Giants release Bradberry

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you can report / cry / whine about my response but I literally think you don't understand money if you can't understand liquid finances versus fixed finances

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
'Dead' money is simply an unavailable asset under the Cap. It isn't relevant to the relative wealth of an owner.
But it is.
If you cut/release 3 players who each have 8mil in guaranteed salaries for the next 2 seasons...that 24mil per season in dead money still has to be paid out to those players... just as fired coaches still have to be paid for the remainder of their contracts.

Wealthy teams can make those types of moves. Less wealthy teams cannot.
Even if a guy has a couple years of guaranteed money, but you designate him post June 1st to accelerate the cap hit...that guaranteed money still has to be paid for the second year...you only accelerated it's affect on the cap, not your accounts payable.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Saints owner literally made $110 million over the cap go away two years in a row.

You have to be able to shell out TENS of millions to be able to do that. Only billionaire owners with crazy amounts of liquid cash can do that.

Earlier this off-season people pointed out that the Bidwill family are billionaires...yeah they own AN asset worth over a billion, but their cash on hand is probably a fraction of what the Benson family has...and by fraction, probably less than 1/10.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Saints owner literally made $110 million over the cap go away two years in a row.

You have to be able to shell out TENS of millions to be able to do that. Only billionaire owners with crazy amounts of liquid cash can do that.

Earlier this off-season people pointed out that the Bidwill family are billionaires...yeah they own AN asset worth over a billion, but their cash on hand is probably a fraction of what the Benson family has...and by fraction, probably less than 1/10.
Mike B so broke he had to buy that new plane on sale.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will dumb this down as much as possible.

2 contracts of 10 million dollars a year for 3 years

Owner #1 fully guarantees that contract and stretches the cap hit 6 years.

Owner #2 has only 5 million up front and a 5 million signing bonus

Player sees 10 million guaranteed versus 30 million. Owner #2 has 20 million less financial commitment. #1 has more cap space since the cap impact stretches beyond the length of the contract.

Any other stupid questions?

IGNORE... KRANG had a good answer!

One 'stupid' question...

Show us 'actual' examples of scenario #1 so that we can be certain this doesn't come from your nether region?

And, if you can, this does not constitute 'manipulation' of Cap rules, as in 'cheating' but simply working within the agreed restrictions.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But it is.
If you cut/release 3 players who each have 8mil in guaranteed salaries for the next 2 seasons...that 24mil per season in dead money still has to be paid out to those players... just as fired coaches still have to be paid for the remainder of their contracts.

Wealthy teams can make those types of moves. Less wealthy teams cannot.
Even if a guy has a couple years of guaranteed money, but you designate him post June 1st to accelerate the cap hit...that guaranteed money still has to be paid for the second year...you only accelerated it's affect on the cap, not your accounts payable.

Coaches' contracts are completely separate from the accounting for players.

Invariably the team's actual' financial obligations to the player have been paid prior to being cut and we are simply dealing with the accounting requirements under the Cap.

Do bad investments curtail future decisions? Sure, I would imagine, but previous failures didn't prevent Mike B. from paying a premium for JJ Watt or paying top dollar for DHop or what is likely a hefty stipend for K. Murray in the not too distant.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
One 'stupid' question...

Show us 'actual' examples of scenario #1 so that we can be certain this doesn't come from your nether region?

And, if you can, this does not constitute 'manipulation' of Cap rules, as in 'cheating' but simply working within the agreed restrictions.
Saints every year the past, what?! Three years.

To get under the cap, they add voidable years to contracts and convert salary into bonuses that are paid immediately.

So let's say a player has $22 million salary this year and I want to cut his cap number down, I could convert $20 million into a bonus and add 4-5 voidable years. Do that for 3 or 4 players and I've just cut my cap number for each player significantly.

But let's say, theoretically I did that for 4 players making $22 million...I'd have to have $80 million in cash sitting around to pay those bonuses. The Benson family are extremely wealthy, even if we didn't consider that they own the Saints and NBA Pelicans.

A team like the Cardinals can do this a little bit, and they have started to, but no where close to what fans on this board have advocated.

Right or wrong, the Cardinals are cleaning the cap a bit this year. Next year they should have significant cap space and can rework a few problem areas of the roster. If this rookie class works out, they should be in good shape, especially if one of the OL works out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
One 'stupid' question...

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IGNORE... KRANG had a good answer!

One 'stupid' question...

The most recent example is the Aaron Donald contract and how it lets them effectively circumvent the cap. It has 3 different bonuses to ensure the guaranteed salary.

For going beyond the existing contract that would be how we squeezed JJ Watt under the cap last year. We will still be paying Watt 2 years after he is off the team.

I never said people cheat. I said that the cap is a myth if you want it to be and it absolutely favors richer owners.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I‘ve put this up before. The term is Cash Over Cap. The website Overthecap.com tracks it, but I think you have to pay to see the dollars. Using Google will give you several articles on various manipulations that never seem to get teams penalized. This is what Capologists do to earn their money.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mike B so broke he had to buy that new plane on sale.
It was indeed a great buy-low action during the pandemic when a lot of companies are selling their pre-owned jets low. Planes were dirt cheap at the time compared to their regular prices. Heck, I would do the same if I have the money.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was indeed a great buy-low action during the pandemic when a lot of companies are selling their pre-owned jets low. Planes were dirt cheap at the time compared to their regular prices. Heck, I would do the same if I have the money.
Get their confidence, get their friendship, get their trust, then get their money

Attachments

• used cars.jpg
    used cars.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 7

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Surprised it's a 1 year deal, but $10 million is a chunk this last in the year

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, who would want a guy that would automatically be our #1 corner, and shore up a very questionable position?
Questionable?

Our secondary is actually pretty good.
Gladney is the only question among our starters and he was a 1st round pick.
Wilson dropped off late last year. But that's pretty common among rookies adapting to the longer nfl season.... not to mention the entire defense collapsed in front of him.
We need a vet or two for depth just like every other team in the league but our secondary is in much better shape than most of them.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Questionable?
Yes, questionable. We have a decent slot corner, and some lottery tickets. That is the definition of questionable.

Our secondary is actually pretty good.
Our safeties our actually pretty good! Our corners are extremely questionable.
Gladney is the only question among our starters and he was a 1st round pick.
Gladney didn't play a snap of football last year.
Wilson dropped off late last year.
Dropped off? He was what, 78th out of 82 corners? You and I have very different definitions of "dropped off". Teams picked on him mercilessly as the season went on.
We need a vet or two for depth just like every other team in the league but our secondary is in much better shape than most of them.
You're dreaming - our corners are among the worst groups in the NFL. A guy like Bradberry would have been a big upgrade.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yes, questionable. We have a decent slot corner, and some lottery tickets. That is the definition of questionable.

Our safeties our actually pretty good! Our corners are extremely questionable.

Gladney didn't play a snap of football last year.

Dropped off? He was what, 78th out of 82 corners? You and I have very different definitions of "dropped off". Teams picked on him mercilessly as the season went on.

You're dreaming - our corners are among the worst groups in the NFL. A guy like Bradberry would have been a big upgrade.
Wilson got beat up late. No doubt. But our entire defense collapsed in front of him, he had nagging injuries, and it was his first time playing a long season.
First half,when the entire defense was healthy, the kid was having an outstanding rookie season.
He is gonna be fine.
The entire success of our secondary hinges on rather or not VJ has to scheme to stop the run.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Wilson got beat up late. No doubt. But our entire defense collapsed in front of him, he had nagging injuries, and it was his first time playing a long season.
First half,when the entire defense was healthy, the kid was having an outstanding rookie season.
He is gonna be fine.
The entire success of our secondary hinges on rather or not VJ has to scheme to stop the run.
A lot of excuses for him being one of the worst corners in football last year.

He has shown some potential, yes, but to think that a Wilson/Gladney duo is anything other than a bottom 5 CB duo in this league is madness at this point. They COULD both be great, but it's not likely.

Seeing our current roster, even if Wilson were improved, it may be hard to tell. I don't see how we'll stop the run or rush the passer at this point, so analysis might be more difficult.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bradberry gave up 848 yards, 62% comp percentage and 8 TD's last year while missing 22% of his tackles.

I can live without him.
Pp21 old version part 2 yea glad cards passed lot of yds to wrs