Mavericks @ Suns Sunday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-15-2022 - Game 7

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This off-season should be monumental for Book. He just learned he still isn’t “there” yet. Will he double down on working his ass off to become better?
He should… my gut is that he will. How much better can get get remains a question though..
There’s a ceiling on guys who aren’t born unicorns or great athletes. Like, he’s never going to become the passer Luka is no matter how hard he tries. Luka is like Magic, Bird, LeBron… guys with eyes in the back of their head who have a gift.

He’s also not the natural magician with the ball a Curry is. And he’s a good but not great athlete AND he’s only 6’5, so he’s never going to really be able to get the physical edge needed to be THE Superstar.

What he can get better at that could elevate him is to become a Ray Allen-esque 3 point shooter. That is possible and the place he can raise his game the most but even then, that’s a skill that CAN be shut down.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We all know that I am the biggest Booker fan on this board and the failures tonight start there.
i respect you for saying that. I'm more encouraged by his season than dissapointed in the way it ended, though.

we knew CP3 would break down soon. But it's Booker who is still our future. It helps to know how much of a load he can carry. Pairing him up with another all-star in a year or two, who is a good fit, will be key.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vecenie is connected, btw
Cool. Get your numbers elsewhere. At the risk of going full Singletary... I want winners. Can't win without em.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Even though I believe Ayton has played his last game as a Sun I hope that I am wrong.
Ditto.

I think Charles is right . . . next season you say “we aren’t running the Paul offense anymore.” And you make Paul rung three on the ladder. You work Ayton to death in gaining low position and screening off his defender and you work the rest to death on feeding the post. Then you do just that. Start playing inside out. Pound it inside to start the season to see if Ayton can be that guy. And let everyone play off that. If he can’t, then you trade him. If he can he becomes 1b unless he shows the dawg and can move into 1a.

We didn’t do that this year because I think in Monty’s mind he didn’t want to fix what wasn’t “broken.” But I think you gotta find out if Ayton can do that. And the truth is, the window is closed on the Chris paul offense suns. Let it die. Start moving to the next iteration.

And Payne, bridges, shamet and cam Johnson better be doing nothing this summer but becoming 40% 3 point shooters. They’ve missed so many open 3s it’s criminal. And bridges needs to do some serious weight building.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 93 I believe we went out and got Manning and AC. Gotta do something
That was when we were able to chsat and get the best FA on the market for 1 year, 1 million bucks with an under the table deal that we’d pay them their worth the next season once we had their Bird rights.

That won’t be available to us. And even if it was, of Sarver is still calling shots, I have no clue what he’s gonna do with cap/tax/etc.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ditto.

I think Charles is right . . . next season you say “we aren’t running the Paul offense anymore.” And you make Paul rung three on the ladder. You work Ayton to death in gaining low position and screening off his defender and you work the rest to death on feeding the post. Then you do just that. Start playing inside out. Pound it inside to start the season to see if Ayton can be that guy. And let everyone play off that. If he can’t, then you trade him. If he can he becomes 1b unless he shows the dawg and can move into 1a.

We didn’t do that this year because I think in Monty’s mind he didn’t want to fix what wasn’t “broken.” But I think you gotta find out if Ayton can do that. And the truth is, the window is closed on the Chris paul offense suns. Let it die. Start moving to the next iteration.

And Payne, bridges, shamet and cam Johnson better be doing nothing this summer but becoming 40% 3 point shooters. They’ve missed so many open 3s it’s criminal. And bridges needs to do some serious weight building.

I thought Ayton was going to fall apart when Paul went out but that’s when he looked amazing.

Now does Monty have the sack to tell Paul to take a back seat

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cool. Get your numbers elsewhere. At the risk of going full Singletary... I want winners. Can't win without em.

We literally went to the finals last year and had the best record in the NBA with him this year.

Make no mistake this was a Team collapse. You getting rid of Booker and Paul to? Cause they were both worse than Ayton

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Booker is a star and at worst a Top-15 player. Seriously, some of you are insane prisoners of the moment.
Yup. He’s just not a Lebron, doncic, giannis level superstar. Few are. They’re incredibly rare.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don’t know… I fear he’s also on his last legs. And he won’t change us from being tissue paper soft on D.
Yeah Lilliard wasn’t good before injury this season. If we had to give up much for him I don’t think we’re any better and maybe worse.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton did NOT "look amazing" without Paul this season, just like he did not look amazing when Paul broke down this series.

but the offense, particularly our center strength, did indeed break down when Paul broke down. Ayton HAS to be paired with a gifted pg like Paul who can feed him properly in the paint. McGee and B too.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We literally went to the finals last year and had the best record in the NBA with him this year.

Make no mistake this was a Team collapse. You getting rid of Booker and Paul to? Cause they were both worse than Ayton
I've stated my case. This team isn't meant for another long playoff run. We had zero fear from two teams as a Numero Uno. No bueno. Why hold onto something when it's cooked? Flush it and try again with some youth and try building again. I could see Booker being held as a complimentary piece. I don't personally like his hero ball... but hey, I'm probably just spouting off cause I'm no big fan of Ayton or Booker.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want to hear another thing about Book writing "be legendary" on his shoes. This was your chance and you weren't. I would have settled for being good.

I also never want to hear a "Suns in 4" chant for the rest of my life.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really am stunned by how quickly I got over this.

I am beyond curious to see what the hell this team does this off-season. More out of morbid curiosity, but very very curious.

Oh yeah I’m not even mad.

It’s sad but I fully expected us to lose today

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to take this time to own my own stupid comment that Doncic wouldn't start for us outside of Crowder.

I still can't stand Luka but yeah he was the best player in this series.
I hate that dude because a) he’s a grinning douche b) a massive flopper and c) because we didn’t draft him (even though I led the DONT DRAFT DONCIC BRIGADE).

But he’s a generational talent. He’s a less athletic but more confident LeBron James. A physical mismatch nightmare and the smartest player on the court who just has that… thing.

And tonight was his HERE I AM NBA statement that we will be hearing about from here to eternity.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really am stunned by how quickly I got over this.

I am beyond curious to see what the hell this team does this off-season. More out of morbid curiosity, but very very curious.
I told my wife after the first round I won't be shocked if we get bounced because of how bad they were playing. So, not really shocked. Disappointed like no tomorrow but not shocked. I think my expectations are going to be very tempered likely for the foreseeable future barring a mega-trade of some sort.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey Suns nation…..I’m back and feeling better. Wow……that was probably the worst game I’ve ever watched of any of my sports teams and that’s with me being a Bengals, University of Tennessee, Arsenal and Washington Capitals/Nationals fan lol.

That game was awful to watch. We didn’t show up in the biggest game of the year. 64 wins has never felt more of a waste. This team could never flip that switch that we saw in the regular season.

I’ll save my DA comments but man Devin Booker…….. that’s unacceptable. Favorite player and I think best 2 guard but mannnnnnnnnn you can’t get 30-balled at home in a game 7. I still think he’s a borderline superstar but do we give him a Supermax? I don’t know…..

Do I know he’s gonna be fueled by this?!?!?!? Yes. But this was a golden opportunity. He needs to bring a title to Phoenix and I still have faith Book. But he’s gotta get better distributing the ball. This iso, tough shot stuff isn’t going to win. Trust your teammates, keep working that 3-ball and become a better leader.

Supposedly him and Kendall are on a break…..he’s a grown *** man and can date whoever he wants. Book…..focus. Don’t let outside noise effect you inside the white lines.

I’m not mad we lost, I’m mad we didn’t show up. After the Finals last year I was thankful because our guys didn’t quit. This team was already in Cancun.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose