Suns @ Mavericks Sunday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-8-2022 - Game 4

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This team just stinks. It's really all mental. It's like they dont want it or just dont care of losing.

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
when a play was reviewed two games ago to check a foul before the clock, the refs judged it by when the ref raised his hand. Penalized the suns. Then today it is when the fould occurred not when the hand was raised. Penalized the suns.

Still a dumb move by Monty and Paul though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Paul plays the Suns play especially with Payne being almost non-existant.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Monty making all the wrong moves.
I'm starting to believe the best part of the coaching braintrust ended up in New Orleans. Monty is a good "team spirit" guy, but strategy is not his forte.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s pretty simple they shooting lights out from 3 and the refs calling anything they can to help them as well. Multiple 3 second violations come on when have you e we seen that? Luka falling all over the place and refs rewarding him with bs fouls? Booker is on the ground half the time with lots of contact and not getting calls? Yeah looks real legit NBA… hot garbage!

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Paul turns 37 and hits the walk literally. Entire team looks slow and lost
IMO..we were lucky to squeeze the juice we did last year. This team just plays different...and not in a good way. Monty not digging deep into bench also doesn't help. Never underestimate fresh legs....and thats all he is doing because he's a scared coach.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With what we’ve seen for the majority of the last two months, I have very little faith this team can beat GS.
We have no shot at beating GSW the way we are playing. We may not get out of this round. Monty‘s job as coach is to put the team in the best position to win. We kept playing the switch, he has not been able to counter Kidd’s changes on defense and he put Paul out there because he doesn’t trust the guy he keeps playing (Payne).

I just don’t get it.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have no shot at beating GSW the way we are playing. We may not get out of this round. Monty‘s job as coach is to put the team in the best position to win. We kept playing the switch, he has not been able to counter Kidd’s changes on defense and he put Paul out there because he doesn’t trust the guy he keeps playing (Payne).

I just don’t get it.
Some teams are just good to great regular season teams...and not so much playoff teams. We don't feel, at this moment, built for a sustainable playoff run. Last year.... different animal.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line Paul has not played well the past two games.

Those seven turnovers in game 3 may have had an effect on him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty simple they shooting lights out from 3 and the refs calling anything they can to help them as well. Multiple 3 second violations come on when have you e we seen that? Luka falling all over the place and refs rewarding him with bs fouls? Booker is on the ground half the time with lots of contact and not getting calls? Yeah looks real legit NBA… hot garbage!
You sound just as ridiculous as Russ and Loyalty.

Our defense is atrocious and our biggest advantage with size is playing like a total wuss. And Booker for as great as he’s been offensively has been downright offensive on D

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luka and a bunch of bench players, just rolling us.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JaVale McGee 5 and Cam Johnson 3 is the Suns only scoring off bench.

The Mavs bench produced 29 points.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line Paul has not played well the past two games.

Those seven turnovers in game 3 may have had an effect on him.
Yup. Our second best player has been garbage. I mean… everyone but Crowder and half of Booker have been terrible.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Play Luka straight up. Stop helping. Let everybody else stand around and watch

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So Payne has been invisible this game vs the last game where he was a detriment. I don’t really understand why Monty thinks that is ok.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
In defense of the Suns player, when the referees are ganging you, consciously or subconsciously you start to A) play much worse because you're pressing, feeling like you have to play perfectly, and B) play lazier because your body resists expending extra energy just to see the refs bail out the other team.

Believe me, basketball refs are well aware of the psychological impact they have on the flow of the game and use it to their advantage when they want to tip the game one way or the other for whatever reason. You could even see it at play in Game 2 of this series when the refs called everything in Dallas' favor throughout the first 80% of the game and then just stopped bothering once the Suns caught fire down the stretch. They realized it wasn't going to tilt the game at that point, so all the ticky tack calls they were making suddenly stopped.

Anyone who really believes NBA refs aren't trying to deliberately alter the flow and outcome of games (for any number of possible reasons) is a pathetic fool.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JaVale McGee 5 and Cam Johnson 3 is the Suns only scoring off bench.

The Mavs bench produced 29 points.
It sucks… I had supreme confidence every time Cam had the ball before his injury.

I literally now have none.