Report: Former Packers DT Kingsley Keke signed by Cardinals. Now Cut.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sign BOTH of them. Right about now, a HS team could have success running against us.
Clowney is one of the best run stoppers in the league, and mediocre as a pass rusher (though that is what people are led to believe about him since his hype during the draft)... sign Clowney and Keke and I would be extremely confident in our run defense :raccoon:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All I can think about with this guy is the magnificent book Jade City by Fonda Lee.

Honestly, he seems okay. He won't nearly be enough to fix the DL problems, and we still need a real impact player there, but he'll be a nice addition to the rotation.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Saw this here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I guess that's PFF. So if we're going by PFF, it looks like he's weak against the run by pretty decent against the pass.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Reaction score
Meh, I want pressure more than stopping the run. It's a passing league and pass rushing is way more valuable. You can stop the run ok just by scheme, but if guys cant beat their guy, you're not getting to the QB.
Clearly you can't stop the run okay just by scheme, or VJ doesn't know how to do it.

The scary thing is I think VJ mostly just doesn't care about keying on the run. Like, ever, with some few exceptions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Clearly you can't stop the run okay just by scheme, or VJ doesn't know how to do it.

The scary thing is I think VJ mostly just doesn't care about keying on the run. Like, ever, with some few exceptions.
Stopping the pass is significantly more important. It's not even close.

There is a reason not a single RB went in round one.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That Green Bay game last year makes me think that stopping the run should be a priority.

Stout

Reaction score

There's a world of difference between prioritizing pass defense and utterly ignoring run defense. Granted, no pro coach is going to 100 percent ignore the run, but VJ can and does downplay the problem so much that it exponentially worsens the problem.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Exactly. Stopping the pass is paramount.
Vance plays a lot of two deep looks from what I've noticed. I haven't seen the break down, but the Cardinals have the appearance of a team that wants to keep plays in front of them and force teams to move down the field methodically.

Not a big risk taking type of defense, and it works well when the Cardinals have an early lead.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
There's a world of difference between prioritizing pass defense and utterly ignoring run defense.
Is that what happened though? The Cardinals weren't good against the run, but they weren't a disaster either.
Granted, no pro coach is going to 100 percent ignore the run, but VJ can and does downplay the problem so much that it exponentially worsens the problem.
The Cardinals had the 11th ranked defense last year. I'm no fan of Vance, but his strategy mostly worked.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think defensive coordinators are okay with giving up 4 yards a rush if they are playing a 7 man box and not compromising pass defense

the Cardinal's problem last year was the run D was bad enough in certain games that they were giving up >4 yards a run with 8 man boxes

the latter is a bad combo

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Vance plays a lot of two deep looks from what I've noticed. I haven't seen the break down, but the Cardinals have the appearance of a team that wants to keep plays in front of them and force teams to move down the field methodically.

Not a big risk taking type of defense, and it works well when the Cardinals have an early lead.
One of the reasons that paying Budda all this money was insane was that Vance doesn't seem to think you need dynamic defensive backs and when we were cooking last season, Budda and Thompson were playing back, and he wasn't making plays.

When we got desperate late in the season and Simmons was regressing, we started bringing Budda down into the box as a pass rush threat and in run support, and the pass defense came unglued.

It's worth considering that the Cards announced extensions for Keim, Kingsbury, and a bunch of the offensive staff, but it's been *crickets* about Vance and his staff. Would not be at all surprised if we look outside the organization. Seems like he and Keim have never seen eye to eye on personnel or system.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

The problem is that we have two teams in our division which though might not have the Raven's extreme philosophy of depending on the run, the Niners and Seahawks are going to be all about the run game. Going to suck a bag of ____ if we cannot beat a rebuilding Seahawk team because we cannot stop the run

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a statistical fact that if your name begins with K you have a 50% higher chance of being hired by the Cards.

If you have double K's you're a lock.

Kevin King incoming any day.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose