected.

We need to FIX this, add a serviceable PF so Crowder doesn't have to kill himself every night and a backup or frontup for CP3.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The reason teams can defend us is because the know we are only shooting midrange or 3s. Cam Payne is our only real threat at the rim or penetration and that's very sad.

If Ayton stays he needs more touches, let him be who he can be, treat him like a first round pick and for the love of all that is holy GET A REAL BIGMAN COACH!
The reason DA looks lost sometimes is because if he shoots or drives and misses he's gonna hear about it more than any other player on the team. I'm positive Monte has him looking to pass out for a 3 before he does anything else, so when he gets the ball he's like ok passing mode instead of RIP THE EFING RIM OFF THE BACKBOARD AND WRAP IT AROUND LUKAS HEAD MODE! If DA had the go ahead his numbers would be closer or better than we expected.

We need to FIX this, add a serviceable PF so Crowder doesn't have to kill himself every night and a backup or frontup for CP3.

That’s great and watch him foul out in the first quarter of every game. Fans want a physical monster but don’t understand the game isn’t called like that anymore.

He literally dunked right on Luka and then got called for T on the play.

And what pisses me off even more Monty just sits there. He should of raised hell in the game and at the press conference, but he never stands up for his guys and is so passive at times it’s embarrassing

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Suns need more play makers and scorers. Also please order Ayton some stickum.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The problem is you aren’t going to get upgrades over those guys without getting rid of pieces of the core.
Probably true about PF... but upgrading over Payne and/or Shamet shouldn't be that difficult. The bar is pretty low there given how each of them performed last season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably true about PF... but upgrading over Payne and/or Shamet shouldn't be that difficult. The bar is pretty low there given how each of them performed last season.

The problem is the Suns have to pay Payne $6 million and Shamet $9.5 million next season. This limits what the team can do.

AZ due I love BBQ

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sigh a warning has been awarded to you for trolling this board.
Zero titles. Ever.
It's not like a dynasty is being broken up.
They very easily could be a five seed next year

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose