The Ayton Plan

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It’s crazy to me how similar Ayton and kyler are. Both tantalizing talents at positions of rarity that the valley teams really haven’t had (young QB and young center). Both questionable heads. Both demanding big dollars before they’ve proven worthy. Two owners not known for big stuffy pockets.

Euphoria when drafted
Shown glimpses of greatness
Disappointments
Remaining upside
Demanding huge dollars
I'd argue Kyler has shown more, but more has been asked of him.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have stopped posting in this thread mainly because the big man has proven so much to me over the past two playoff seasons. He's still a lazy ass from time to time but so was Shaq, so was Dwight, and so are most of the big men in the league the last 20 plus years or so.

DA has proven himself to me now and will be getting a good amount of money this offseason. James Jones played this perfectly IMO.
Not feeling too good about my last post in this thread from 4/29/22. Not good at all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd argue Kyler has shown more, but more has been asked of him.
Kyler has definitely shown more in the overall body of work.

But for BOTH teams to have the number 1 picks in the same draft… finally get the elusive piece that has bedeviled each franchise (QB/C) with both guys with SKY HIGH potential… and feel like you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t resign both.. it just sucks that neither of the number one picks with sky high potential ended up being a sure-fire superstar.

Ayton is just the more painful of the two because there was one of those guys in his draft and we didn’t take him.

Kyler was the right pick though. There’s no one else in that draft with his upside that we shoulda gone with that first pick.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kyler has definitely shown more in the overall body of work.

But for BOTH teams to have the number 1 picks in the same draft… finally get the elusive piece that has bedeviled each franchise (QB/C) with both guys with SKY HIGH potential… and feel like you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t resign both.. it just sucks that neither of the number one picks with sky high potential ended up being a sure-fire superstar.

Ayton is just the more painful of the two because there was one of those guys in his draft and we didn’t take him.

Kyler was the right pick though. There’s no one else in that draft with his upside that we shoulda gone with that first pick.
Yeah Doncic should have been the pick. I think the dude is El douchó supremo though. I really dislike that punk.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I will say, at least Doncic shows up to play. Not always a given, even with "superstars."

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely seems pretty nuanced with Ayton. He has some definite faults... passiveness, immaturity, lack of basketball instincts and focus. And there may even be off court issues that we don't really know about.

But on the other hand, I don't always get the sense that the Suns' (read Monty's) system puts him in the best position to succeed either. And by now, we all know that when something doesn't fit Monty’s way of doing things... Monty ain't changing his way of doing things.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I Predicted this a while ago. At some point, a young talent like DA is gonna get sick of sacrificing his game (and subsequently millions) for the betterment of the team. The lack of a max contract last offseason was the ultimate slap in the face. Fortunately, he was mature enough to lament on it publicly for one day and move on.

However, Ayton could only be a good soldier for so long. It’s foolish for Monty to believe that Ayton would continue to sacrifice.

Obviously, laying into the HC in the middle of a Game 7 is a terrible look, but Ayton’s not wrong by any stretch of the imagination. Ayton’s a good dude, but I’m sure he’s going to be looking out for what’s best for Deandre Ayton and not the Phoenix Suns going forward. For a multitude of reasons, this is a good mindset for DA.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

Reactions: TJ

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is zero doubt he gets his money. Been saying that since day one. Even with this playoff result he will get it. There are going to be plenty of teams that feel like he was hampered here by Phoenix not being a #1 option. True or not that's what plenty of teams will think.

Right now I am leaning that Ayton gets a 5 year max contract and is involved in a sign and trade.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Book makes all NBA he’s going to be eligible for the super max 4 years 211 million

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty Williams and Deandre Ayton reportedly haven't talked since game 7.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Would bet a lot of $$$ on the Spurs making a run at DA

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would bet a lot of $$$ on the Spurs making a run at DA
Seems like he would be a great fit with Pop but I can't see the Suns going there. Not after the history with the Spurs. Suns wouldn't let him walk to any offer sheet the Spurs could offer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read an article that Portland, Charlotte, New York and Detroit are the most likely to make a run at Ayton.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are but I just don't think he's Pop's kind of player.
I don't know. I think Pop would like the opportunity to coach another big in the vein of Duncan or Robinson. I think that is exactly the type of player Pop wants. Not that Ayton compares. However, I could see Pop taking on the challenge of improving his game.

I just don't think the Suns want to take part in any chance giving Pop a player that could haunt them for years to come.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are but I just don't think he's Pop's kind of player.
I think he’s exactly pops player. Pop loved Lamarcus Aldridge who I think is a lot like Ayton super talented but he’s ok putting team first with no ego

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave