Giants release Bradberry

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
JJ Watt just like his last couple years in HOU cannot stay on the field. His best years are behind him so ARZ paid for the name but this year Keim isn't paying for any names.
The question was whether or not Keim would sign big names and I answered that correctly, even more so if the guy could not even stay on the field. You specifically said that was not Keim's 'taste' to do so and that implies a consistent course of preference on Keim's behalf. Watt, Hopkins, Hollywood Brown (yeah, that's more than a average name at his age being another team's main target), Hudson, Palmer... it is possible because all we have is past actions to base our opinions

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Maybe, they do have a bunch of draft capital they could use to trade up next year.
Or maybe they are still trying to win despite Hurts, though it might be a fool's errand if the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl. Winning just your division is at least something for their fan base. I do not think Hurts is a bad prospect, we just have lost track at how difficult the position is and for the most part of what is the NFL it has taken QBs a few years to become 'that guy' for their respective franchise. We are in the instant gratification age which frankly is unrealistic and why this world is so screwed up and the NFL is an extension of this stupidity

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Or maybe they are still trying to win despite Hurts, though it might be a fool's errand if the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl. Winning just your division is at least something for their fan base. I do not think Hurts is a bad prospect, we just have lost track at how difficult the position is and for the most part of what is the NFL it has taken QBs a few years to become 'that guy' for their respective franchise. We are in the instant gratification age which frankly is unrealistic and why this world is so screwed up and the NFL is an extension of this stupidity
I don't think Hurts is a bad player...I think he is a limited player. Who knows though...sometimes guys actually...develop.

When Josh Allen came out I was scared as hell the Cardinals would draft him and get a QB who was a sub 60% passer...basically a high end John Skelton.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think Hurts is a bad player...I think he is a limited player. Who knows though...sometimes guys actually...develop.

When Josh Allen came out I was scared as hell the Cardinals would draft him and get a QB who was a sub 60% passer...basically a high end John Skelton.
Ya Josh Allen broke the mold.. it’s pretty much unheard of to fix your accuracy issues 2 years into the NFL, but he sure as heck did it. Thought for sure we would see some regression and year 3 of his might have been an outlier. Nope - he’s the real deal.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Or the cap is fake and the owner is just pocketing that cash.
Most teams still don't go crazy and do what the Saints do.

I took a lot of crap from fans on this board, but owners with lower cash flows can't just punt cap space each year and make money.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Ya Josh Allen broke the mold.. it’s pretty much unheard of to fix your accuracy issues 2 years into the NFL, but he sure as heck did it. Thought for sure we would see some regression and year 3 of his might have been an outlier. Nope - he’s the real deal.
I was a petrified we might draft Allen because really accuracy to the degree he was lacking never gets fixed, and somehow he did... I would still never draft a guy like him coming out, because as you stated it is very rare such a player ever fixes that

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most teams still don't go crazy and do what the Saints do.

I took a lot of crap from fans on this board, but owners with lower cash flows can't just punt cap space each year and make money.

Yes that is correct. The Cardinals don't have a diversified portfolio of businesses where they can just bank increased franchise value.

Those that do though have a tremendous advantage due to the ability to manipulate the cap rules.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The question was whether or not Keim would sign big names and I answered that correctly, even more so if the guy could not even stay on the field. You specifically said that was not Keim's 'taste' to do so and that implies a consistent course of preference on Keim's behalf. Watt, Hopkins, Hollywood Brown (yeah, that's more than a average name at his age being another team's main target), Hudson, Palmer... it is possible because all we have is past actions to base our opinions
You missed the point when I wrote he is not signing a name this year, Watt was signed last year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Going to be interesting to see what happens without Daboll. Allen looks like the best QB in the league and other times looks like his accuracy could eventually hold him back from reaching his full potential.

A lot of pressure on Ken Dorsey.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yes that is correct. The Cardinals don't have a diversified portfolio of businesses where they can just bank increased franchise value.

Those that do though have a tremendous advantage due to the ability to manipulate the cap rules.

Manipulate how?

The only true advantage a richer owner has is the ready cash or borrowing ability to cover a bonus in the short term. In the end, it all has to be accounted under Cap rules.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Manipulate how?

The only true advantage a richer owner has is the ready cash or borrowing ability to cover a bonus in the short term. In the end, it all has to be accounted under Cap rules.
Dead money.
Cash that has to be paid, or already has, that is not actively helping your team win.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manipulate how?

They can pay bonus money up front is the simplest answer to your incredibly complex financial question

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will dumb this down as much as possible.

2 contracts of 10 million dollars a year for 3 years

Owner #1 fully guarantees that contract and stretches the cap hit 6 years.

Owner #2 has only 5 million up front and a 5 million signing bonus

Player sees 10 million guaranteed versus 30 million. Owner #2 has 20 million less financial commitment. #1 has more cap space since the cap impact stretches beyond the length of the contract.

Any other stupid questions?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose