Starts and Ends with Chris Paul

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Don't know when it happened, but I think it took me about 1 hour to get over the Phoenix Suns finals loss last year and just appreciate the long run. What I actually can't believe is that as poorly as we've played for the most part over the last 2 games we've been right in them in the 4th quarter. If I didn't look at the score at all over the last 2 games I would have assumed we were down by 20+ the entire time.

I only watched the 3rd quarter and then turned it off early in the 4th quarter when Booker got that flagrant foul. I felt it was almost certain how it was going to wind up (it did). So, I checked the score twice on my phone and didn't turn it back on.

That was unheard of for me a whole lot of my life. My day would revolve around a playoff game and everyone else had to adjust. Today, i felt other things were more important. My family still isn't used to this. I get "Really?"when i say the game can wait. :)

Totally fine. On to game 5. Maybe the Suns win, maybe they don't. I was exactly like you with the end of last season and the end of the Cardinals season.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
uh, yeah, "it starts and ends with Chris Paul"
...our 2021 and 2022 regular seasons did
...our playoff run to the finals last year did
...our series with the Pelicans did
...our first 2 wins against the Mavs did
...our 2 losses against the Mavs did
...and our next 2 wins against the Mavs WILL

3 days ago a high profile tv analyst said Paul was the MVP of the playoffs so far, and he was right

put on your big boy pants
he's been putting his on for 2 years here
and the first time an opposing team figures out how to rattle him for a few games
a few of you have to change your pampers

aside from the other old vet, Crowder, the whole Suns team has been rattled in Dallas,
and factors have included the crowd, the refs going the crowd's way on close calls, and Doncic forcing calls with his act

if we were in Phoenix Paul would have probably gotten 2 of those calls his way and Luka may have fouled out. in any case, we've got 1 or 2 games in phx left in a tied series

anyone who can't handle the heat should take up a less stressful hobby like stamp collecting

and, btw, if it ends with Dallas or Golden State, it will end because, besides for Paul and Booker (and sometimes Ayton, and only Crowder for the last 2 games), our supporting cast has under-performed.
Bottom line….Suns need to play desperate Tuesday and play as hard as they possibly can and let it all out there. We need to win game 5.

CP3 isn’t going to be in single figures and Finney Smith isn’t scoring 24 again…however, we really need Mikal Bridges….he’s been MIA in Dallas. I get guarding Luka is hard but he can’t be shooting this bad and losing confidence. We don’t win game 5 against the Pels without him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game 3: 4 points 7 turnovers

Game 4: 5 points 6 fouls

I don’t want to hear about Ayton, Cam Johnson, Cam Payne, Booker leaving his man on defense

Chris Paul in these last two games hasn’t been bad he’s been flat out embarrassing. You want to know why we lost it’s right there.

I don’t know what’s going on with him if he’s hurt than Monty can’t keep running him out there. He’s killing us. This is why you don’t give 36 year old players 90 million dollars no matter how much you like them. He’s breaking down.

This team hasn’t looked right since they clinched the 1 seed. Honestly I just feel sad part of me hopes they win and part of me hopes they lose because they just don’t deserve it they don’t want it. You can look at all them and tell

Do you think the Suns would have been in the Finals last season or tied 2-2 in the 2nd round of the playoffs this season without Chris Paul?

And part of you hopes they lose?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do you think the Suns would have been in the Finals last season or tied 2-2 in the 2nd round of the playoffs this season without Chris Paul?

Ha! Question of the night right there, Main...

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That’s the whole point. It starts and ends with Paul we are only here because of Paul and we will only go as far as he can take us. Booker and Ayton can’t carry us. Paul can. He’s the most important player on this team

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only watched the 3rd quarter and then turned it off early in the 4th quarter when Booker got that flagrant foul. I felt it was almost certain how it was going to wind up (it did). So, I checked the score twice on my phone and didn't turn it back on.

That was unheard of for me a whole lot of my life. My day would revolve around a playoff game and everyone else had to adjust. Today, i felt other things were more important. My family still isn't used to this. I get "Really?"when i say the game can wait. :)

Totally fine. On to game 5. Maybe the Suns win, maybe they don't. I was exactly like you with the end of last season and the end of the Cardinals season.
I feel like the pandemic kinda changed a lot of my priorities with all this stuff. Life is too short to make that big of a deal of sports losses. Celebrate Ws to whatever level feels great, but there’s just so many more important things that actually matter to get too bummed out about than sports.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the whole point. It starts and ends with Paul we are only here because of Paul and we will only go as far as he can take us. Booker and Ayton can’t carry us. Paul can. He’s the most important player on this team

At least acknowledge what Chris Paul has done in the two seasons he has been here.

The part below makes it sound like a mistake:

"This is why you don’t give 36 year old players 90 million dollars no matter how much you like them. He’s breaking down."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So now I’m not paying attention?

Sure, coming from the guy that thinks DA isn’t doing anything wrong. Ok.
Yeah I can’t understand the aytin defense. He’s supposed to destroy this team and he’s mediocre and on defense he’s flat out disappointing. They’ve gobert’ed him thus far.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At least acknowledge what Chris Paul has done in the two seasons he has been here.

The part below makes it sound like a mistake:

"This is why you don’t give 36 year old players 90 million dollars no matter how much you like them. He’s breaking down."

Oh I 100% think it will be a mistake and I said so at the time. You never pay a player for what they’ve done you pay them for what they will do.

I don’t think there is a person here who wouldn’t view a second round or western conference finals exit as a failure especially after this regular season.

I think he’s hurt honestly

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agreed. Don't know when it happened, but I think it took me about 1 hour to get over the Phoenix Suns finals loss last year and just appreciate the long run. What I actually can't believe is that as poorly as we've played for the most part over the last 2 games we've been right in them in the 4th quarter. If I didn't look at the score at all over the last 2 games I would have assumed we were down by 20+ the entire time.
Agreed. They just need two players to reignite and they’ll win. The problem is it’s only book and now crowder that are playing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I used to watch the Suns (and the NBA in general) up until a decade or so ago. It's not just the Suns, the NBA is almost unwatchable to me. Today I watched the Suns for the first time in I can't remember when. Yeah, it was my fault, sorry about that, it won't happen again :)

How did this team have the best record in the league?
What you watched today wasn’t what they ran out there for 72 of the regular season games.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a team just turn it off like they did.
Agreed. I can’t ever recall a team so dominant in the regular season that cratered to such an extent. And Paul is the best example of that. His play today was flat out alarming.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bottom line….Suns need to play desperate Tuesday and play as hard as they possibly can and let it all out there. We need to win game 5.

CP3 isn’t going to be in single figures and Finney Smith isn’t scoring 24 again…however, we really need Mikal Bridges….he’s been MIA in Dallas. I get guarding Luka is hard but he can’t be shooting this bad and losing confidence. We don’t win game 5 against the Pels without him.
Yeah bridges has both disappeared defensively and offensively.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I 100% think it will be a mistake and I said so at the time. You never pay a player for what they’ve done you pay them for what they will do.

I don’t think there is a person here who wouldn’t view a second round or western conference finals exit as a failure especially after this regular season.

I think he’s hurt honestly

So you would have let Chris Paul walk after going to the Finals last season?

He could have opted out and gone elsewhere. Many thought he could have earned more.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's freaking Ayton. He's improved his offense but we would be unstoppable with a legit offensive center. All these teams can be beaten with our team and an offensive minded center. If it's me I'm trading him for KAT.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I can’t ever recall a team so dominant in the regular season that cratered to such an extent. And Paul is the best example of that. His play today was flat out alarming.
Yup. He’s either Point God or Point God Awful.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bridges and Ayton have both sucked this entire series. At least Paul has been incredible twice next to his 2 awful games. Ayton and Bridges have been AWOL.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you would have let Chris Paul walk after going to the Finals last season?

He could have opted out and gone elsewhere. Many thought he could have earned more.

I’m on record saying I was against the signing when it happened. So yes I would of let him walk. You just can’t give guys that age 90 million dollars.

This was my fear. Your seeing him play 1 good game 1 bad game and these two games have not only been bad but historically bad by Paul standards. He broke down last year he was horrible in the finals and he looks like he’s breaking down again. We should of load managed him in the regular season

I hope to god he bounces back but you can’t deny he’s never been this bad in his entire career.

OP
OP
F

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bridges and Ayton have both sucked this entire series. At least Paul has been incredible twice next to his 2 awful games. Ayton and Bridges have been AWOL.

Ayton carried us in game 1 and I thought Bridges was good in our first 2 games but since then nothing

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m on record saying I was against the signing when it happened. So yes I would of let him walk. You just can’t give guys that age 90 million dollars.

This was my fear. Your seeing him play 1 good game 1 bad game and these two games have not only been bad but historically bad by Paul standards. He broke down last year he was horrible in the finals and he looks like he’s breaking down again. We should of load managed him in the regular season

I hope to god he bounces back but you can’t deny he’s never been this bad in his entire career.
Load management is key so the is a COACHING issue as we could have rested him much more all season and in any game if we actually used our bench and back up PGs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton carried us in game 1 and I thought Bridges was good in our first 2 games but since then nothing
Those guys showing zero fire the last two games had been supremely disappointing.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Game 3: 4 points 7 turnovers

Game 4: 5 points 6 fouls

I don’t want to hear about Ayton, Cam Johnson, Cam Payne, Booker leaving his man on defense

Chris Paul in these last two games hasn’t been bad he’s been flat out embarrassing. You want to know why we lost it’s right there.

I don’t know what’s going on with him if he’s hurt than Monty can’t keep running him out there. He’s killing us. This is why you don’t give 36 year old players 90 million dollars no matter how much you like them. He’s breaking down.

This team hasn’t looked right since they clinched the 1 seed. Honestly I just feel sad part of me hopes they win and part of me hopes they lose because they just don’t deserve it they don’t want it. You can look at all them and tell
This kind of crap from Paul was to be expected, he's old and the Suns are constructed to handle Paul's poor performances. The problem is that Payne seems to have not recovered from his injury and he sucks. If he could play up to his average level from the season the Suns would be in good shape.