Monty…

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
that's rich -- now the player who turned many teams around and who's leadership got us to the Finals and best record, who was #1 in assists and #1 in the clutch is to blame for a "bad" system that was holding back the coach of the year from getting the job done with a 2-0 lead in the 2nd round.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Out-coached repeatedly in consecutive playoff series’ by Wllie Green and Jason Kidd as a #1 overall seed.

As a leader of men, off the charts. As an strategic, X and O guy in the NBA playoffs, A TON left to be desired

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this… though, what/who is the standard for a NBA Elite Athlete?
Theres the elite athletes at the 2/3 (Minnesota’s edwards, Jaylen Brown, Tatum) and Unicorns (Luka/Steph) and elite athletes that are also Unicorns (Ja/Giannis/LeBron/Kawai when healthy). There’s not many of them in the league. But you usually need one or the other to be your best player to win a title.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't even care. And I still care more than the team does. This type of failure cannot be overcome.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was simply no adjustments in all the games. The mavs just simply did a weak screen and the suns just kept switching, they did this until they got the iso they wanted which was either getting CP3 or Ayton to defend. Offense, the same set, let guys stand in the corner as Booker gets doubled or tripled.

Then i'm not sure why they finally decided to pressure Luka or Brunson for most of the court. Even then they didn't have a guy right in the face of Luka, it was just soft defensive coverage. First quarter i was screaming for them to throw a blitz double at Luka.

I dont think the lack of timeouts needs to be discussed...

Monty has proved to us for two playoffs that he simply isn't going to adjust whether thats a flaw or just being stubborn.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty is a bad coach we’ve won in spite of him. If Paul was hurt you sit him. Plain and simple you don’t continue to hurt the team

20-0 run? He Just sits there. No timeouts no adjustments no nothing just a lot of play hard guys.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was simply no adjustments in all the games. The mavs just simply did a weak screen and the suns just kept switching, they did this until they got the iso they wanted which was either getting CP3 or Ayton to defend. Offense, the same set, let guys stand in the corner as Booker gets doubled or tripled.

Then i'm not sure why they finally decided to pressure Luka or Brunson for most of the court. Even then they didn't have a guy right in the face of Luka, it was just soft defensive coverage. First quarter i was screaming for them to throw a blitz double at Luka.

Monty has proved to us for two playoffs that he simply isn't going to adjust whether thats a flaw or just being stubborn.
What I just couldn't fathom is the sideline reporters heard the Mavs coaches say "anybody but Booker" on the sideline. So, their approach the last two games was let ANYBODY but Booker score. You could see it. They doubled him as soon as he touched the ball, they even tripled him a few times. Monty had no answer. None. Some of that was because Paul evaporated in the playoffs. Some of it was because no other guys really showed up consistently.

Why not take the same approach with Luka? Make anybody other than Luka beat you? If not, why not let Luka try and score 100 by himself and stay at home on their shooters? I mean Monty didn't seem like he had a solid strategy at all. I have never seen so many late switches with our guys running out to recover on wide open 3 point shooters in my life with this team. It's like we were ALWAYS out of position on their shooters.

The timeout thing is mind boggling to me. It's pretty much a fundamental thing for all coaches.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Monty let us down but I'd say the players let us and Monty down even more.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty is a bad coach we’ve won in spite of him. If Paul was hurt you sit him. Plain and simple you don’t continue to hurt the team

20-0 run? He Just sits there. No timeouts no adjustments no nothing just a lot of play hard guys.
Monty is a mediocre coach and we won because CP3 is an incredible coach on the floor and was probably calling the shots in the huddle and in practice too.

Had CP3 never been signed here, we'd probably have been a borderline playoff team the past two years and Monty would have been praised for his leadership skills and his role in taking us from the basement to the top stair leading to the first floor. But he wouldn't have sniffed a COY award. And we probably wouldn't be hearing calls for his job either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel something had to happen to throw the Suns off this much in the series, particularly game 7.

IMO, there has to be some things going on behind the scene. Something had to hurt chemistry for them to play that poorly last night.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did look like they quit. But before they quit, they looked confused, scared and rudderless.
From the opening tap.

Yesterday was really crazy. An all-time disaster not just for Phoenix sports but sports in general.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the opening tap.

Yesterday was really crazy. An all-time disaster not just for Phoenix sports but sports in general.

From the start of the playoffs

And they’ve looked DONE since game 6. For Monty to come out and say we weren’t prepared for them to come out like that as a huge red flag

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the start of the playoffs

And they’ve looked DONE since game 6. For Monty to come out and say we weren’t prepared for them to come out like that as a huge red flag

The Suns played well enough against the Pelicans but something happened to Chris Paul near the day of his birthday and he wasn't the same after that.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns played well enough against the Pelicans but something happened to Chris Paul near the day of his birthday and he wasn't the same after that.

We really didn’t. No team all year made us look the way the pelicans did.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We really didn’t. No team all year made us look the way the pelicans did.

I thought the Pelicans were a very underrated team once they added CJ McCollum and Larry Nance Jr.

They weren't the same team that started the season. Willie Green is a very good coach.

The Mavericks followed their blue print on how to beat the Suns.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the Pelicans were a very underrated team once they added CJ McCollum and Larry Nance Jr.

They weren't the same team that started the season. Willie Green is a very good coach.

The Mavericks followed their blue print on how to beat the Suns.

That’s where we have different point of view.

I don’t think the Mavs followed any blue print to beat us I see the Suns imploding. We quit.

It’s not like we magically got figured out after 2 years.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t think the Mavs followed any blue print to beat us I see the Suns imploding. We quit.

You are on a roll today. The Mavs 100% had a blue print. The sideline reports even said the Mavs coaches were preaching "anybody but Book". Then if you watched the game you could see they trapped Book, they doubled him. They didn't think Paul had anything and were daring the Suns to make anybody else beat them.

What were you watching?!?!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are on a roll today. The Mavs 100% had a blue print. The sideline reports even said the Mavs coaches were preaching "anybody but Book". Then if you watched the game you could see they trapped Book, they doubled him. They didn't think Paul had anything and were daring the Suns to make anybody else beat them.

What were you watching?!?!

Oh one of us is definitely on a roll today

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh one of us is definitely on a roll today
You are on the first step to recovery.

I guess the actual reporters covering the games and talking to the coaches know less then you. LOL

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is no excuse for the Suns performance in game 7.

I do think the Mavericks learned the Suns weaknesses by studying tape from the Pelicans series.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He had a strong 1st quarter in Game 3. Does anybody have the game recorded to watch and see if he had an injury after that?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no excuse for the Suns performance in game 7.

I do think the Mavericks learned the Suns weaknesses by studying tape from the Pelicans series.
Agreed. That's why the playoffs are a different beast. You have time to gameplan for the same team. You are not bouncing from team to team every other night like in the regular season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave