Mavericks @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-10-2022 - Game 5

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They press cp3 full court, not softly with a 6 feet cushion too. Can we screen someone hard please? Can we also do the same to Luka too? We have the guys to pressure him, Mikal Book and Crowder. It doesn't have to be one of them on every defensive possession but we can mix it up. We are just switching way to easy instead of fighting to stay straight man and we fail to anticipate passing. This requires high energy and using more than a 7 man rotation. i just wish we would substitute early to keep energy up and guys fresher, this would require digging into our bench deeper though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They press cp3 full court, not softly with a 6 feet cushion too. Can we screen someone hard please? Can we also do the same to Luka too? We have the guys to pressure him, Mikal Book and Crowder. It doesn't have to be one of them on every defensive possession but we can mix it up. We are just switching way to easy instead of fighting to stay straight man and we fail to anticipate passing. This requires high energy and using more than a 7 man rotation. i just wish we would substitute early to keep energy up and guys fresher, this would require digging into our bench deeper though.

The Suns need to have another player to bring the ball up the court to keep Chris Paul fresh. Also they need to run some plays where Paul is not primarily involved. In game 4, Paul was left wide open for a corner 3P. The Suns need to do more of this.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everybody is just so damn sure that we would play Golden State if we make it to the next round. Frankly I don't think Golden State is that great and I would be more afraid of playing Memphis.
The once in a blue moon Joe Mama post?!? Good to see you, hope you're doing well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are the referees for tonight's game.

David Guthrie (#16); Sean Wright (#4); Tom Washington (#49); Tre Maddox (#23)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torrey Craig says he is ready to play.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torrey Craig says he is ready to play.

I think he means he can play. I don't think he has been "ready to play" since the acquisition. ;) :oops:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Man, I have no idea which team is going to show up tonight. The team that was rolling through the middle part of the regular season that didn't lose more than 2 games in a row all year? I'd love to see that team again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put Ish Smith in and use six hard fouls on doncic. Get your monies worth

I think smaller guards that can get in Doncic' lap on defense is the secret to slowing him down. Chris Paul and Cam Payne have done this in stretches. Of course a double team will need to follow when he gets close to the basket.

Perhaps Holiday might be able to do this as well. This might be a use for Payton too.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question. Anybody think that if the Suns continue to struggle with rebounding, they get the Twin Towers in there again? Now that isn't going to work if Dallas comes out and hits 20 threes again, but it might limit the second chance points that resulted in a bunch of those threes.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the key is USE the damn bench! They were huge all season now Monty short rotation just wearing the starters out and letting know one else get any rhythm! Stop being stubborn Monty and play some guys geesh Dallas looks like the deeper team because Kidd is actually using them trying to keep guys fresh legs!!!!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the key is USE the damn bench! They were huge all season now Monty short rotation just wearing the starters out and letting know one else get any rhythm! Stop being stubborn Monty and play some guys geesh Dallas looks like the deeper team because Kidd is actually using them trying to keep guys fresh legs!!!!
The problem is the guys from the bench he IS playing not named McGee have been awful.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot agree in the slightest.

Outside Cam Johnson, and McGee to a degree, the bench has been putrid.

Every minute we keep them off the court is important, they quite simply have been tanking us.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have a question. Anybody think that if the Suns continue to struggle with rebounding, they get the Twin Towers in there again? Now that isn't going to work if Dallas comes out and hits 20 threes again, but it might limit the second chance points that resulted in a bunch of those threes.
The issue is long rebounds from missed threes. For some reason the suns give them up at a much higher clip than other teams it seems. Against Dallas we have not been getting beat with boards around the basket.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot agree in the slightest.

Outside Cam Johnson, and McGee to a degree, the bench has been putrid.

Every minute we keep them off the court is important, they quite simply have been tanking us.
Disagree I think part of the reason they are underperforming is lack of playing. They didn’t suck all season? And you have a bench for a reason yet Monty keeps running Payne out there and not playing Holiday even though Payne has been awful. You can switch it up try different guys we have a deep bench but matters not if Coach refuses to play anyone. Biz and McGee both have 6 fouls they could put on anyone going into the lane. This team needs to start being more physical if they gonna call fouls make them freaking count! Ish and Craig can be used as well. Bench isn’t just for scoring they need to give guys rest and can come in and put bodies on people use your fouls! Wear them out like we did all season to teams!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Doncic does this drive to the top of the key, then leans way back, and passes to his three point shooters. Instead of the Suns drawing in to defend him, they need to run out to their guys and wait, the ball is coming their way! We need to do this a few times and make Doncic take that shot. The threes off that are killing us.

Also, Monty has not done enough to develop different ways to get the ball into our centers. We struggle when it's not CP3 passing it in. That's something we have not addressed all year. Smaller guys are defending the entry pass against us and getting away with it. That is one of the few criticisms I have with Monty's coaching.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

These came in today, the pattern goes well beyond what is shown. I will wear them to game 5... they go up above my knee, they also match my custom purple, orange and white converse.

So at least, no matter the result, I will look ridiculous.
Awesome! Ill for sure be on the lookout for those!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doncic does this drive to the top of the key, then leans way back, and passes to his three point shooters. Instead of the Suns drawing in to defend him, they need to run out to their guys and wait, the ball is coming their way! We need to do this a few times and make Doncic take that shot. The threes off that are killing us.

Also, Monty has not done enough to develop different ways to get the ball into our centers. We struggle when it's not CP3 passing it in. That's something we have not addressed all year. Smaller guys are defending the entry pass against us and getting away with it. That is one of the few criticisms I have with Monty's coaching.

IMO, the key to beat the Mavericks is to make Doncic carry the scoring load. Stay down on his fakes and keep the arms straight up.

Don't leave the other players.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My heart racin hopin i get to use suns win bong hit soon.....

Come mr cp3 monster da pleaseeeeee show up your in phoenix

Sadly ive had a bad gut feelin all day :(

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty confirms Torrey Craig is available to play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep thinking I'm gonna turn a game on one day and get those feels of last year's magical team.... Maybe tonight's the night. We can always hope.
Last year’s run was really special… the comeback down 2-1 v. The Lakers where we just kicked the crap out of them in 3 straight, leading to the Suns In 4 rout of the Nuggets to overcoming Chris’ Covid and taking a 2-0 lead on that incredible inbounds jam to win it and then on to the finals and what looked like an untouchable 2-0 lead.

They were just playing their best basketball of the season after going down 1-2 to the Lakers, on a torrid 11-2 clip, with blowouts and buzzer beaters galore… and that’s the last I usually think about them.

This playoffs so far has been a FREAKING GRIND. Games won get more sighs of relief than exultation so far.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave