What's your Main Area of Concern re: Cards and '22 Season

What is your Main Area of Concern Regarding the '22 Cards?

• Run D

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • Pass Rush

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • DB Play

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • QB Play

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Run Game

• Passing Game

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • OL

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Coaching

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • Front Office Moves

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Fan Support

• Stadium Security

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Costs to Attend Games

• Any Other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's an exercise in futility to pinpoint what specifically led to our downfall last season. There were multiple reasons, and it included offense, defense & special teams. It wasn't just losing Hop, because we lost Moore too. Our offense was great when Hudson was healthy. Once he cracked multiple ribs, he missed games, and was never even at 70% when he returned. The IOL was abused the entire 2nd half of the season & teams came up the gut, took away Murray's angles, and their Ends played contain. I've watched every game 2-3 times front to back & back to front. I've watched plays in slow motion, etc. I'm not certain exactly what receivers you saw wide open, but once Hop & Moore went down, teams pressed our WR's at the LOS, and Kirk & AJ struggled getting off the ball. Until we improve the IOL, I don't care if we have a 6'6 QB or a 5'11 QB, stepping up in the pocket won't always be the answer. Does Murray need to improve in that area? Absolutely. And he already has. I won't bore everyone with details, but the DL has to improve, we need more bodies in the secondary, and the play calling has to improve also. When teams lose 5 of 6 games, the cause is never of a singular nature. We got our butts kicked in 2 of those games (Detroit & LAR playoff). Otherwise, we easily could have won 13-14 games. We beat the Colts if Prater doesn't miss 2 FG's & an extra point. Or if we don't fail on 3rd & 1's & 4th & 1's. Or if our DC doesn't rush 3 when the opponent is missing like 4 OL starters. We had 450 yards of offense in the 30-23 loss to the Rams in AZ, but outside of Murray, we only ran the ball for 40 yds at 2.4 ypc & couldn't get the short yardage 1st downs needed at critical junctures. We played well against the Cowboys, but let's face it, the Cowboys were an overrated team all year. And by the time we played Seattle in the finale & the Rams in the playoffs, both our DL & Secondary were an injured mess & we couldn't stop anyone, either on the ground or in the air. Multiple reasons why we finished the way we did. Impossible to blame any one group, whether it was a coach, the FO, or a player. Total team failure.
All of these factors are true, and it's the reason for the end of the season. Lots of injuries to key players, and Kliff even admits he should have done more to adjust.

But it doesn't absolve Murray from his own difficulties. He struggled compared to earlier in the year and we can key in on specific games and specific instances where Murray could have played much better.

He is young, and relatively inexperienced for his career arc, so I think betting on him is a pretty sound bet. He has gotten better every season so you know he is working on his game. But he needs to take another step forward.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's an exercise in futility to pinpoint what specifically led to our downfall last season. There were multiple reasons, and it included offense, defense & special teams. It wasn't just losing Hop, because we lost Moore too. Our offense was great when Hudson was healthy. Once he cracked multiple ribs, he missed games, and was never even at 70% when he returned. The IOL was abused the entire 2nd half of the season & teams came up the gut, took away Murray's angles, and their Ends played contain. I've watched every game 2-3 times front to back & back to front. I've watched plays in slow motion, etc. I'm not certain exactly what receivers you saw wide open, but once Hop & Moore went down, teams pressed our WR's at the LOS, and Kirk & AJ struggled getting off the ball. Until we improve the IOL, I don't care if we have a 6'6 QB or a 5'11 QB, stepping up in the pocket won't always be the answer. Does Murray need to improve in that area? Absolutely. And he already has. I won't bore everyone with details, but the DL has to improve, we need more bodies in the secondary, and the play calling has to improve also. When teams lose 5 of 6 games, the cause is never of a singular nature. We got our butts kicked in 2 of those games (Detroit & LAR playoff). Otherwise, we easily could have won 13-14 games. We beat the Colts if Prater doesn't miss 2 FG's & an extra point. Or if we don't fail on 3rd & 1's & 4th & 1's. Or if our DC doesn't rush 3 when the opponent is missing like 4 OL starters. We had 450 yards of offense in the 30-23 loss to the Rams in AZ, but outside of Murray, we only ran the ball for 40 yds at 2.4 ypc & couldn't get the short yardage 1st downs needed at critical junctures. We played well against the Cowboys, but let's face it, the Cowboys were an overrated team all year. And by the time we played Seattle in the finale & the Rams in the playoffs, both our DL & Secondary were an injured mess & we couldn't stop anyone, either on the ground or in the air. Multiple reasons why we finished the way we did. Impossible to blame any one group, whether it was a coach, the FO, or a player. Total team failure.
I agree with a lot your stated but I saw open guys numerous times and so did people on the game threads, yet he would hold the ball as if not sure of himself and to the point that people were questioning his height to see them. I came to the conclusion that he simply was blanking out (maybe because he had not studied or listened well enough to the adjustments) because he was not processing the routes fast enough and freaking out under pressure. This is not college ball, or mainly the Big XII, where a wide open guy has five yards on the defender and you can zip it late with success. Kyler has the goods to be very successful but he was not operating our offense very well or what Kingsbury seemed to be wanting. Kyler would hold the ball, run around after the hot reads where done and got sacked in the process being reluctant to even really run. Then throwing deep on third and 5 or less happened many times. Yes, at times he saw a legit opportunity but dang son, take the easy completions and he was not which was baffling to watch

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All of these factors are true, and it's the reason for the end of the season. Lots of injuries to key players, and Kliff even admits he should have done more to adjust.

But it doesn't absolve Murray from his own difficulties. He struggled compared to earlier in the year and we can key in on specific games and specific instances where Murray could have played much better.

He is young, and relatively inexperienced for his career arc, so I think betting on him is a pretty sound bet. He has gotten better every season so you know he is working on his game. But he needs to take another step forward.
He struggled compared to earlier in the year, because earlier in the year he had a healthy Hudson, a healthy Hopkins, a healthy Moore, and a much healthier D that consistently gave him shorter fields to work with. Not only was our DL & Secondary devastated with injuries, but they didn't create ANY short fields in the last month of the season. BTW, EVERY QB in the NFL needs to take another step forward. Rodgers looked like dog crap against the Niners & not only did Mahomes play horribly in the SB two years ago, but he was awful last year against the Bengals also. There's not a QB in the NFL that would have fared any better with what Murray was left with in the latter stages of last season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
running back a less talented version of last year's team, with the only upgrade being a slight one from Kirk to Hollywood and downgrades in the OLB, RB room and virtually zero defensive line to speak of the second JJ Watt gets hurt for the remainder of the season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with a lot your stated but I saw open guys numerous times and so did people on the game threads, yet he would hold the ball as if not sure of himself and to the point that people were questioning his height to see them. I came to the conclusion that he simply was blanking out (maybe because he had not studied or listened well enough to the adjustments) because he was not processing the routes fast enough and freaking out under pressure. This is not college ball, or mainly the Big XII, where a wide open guy has five yards on the defender and you can zip it late with success. Kyler has the goods to be very successful but he was not operating our offense very well or what Kingsbury seemed to be wanting. Kyler would hold the ball, run around after the hot reads where done and got sacked in the process being reluctant to even really run. Then throwing deep on third and 5 or less happened many times. Yes, at times he saw a legit opportunity but dang son, take the easy completions and he was not which was baffling to watch
We'll have to agree to disagree about what you think you saw in regards to open receivers in the last month of last season. Even if a receiver appeared momentarily open, the jailbreak up the middle of our pathetic IOL, made it difficult to get them the ball. Does his height have an effect? It probably does. But, you're not going to find 6'5" QB's that offer the same instincts and leg skills that Murray does. You have to give up something to get something. People on the game threads have not rewatched game film like I have. They speak out mostly on emotions of us getting our butts kicked. And without a doubt, teams pressed Kirk & AJ, and left only Ertz as a viable option when our IOL was getting embarrassed. Can Murray continue to improve. Of course he can. So can Rodgers, who looked like crap against the Niners & Mahomes, who played horribly in the TB SB & last year against the Bengals. Murray is a 24 year old, extremely talented kid that we are BLESSED to have.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great summation of what occurred.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
running back a less talented version of last year's team, with the only upgrade being a slight one from Kirk to Hollywood and downgrades in the OLB, RB room and virtually zero defensive line to speak of the second JJ Watt gets hurt for the remainder of the season.
Prior to DHops suspension, I would say if I don't know how much this is true.

I'm really intrigued by Ingram stepping into the RB...and overall RB talent doesn't really matter much.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think we should all try to meet in the middle honestly...that's where the truth lies.
I agree. Problem is, certain homers have created names to specifically (try to) deride anyone who has ever offered criticism of his dear beloved man crush. I mean, we can like KM and his skills but be upset with his lack of maturity and anxious to see if he will develop. We can be bullish on him even as we wonder. Meeting in the middle isn't some crazy idea.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior to DHops suspension, I would say if I don't know how much this is true.

I'm really intrigued by Ingram stepping into the RB...and overall RB talent doesn't really matter much.
But D-Hops suspension did happen. And now we don’t know if not taking PEDs will have an effect on his game.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree. Problem is, certain homers have created names to specifically (try to) deride anyone who has ever offered criticism of his dear beloved man crush. I mean, we can like KM and his skills but be upset with his lack of maturity and anxious to see if he will develop. We can be bullish on him even as we wonder. Meeting in the middle isn't some crazy idea.
I don’t agree w that.. the IHKC hates facts and are the most opinion based folks on this board.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Until Kliff learns how to make adjustments to teams and getting a stronger finish, he’ll be the biggest concern.

There is a reason Kliff is a .500 coach going back to his college days. His lack of adjustments in second half of season. Once teams figure out how to stop his game plan he is cooked, he just gets caught unprepared. The only guy that could fix a busted HC is Peyton Manning but he ain't walking through that door folks.
Lions game was begging us to rush for 200 yards and we just wouldn't take it. Even if Kyler was bad that was clearly a run the ball a lot and then play action kind of day. They just got gashed by the Broncos. It was the one team we were capable of actually having a great running game with (Hudson is a better pass blocker than run blocker anyway)

The biggest failure the more I think about it was treating the Seahawks game like a preseason game. Set a bad example, killed the momentum from the Cowboys game and had the unfortunate luck of running into a pissed-off Rams team that got to see our offense for a 3rd time. Doesn't help when Kliff tells the Rams "Kyler is going to have his best game ever" false bravado. Terrible judgment there.
Great post.

Last edited:

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I don’t agree w that.. the IHKC hates facts and are the most opinion based folks on this board.
IHKC? You really think there's any fan on here that actually hates the man? You can not like what he does, how he plays or how he acts but hate is a very strong word that you're throwing around rather loosely, makes you sound very bitter an angry

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IHKC? You really think there's any fan on here that actually hates the man? You can not like what he does, how he plays or how he acts but hate is a very strong word that you're throwing around rather loosely, makes you sound very bitter an angry
Nope not bitter at all, the contingency pure negativity about Kyler is ridiculous. Comes from a very small contingency that loves to scream the loudest no matter how facts are put out there, no matter how many admissions or agreements to Kyler’s faults or areas needed for improvements. That’s what is obnoxious, but because they are the loudest on this board then they cheer each other on and bash the other reasonable with for the most part no substantive facts or statistics.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But D-Hops suspension did happen. And now we don’t know if not taking PEDs will have an effect on his game.
It's reasonable to consider the concept that he was using roids to recover. He's not exactly a jacked type.

I was listening to AJ Hawk on Pat McAfees show, and they both agreed PEDs aren't as big as we (me included) think they are. They were saying there were the obvious guys, but most players aren't, and especially the younger guys.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's reasonable to consider the concept that he was using roids to recover. He's not exactly a jacked type.

I was listening to AJ Hawk on Pat McAfees show, and they both agreed PEDs aren't as big as we (me included) think they are. They were saying there were the obvious guys, but most players aren't, and especially the younger guys.
Saw the clip too. They made some interesting points.

1. Hopkins may really not known if he was taking a banned substance because of lack of FDA regulations companies can lie about contents in supplements or choose not to disclose that information and players inadvertently are taking illegal substances.

2. With the astronomical rise in salaries, players may feel its worth the risk to take banned substances if it helps them secure large contracts and deal with the consequences as they come.

To me, its just bad optics that the failed test was from November and no one got in front of it so it looks like it was being covered up. Question now is will Keim look to add another WR in a trade like N'Keal Harry or someone else or is he content with Green, Brown, Ertz & McBride?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you guys just go back and copy paste what you posted when Peterson got busted for PEDs? Because it sounds like a lot of the the same responses.

Maybe Peterson was trying to “recover from his diabetes”… “maybe he didn’t know what he was putting in his body”.. “Peterson isn’t exactly jacked”. Just the same kind of excuses.

Now saying that doesn’t mean I think Hop will be exactly the same as Peterson who then fell off a damn cliff without his PEDs, but he is getting older, coming off injury and just penciling him in as one of the league’s best when he finally gets back seems premature to me. Once these guys get busted on this stuff, I’m always in wait and see mode on if they ever get back to their level of play before.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Save your energy and time ; it's not worth it. I haven't seen anything vitriolic against KM in a long time, and yet some posters are still rabidly set in naming anyone who has ever been passionate about KM's problems as the "I Hate Kyler Murray" club. That's what the juvenile abbreviation means. There's no need for name calling, and hasn't even been an argument about KM in a long time...and yet we see what we are seeing on this thread.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Why would it?

Peterson took PED's because he had declined massively. He didn't decline massively because of the PED's.

Lot's of players have had PED suspensions and practically all of them come back as they were before.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw the clip too. They made some interesting points.

1. Hopkins may really not known if he was taking a banned substance because of lack of FDA regulations companies can lie about contents in supplements or choose not to disclose that information and players inadvertently are taking illegal substances.

2. With the astronomical rise in salaries, players may feel its worth the risk to take banned substances if it helps them secure large contracts and deal with the consequences as they come.

To me, its just bad optics that the failed test was from November and no one got in front of it so it looks like it was being covered up. Question now is will Keim look to add another WR in a trade like N'Keal Harry or someone else or is he content with Green, Brown, Ertz & McBride?

Well it was a November test. By the time it was processed and reported I'm guessing it was mid December at least until the FO knew.

There is a reason it didn't come out until after FA and the draft. They kept it hidden so that it wouldn't effect FA moves, trades or the draft.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose