Worst Award Ever

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fwiw, the only time I've ever been banned here was for remarking that "nice guys finish last" in reference to Rod Graves. Skkorp was particularly sensitive to criticism of him.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Head Coach called the shots for the Draft during the Rod Graves era as General Manager. Rod Graves never got into the college scouting scene.
He was actually promoted in 1998 to head of Cardinal scouting. He even attended Combines.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When the query is designed to avoid, obfuscate or change a subject it can be properly termed 'non-sequitur'.

In light of his career, Terrell Suggs should have been the choice but at the time some observers thought him slow and problematic at the next level given that we were running a 4-3. Calvin Pace had a good career after he left and was used properly in a 3-4. Dan Williams was rounding out well until he broke his arm, and did have a few additional productive years as a stump in the middle. Leonard Davis did fine as a guard in Dallas (3 Pro Bowls, One All Pro) over a 12-year career. Blame Denny Green for his move to left tackle. Thomas Jones had five 1000+ seasons after leaving AZ and a 12-year career. Kyle Vanden Bosch was selected to three Pro Bowls over his 13-year career. Alan Branch was a solid DE/DT, particularly in New England, over an 11-year career.
You just argued why the Suggs/Pace/Skillet Hands trade wasn't a bad trade. Even at the time, without the benefit of hindsight, everyone knew we got fleeced. We PAID THEM for that move down, on top of it. We gave up a 4th, I believe, and moved back in the second.

You just crushed your credibility right there. You lose. I mean, go hit the reset button because you totally, unquestioningly, just lost any argument you're trying to make. Try again lol

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’d like a source that supports your definition of non-sequitur. Of course it’s Latin and simply translates as “It does not follow.” How a clarifying request via question could fit what you allege might lead one to say you seem to be trying to obfuscate the issue. Your Suggs point sort of helps my position. Suggs did have a bad combine. So Graves was left with making an independent talent evaluation; a scouting call, choose Suggs play or his workout. Consider what Rex Ryan said, “Ozzie (Newsome) occasionally would have me look at some of the top players before the draft, and he had me look at Suggs,” said Ryan, now an NFL analyst with ESPN. “I looked at him and said, ‘You have to be kidding me. There’s no way in hell he’s going to be there when we pick.’ He said, ‘You know, Rex, he ran a bad 40.’ I said, ‘Ozzie, all people have to do is watch the tape.” That’s what a good ”scout” does. As you apparently missed the fact I said some of the people I listed did perform better elsewhere. Davis played left tackle for the final 20 games of his Texas career. Davis did not distinguish himself at guard as a Card. So when Shelton’s play declined and Clement left, Davis was the logical choice to try at tackle. The fact the Cards chose not to franchise Davis fairly well says it all. So much of drafting is about fit. Jones running style wasn’t a fit. I can‘t prove Branch dogged it, but he played in 47 games and only made 68 tackles. Vanden Bosch was ordinary at best with the Cards. Again he fit other defensive schemes better. Also he was on the list as one of the injured picks. He missed the entire 2003 season, for example.
non sequitur ( "it does not follow") is a conversational literary device. It is something said because of the apparent lack of meaning relative to what preceded seems absurd to the point of being confusing. This use of the term is distinct from the non sequitur in logic, where it is a fallacy.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let's be honest, the bar is set pretty low around here. Keim is the best GM we've ever had, followed by Graves at #2.
The truth. That's because prior to Keim, we never really had a GM. BB was the GM. He made ALL the player personnel decisions. All of them.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was actually promoted in 1998 to head of Cardinal scouting. He even attended Combines.
I ddn't know that. When I moved here in 2004 Denny Green was the Head Coach, Graves was GM. Denny seemed to be calling the shots on the draft while he was the HC.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ferguson?
For his sake, I hope BB was making the ultimate player decisions during that stretch from 1999-2002. Cardinals were 16-43 when he was GM. Even his somewhat good picks (Boston, Thomas Jones, Leonard Davis, Vanden Bosch), either crapped the bed after a great start (Boston), or made their name elsewhere. His BEST pick, and it was a great one, was Adrian Wilson in the 3rd round of the 2001 draft. And we can’t forget some of his garbage picks either: Rutledge LB 2nd round 1999, Ratnoch Thompson WR 2nd round 2000, Michael Stone CB 2nd round 2001, Bill Gramatica K 4th round 2001, Wendel Bryant 1st round DT 2002, Levar Fisher LB 2nd round 2002. Not sure, but maybe that 2002 draft was the Snail’s first draft. Not certain of that.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I ddn't know that. When I moved here in 2004 Denny Green was the Head Coach, Graves was GM. Denny seemed to be calling the shots on the draft while he was the HC.
Green did call his shots

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I must admit I like Quebec City. Great Winter Carnival! Saw Celine Dion out at the Pepsi Center (Forum). Really good restaurants.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I must admit I like Quebec City. Great Winter Carnival! Saw Celine Dion out at the Pepsi Center (Forum). Really good restaurants.

Quebec City is designated a world heritage site and 'old' Quebec where I live is protected. The Pepsi Centre was replaced by the new 18,000 seat Videotron arena. My family arrived in 1649. Céline is my third favourite Quebec chanteuse. (Ginette Reno, Lara Fabian). As to gastronomy, yes, we are much more than Poutine, which I can do without. :)

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Graves is a very decent man.
Yes he is, Brighteyes and I knew him pretty well he was an very nice guy and we had a number of long conversations with him. He was also very supportive of ASFN and our having access.

BUT

We were spectators tp one horrendous interaction [horrendous from a senior executive viewpoint], more like to while out on watching mid week practices with him. I can't [or won't go into details to respect confidentiality]

Senior executives in any business do not make mistakes like this one or they are not for long. Fortunately for him he dodged the bullet and nobody heard except us, if Kent Summers had heard AZ Central would have had a field day.

Love the guy and would go out for dinner with him anytime, but as a GM no way

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Will always be curious about how the Cardinals bungled the Boldin situation on Rod's watch.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Will always be curious about how the Cardinals bungled the Boldin situation on Rod's watch.
I don't really think they bungled it. Fitz was playing on a Top 3 pick contract under the old-old CBA. Boldin felt like he deserved to be paid at an equivalent level for roughly equivalent production. That's not possible.

It doesn't make any sense to pay two WRs top 5 money when they'll only combine for 15-20 targets per game. It became an impossible situation.

The Cards only got a 3rd round pick for him heading into his 30 year-old season.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He went to a good team and won a Super Bowl there. I think the Cards tried to do right by him even if they couldn't afford him here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave