How are you guys going to react if they select Treylon Burks

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I read rumors from teams that met with him and they were kind of shocked that he looked tubby and out of shape.

Yeah probably that too but as soon as I read the first description of what happened I thought I bet he has asthma.

I had it as a kid I recognize the signs. Lots of very good pro athletes have it, not saying he can't be good because of it but when I saw that he was gasping for breath after 20 minutes of workouts my first thought was asthma

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think he can play my argument against him was he seems very raw, not Michael Floyd issues off the field but on the field I get the impression he's not a guy who would pick up our system as quickly as others. We have so many options in our offense where you get the LOS and Kyler has RPO and then the WR's have to read the defense and run the route accordingly. I just didn't see any indication Burks was a guy who would be good right away for that reason. Brown is such a better idea in that regard because he has the connection to Kyler and has been in a similar offense in college.

I think Burks will be good but it will probably take him longer.

I'd be surprised if this were actually true. The Air Raid is designed to be an extremely simple offense because you get a very limited time to work with college athletes in the classroom or on the field. If we're still running a close variation of OU's offense, it should probably still be very simple and easy for guys to get.

You heard this last year from Whipple who said that he wants the passing game and the offense to dictate to the defense. This play is going to attack his portion of the field, and you should have a matchup win in spot A or B. If not, run or dump it off.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if this were actually true. The Air Raid is designed to be an extremely simple offense because you get a very limited time to work with college athletes in the classroom or on the field. If we're still running a close variation of OU's offense, it should probably still be very simple and easy for guys to get.

You heard this last year from Whipple who said that he wants the passing game and the offense to dictate to the defense. This play is going to attack his portion of the field, and you should have a matchup win in spot A or B. If not, run or dump it off.

Look at when D Hop first got here or last year with Green or others. It's quite common to see Kyler after a play talking to the WR telling him what he wanted him to do on the route. D Hop was so good it really didn't matter but remember his first year here he openly said yes I'm good with Kyler getting on me I'm still learning the offense.

I would also argue we don't run the air raid. If we did we'd do way more presnap motion or jet sweep stuff. That's one of the things everyone talked about when we hired Kliff, even before we'd drafted Murray and Rosen was the guy, Kliff is going to make it easier for the QB because of all that presnap movement or jet sweep stuff it'll make it easer for the QB to read the defense, and get mismatches.

I think Kliff fairly quickly figured out that doesn't work nearly as well in the NFL and he started doing other stuff to where we're all now complaining guys don't move around enough.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Knew it. Took 2 articles to find it but Burks has a history of asthma. They said he actually tapped out twice in the practice.
Here is something which crossed my mind, and have no idea if this might be an issue with him having asthma, but are certain medications to curve asthma go against the substance list for PEDs? I had asthma when young, but at the time living in rural Texas, there were really no known alternatives which were easily available. I thankfully grew out of it by my late twenties and actually think it helped me as a distance runner because it forced me to tackle one hell of a challenge while making my lungs used to being strained as a normal condition. I do know a lot of those medications require a prescription, but do those substances tip the fine line for what the NFL allows. I might be totally wrong, but that list by the NFL does outlaw it seems a bunch of substances

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one of the things everyone talked about when we hired Kliff, even before we'd drafted Murray and Rosen was the guy, Kliff is going to make it easier for the QB because of all that presnap movement or jet sweep stuff it'll make it easer for the QB to read the defense, and get mismatches.

I think Kliff fairly quickly figured out that doesn't work nearly as well in the NFL and he started doing other stuff to where we're all now complaining guys don't move around enough.
I wonder whether after all the pre-snap penalties in 2019, Kingsbury felt like he had to reduce the pre-snap motion to stop drives from being killed. I don't recall whether there was more motion in Kingsbury's first year? Then last year, he seemed to be bringing it back, just a bit, compared to 2020.

...dave

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder whether after all the pre-snap penalties in 2019, Kingsbury felt like he had to reduce the pre-snap motion to stop drives from being killed. I don't recall whether there was more motion in Kingsbury's first year? Then last year, he seemed to be bringing it back, just a bit, compared to 2020.

...dave

I think it's the false starts and stuff yes. But also remember that first preseason when defenses were just smacking us in the mouth and laughing about our soft college offense. I think Kliff realized pretty quickly he had to change which was all the 2 and 3 TE stuff that first year.

He's closer to the air raid now than he was his first year IMO but it's still not really an air raid IMO

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think it's the false starts and stuff yes. But also remember that first preseason when defenses were just smacking us in the mouth and laughing about our soft college offense. I think Kliff realized pretty quickly he had to change which was all the 2 and 3 TE stuff that first year.

He's closer to the air raid now than he was his first year IMO but it's still not really an air raid IMO
Due to the NFL rules and the hash marks, he will never run a pure 'air raid' but the ironic thing about Kliff is they he can formulate one of the best rushing attacks in the league when he's not obsessed about living up to being that innovative passing guru... if chilled out with his eye on the prize, Kliff can call plays with the best of them in this league and he showed that for more than half of the season, which lead me to believe that it was Kyler who was not spending enough time adapting to his adjustments