Of All the Questionable Keim Drafts, this Year's is the ....

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
.... most puzzling, unintelligent, and down right moronic one of all.

This is not an emotional snap reaction to our draft. It has been a couple weeks now, and we all have had time to process it in full. So, set forth in several steps is my observation.

1. This first point is the one that takes the cake. It tips the scale off the chart from poor, weak, and questionable to complete utter incompetence and a total lack of intelligence. Probably the main aspect of the annual NFL draft is the fact that each team is given the Freedom of Choice. They all are granted, from their first pick on, the ability to wait until it's their turn, evaluate the many alternatives presented to them at that time, and then wisely make a decision that helps shape their franchise. No one, with any real smarts, would give up such a powerful gift as their freedom to choose once their time comes. It is the backbone and power of the draft. For Keim to throw that away, whether a day or week before the draft, is inexcusable.
a. Firstly, the trade was not that earth shattering and not one that should have been locked in ahead of time. Keim should have made it just one of many alternatives the Cards could have had when on the clock and after evaluating our other choices.
b. Appears to be an example of Keim thinking that he was smarter than everyone else.
c. Another time when Keim was so over enamored with a particular player that, by not waiting, wasted what might have been much better alternatives.
d. There were some super WRs that were going to be drafted in R1. If Keim felt that WR was the must R1 pick for us, there was no way of knowing ahead of time that an Olave, Wilson, or Dotson wouldn't have been available to us for a 5 year cap friendly price.
e. It turned out that a projected top 10 Jermaine Johnson was available and would have nicely filled what many would have agreed was our number 1 need. Jermaine Johnson might just be one of the many we reminisce in posts for years to come.

2. Many have wanted a top TE for years, but why the heck take one in a year we finally had already signed two of the better ones we have ever had? Did Keim forget? And really, we needed other positions with this R2 pick, no matter what we did in R1.

3 & 3. For God's sake, with all our needs we take 2 DEs, both one trick ponies if that. If I was to bet, I would expect both will be long gone before their first contract is up. There were much better starting players we could have had, even if we had to combine both picks to move up to the top of R3 to get DT, CB, or RB.

Yes, sorry fellow Cards' fans, there is no need to wait to pass judgement on this draft. It was a disaster. It's surely the worst example of Keim being as bad as a GM can be.

That is my story, and I'm sticking to it.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am with you on the R3 selection, not that I have anything against the players we selected (actually I knew nothing about them pre-draft), but I do believe Keim forced his own hand in R3 by not going edge in the first two rounds and diminished our chance to select players from other positions.

I do believe having taken Johnson in R1 would have opened our selections in later rounds completely.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. The trade wasn't triggered before the draft. It was there, but wasn't triggered until after the Ravens picked at #13. By which point Wilson, Olave and Williams were gone.

2. Maxx Williams is on a one year vet min deal and have a long injury history. Good teams should be drafting for next year, not this year.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Sissy. The trade could end up being a two year rental, not exactly how you build a team long term. If anyone thinks Brown isn't going to chase after the biggest contract he can get then I have a bridge in Death Valley to sell you. He's hoping to pad stats playing with Kyler who's going to be tossing the ball his way quite a bit as leverage for that next contract. He even said so himself. So it's very possible we wasted a first round pick for a two year player.

Tight End could have waited a year. Edge and CB were much bigger needs. We took the top ranked TE from a group that didn't have much to offer to begin with.

I also agree completely with 3&3.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
.... most puzzling, unintelligent, and down right moronic one of all.

This is not an emotional snap reaction to our draft. It has been a couple weeks now, and we all have had time to process it in full. So, set forth in several steps is my observation.

1. This first point is the one that takes the cake. It tips the scale off the chart from poor, weak, and questionable to complete utter incompetence and a total lack of intelligence. Probably the main aspect of the annual NFL draft is the fact that each team is given the Freedom of Choice. They all are granted, from their first pick on, the ability to wait until it's their turn, evaluate the many alternatives presented to them at that time, and then wisely make a decision that helps shape their franchise. No one, with any real smarts, would give up such a powerful gift as their freedom to choose once their time comes. It is the backbone and power of the draft. For Keim to throw that away, whether a day or week before the draft, is inexcusable.
a. Firstly, the trade was not that earth shattering and not one that should have been locked in ahead of time. Keim should have made it just one of many alternatives the Cards could have had when on the clock and after evaluating our other choices.
b. Appears to be an example of Keim thinking that he was smarter than everyone else.
c. Another time when Keim was so over enamored with a particular player that, by not waiting, wasted what might have been much better alternatives.
d. There were some super WRs that were going to be drafted in R1. If Keim felt that WR was the must R1 pick for us, there was no way of knowing ahead of time that an Olave, Wilson, or Dotson wouldn't have been available to us for a 5 year cap friendly price.
e. It turned out that a projected top 10 Jermaine Johnson was available and would have nicely filled what many would have agreed was our number 1 need. Jermaine Johnson might just be one of the many we reminisce in posts for years to come.

2. Many have wanted a top TE for years, but why the heck take one in a year we finally had already signed two of the better ones we have ever had? Did Keim forget? And really, we needed other positions with this R2 pick, no matter what we did in R1.

3 & 3. For God's sake, with all our needs we take 2 DEs, both one trick ponies if that. If I was to bet, I would expect both will be long gone before their first contract is up. There were much better starting players we could have had, even if we had to combine both picks to move up to the top of R3 to get DT, CB, or RB.

Yes, sorry fellow Cards' fans, there is no need to wait to pass judgement on this draft. It was a disaster. It's surely the worst example of Keim being as bad as a GM can be.

That is my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Completely disagree. If the Cards are to make the playoffs this season they can’t throw away the first 6 games. A rookie WR would not cut it. To keep Murray confident the trade had to be made. Keim got good value considering the 3rd.

McBride was clearly the BPA. He was a weapon that couldn’t be passed. There was no round 2 edge that would have been a better choice. Keim got lucky that 2 functional edges fell to him.

Very solid first 3 rounds. They all make the team and contribute.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We all hope you are right Harry. I suppose time will tell like always which of us is more correct. If Hollywood turns out to be a complete stud for us, then I will gladly eat my words.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have no problems with this draft at all, at least nothing to be too critical about from what I know about the draft picks provided we have no idea how they will turn out... and I am not one to endorse drafting totally on need early while the Hollywood trade makes a ton of sense and by some aspects brilliant (and in this day and age of the NFL, you have to be prepared to pay two WRs to have a legit chance because going to the draft well in cycles will not guarantee you anything in that crapshoot)

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As has been pointed out, apparently the terms of the deal were made ahead of time, but it didn't trigger until after the picks ahead were made. The deal was made because Keim knew DHop was to be suspended and felt he needed to bolster the receiving corps. Was it a "panic" move? I don't know but it could have been worse with Moore and AJ Green potentially the top 2 options.

The TE pick was probably necessary because of Matt's injury and him not being ready for a while. Plus, Matty Boy is not the perigone of availability. Seems like good value at the spot even at the neglect of, perhaps, more pressing needs. Time will tell.

As to the other picks, it is too early to tell if they will be good depth, eventual starters or not on the team by the end of their rookie deals. You know, just like every draft just about, well...ever.

This year seems to me to run it back with a few new faces and see what happens. If it works, great, if not, then rinse and repeat next year with more cap money to spend/waste. Keim and Kliff have long term extensions, so they probably feel pretty secure.

Too soon to cast aspersions on Keim's picks this year IMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Completely disagree. If the Cards are to make the playoffs this season they can’t throw away the first 6 games. A rookie WR would not cut it. To keep Murray confident the trade had to be made. Keim got good value considering the 3rd.

McBride was clearly the BPA. He was a weapon that couldn’t be passed. There was no round 2 edge that would have been a better choice. Keim got lucky that 2 functional edges fell to him.

Very solid first 3 rounds. They all make the team and contribute.
Completely agree.

Which edge was better at #55? I was a bit disappointed when the Cardinals got to #55 because all of the edge players who would've been good values at #55 (Mafe and Ebiketie) were gone. If I was Keim, I would've probably traded #55 and #100 to move up in the 2nd to take one of those guys, just because it was a gamble that ANYONE good would be around later.

I have to credit Keim, (watch the latest Flight Plan you'll see) for sticking to his board. While I really liked Mafe and Ebiketie, both players are projections, and neither are guys that I'm 100% sold will be good NFL pass rushers. I feel the same way about Cam Thomas and Myjai Sanders, but those guys aren't too far off how I feel about Mafe and Ebiketie and both were drafted much later.

So essentially, Keim walked away with a kid I'm pretty bullish on now (McBride) and two pass rushers who offer differing rush styles, which means you could theoretically play both at different positions.

Brown should be better playing with a QB who throws a better deep ball.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I actually think this draft may be the strongest of Keim's career. A couple of the player positions may be slightly questionable, on the surface, but I don't think there is really any doubting much ability in any of them, or competition they faced in college. Anyway, just what I see.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. The trade wasn't triggered before the draft. It was there, but wasn't triggered until after the Ravens picked at #13. By which point Wilson, Olave and Williams were gone.

2. Maxx Williams is on a one year vet min deal and have a long injury history. Good teams should be drafting for next year, not this year.
And, as much as we love Maxx, there is NO timetable for his return this season. It appears that he had a 2nd surgery on that knee, which has slowed his recovery time. So grabbing an all around TE that can both block & catch not only helped replace Maxx, but also helps with the 6 week loss of Hopkins.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Siss- It’s way too early to be all that certain.
THIS

Drafts should be evaluated 2-3 years later. Nobody has even taken a snap yet at this point. Peter King wrote some dumba$$ article about the Jets "winning" the draft or some such BS. Yeah let's see how THAT one plays out!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
it will be interesting to see how Hollywood turns out

DHop has a giant cap hit in 2023, and he will be coming off two seasons where he missed 6 games each, and he will be 31 heading into that year.

i view this as two years (maybe even 1) to see if Hollywood can be a no. 1 type WR. If so, i think he gets extended at this time next year, with Hop maybe on his way out at the same time

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol, asking for trouble for a 5’9 175-180lb dude to be a WR1 & that’s okay. I would have more faith of McBride being our best overall receiving option than that.

He was literally the Ravens WR1 just last year.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
THIS

Drafts should be evaluated 2-3 years later. Nobody has even taken a snap yet at this point. Peter King wrote some dumba$$ article about the Jets "winning" the draft or some such BS. Yeah let's see how THAT one plays out!
It’s about fun, no sense delaying. We’re all just speculating.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree to an extent with @DVontel on this point. Ideally, Hollywood is a high end #2.

But who knows, maybe McBride ends up being a 1,000 yard receiver at TE and Hollywood becomes the guy to open up the underneath routes.

Should’ve been obvious to everyone, but I guess not.

Its not obvious is it. Tyreek Hill, Dontae Johnson, Tyler Lockett, Brandon Cooks are a similar size and WR1 on their teams.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So help me out here.

It appears the Cardinals knew Hopkins was going to be suspended therefore the trade for Brown. But the trade would not have happened if one of the top 3 Wr were still available when we picked.

Am I right so far? What would we have done if Hopkins WASN’T going to be suspended?

Would we still have made the trade?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the trade for Brown especially since they also received a 3rd round pick with it. I do like the draft and am very surprised at the extreme criticism.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So help me out here.

It appears the Cardinals knew Hopkins was going to be suspended therefore the trade for Brown. But the trade would not have happened if one of the top 3 Wr were still available when we picked.

Am I right so far? What would we have done if Hopkins WASN’T going to be suspended?

Would we still have made the trade?

Kirk is gone, Green is on a 1 year cheap deal. Moore is a slot. They were going to draft or trade for a guy either way.

If one of the receivers they liked was still on the board they would have triggered the trade later or not at all if they lasted until #23. But it seems the only receivers they were interested in more than Brown were already gone by #13.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose