Our receiving options without Hopkins

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are in trouble at WR to open the season. Trying to minimize it, analyze it away, explain it away, doesn't change that. Can we overcome this trouble? A dispassionate analysis says we can, if a lot of things go right, and our coach can do his job properly. Looking at what we're hoping for--an aging AJ Green to be the #2, hoping Rondale Moore can be the #3, hoping we get significant help from a rookie 2nd-round TE, hoping, hoping, hoping, paints a bleak picture.

It is what it is, a crappy situation we aren't prepared for. Will the intervening months mitigate the situation? Only the shadow knows.
Agree.. also Oline. If we are getting the same pressure on Kyler down the stretch in the interior we know history says Kyler can’t handle it.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
What a weird comparison to make considering that all these units play their opposing defensive counterparts and not each other.

Seahawks=tanking trash
San Fran=run game and play action gods
St Louis = reigning champs and Kliff’s personal daddy

The Horizontal Raid is alive and well until proven otherwise.

Ummm...St. Louis?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Obviously it's never good to lose a star player, but as I said in the Nuk thread we still have a lot of options.

So I wanted to see how we stack up through those 1st 6 games vs the rest of the division.

Cardinals

WR1 - Hollywood Brown
WR2- AJ Green
WR3 - Rondale Moore
TE1 - Zach Ertz
TE2 - Maxx Williams
Receiving back - James Conner

Rams

WR1 - Cooper Kupp
WR2- Allen Robinson
WR3 - Van Jefferson
TE1 - Tyler Higbee
TE2 - Kendall Blanton
Receiving back - Kyren Williams?

Seahawks

WR1 - Tyler Lockett
WR2- DK Metcalf
WR3 - Freddie Swain
TE1 - Noah Fant
TE2 - Will Dissley
Receiving back - Kenneth Walker

Niners

WR1 - Deebo
WR2- Brandon Aiyuk
WR3 - Jauan Jennings
TE1 - George Kittle
TE2 - Ross Dwelley
Receiving back - JaMycal Hasty

It's clear that all 3 teams have a higher peak than we will have. Lockett, Deebo and Kupp are all currently better than Brown. I think Brown can be much better in our system with Kyler but it's unrealistic to think he's going to be Kupp or Deebo.

AJ Green isn't cooked. You don't get 850 yards and finish WR32 despite being 3rd in target share if you are cooked. He did have more yards than Aiyuk last year though. He's still a good player but he isn't what he was and the Seahawks and Rams beat us here also.

But after that I think we are the best of the bunch. The others don't have much at WR3 outside Van Jefferson but I think Moore can make a similar leap in year 2 as Van did. Our overall TE groups are better and Conner as a receiver is the best of the bunch.

As long as we spread the ball around as we usually do we should be fine.

And when Nuk is back I think we have the best overall receiving options in the division.
Van Jefferson isn't really that good of a player, and he was older coming out so he has less growth. Rams fans are already starting to feel he is a meh player and is highly replaceable.

Robinson was a risky add by the Rams and relying him could undo their passing offense to a degree.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maxx Williams likely wont be playing in the first 6 games, let alone occupying the #2 TE spot.

Also, who wants to make a wager on the Brown vs Deebo starlike for the season. I think Brown will def beat him in yards and will only be beaten in total TD’s if SF has Deebo running the ball in the red zone.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I could care less who we have at receiver. It's time for Kyler and Kliff to prove their worth.
Transcendent QB's like Brady & Rogers have made due with mediocre receiving options at different times of their careers. Or they have made stars of the guys nobody knew about. Guys like Welker, Edelman were castoffs prior to going to NE. Same can be said for GB. I don't think they have ever invested in round 1 WR during Rogers tenure. All were 2nd/3rd rounder's (Adams, Cobb, Jordy, Jennings, etc...).
If Kyler wants to be paid like the top QB in the league, then he better produce no matter who is catching the ball. I will bet Mahommes and Reid will be just fine without Tyreek and company from last year.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Van Jefferson isn't really that good of a player, and he was older coming out so he has less growth. Rams fans are already starting to feel he is a meh player and is highly replaceable.

Robinson was a risky add by the Rams and relying him could undo their passing offense to a degree.

Van had 800 yards last year. He's not bad.

I don't get the Woods for Robinson switch. I think Woods is better in the scheme (unless he wanted out. He wasn't happy last year).

I don't think the Rams are as good as last year.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a weird comparison to make considering that all these units play their opposing defensive counterparts and not each other.

Seahawks=tanking trash
San Fran=run game and play action gods
St Louis = reigning champs and Kliff’s personal daddy

The Horizontal Raid is alive and well until proven otherwise.
Los Angeles

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Van had 800 yards last year. He's not bad.

I don't get the Woods for Robinson switch. I think Woods is better in the scheme (unless he wanted out. He wasn't happy last year).

I don't think the Rams are as good as last year.
On 50 catches. It's nice playing 2nd fiddle to a superstar in Kupp, he got a ton less coverage.

It's funny because I think the Rams will be good most years with McVay as coach but I doubt they have many Super Bowl chances.

Once Donald slows down, people are going to quickly realize that most of that defense is filled with only okay players.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OBJ will be 7 months removed from knee surgery in kick off weekend for a 6-9 month recovery. Could be the cheapest option, even if we had to ease him back. I'd check in on him at the start of training camp.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OBJ will be 7 months removed from knee surgery in kick off weekend for a 6-9 month recovery. Could be the cheapest option, even if we had to ease him back. I'd check in on him at the start of training camp.

Julio seems like the obvious answer if he's willing to sign for the 4m that Nuk is losing and except his body can only handle being part of a rotation now.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Julio seems like the obvious answer if he's willing to sign for the 4m that Nuk is losing and except his body can only handle being part of a rotation now.
Julio is my first choice as well. I assume he ends up in a more WR needy city. I could see him going to TB for a ring too. We'll probably bring in AB!

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any wr trade options? With nuk out heard suggested on 910 am tod

I know have brown but still tad weak at wr till nuk ret.... dangit hop

Really prayin mcbride shows somethin

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: MAXX, I’m continually amazed how so many people keep penciling in players who are constantly injured as anything the team can depend on. Especially a constantly injured player who’s coming back from major injury.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We are in trouble at WR to open the season. Trying to minimize it, analyze it away, explain it away, doesn't change that. Can we overcome this trouble? A dispassionate analysis says we can, if a lot of things go right, and our coach can do his job properly. Looking at what we're hoping for--an aging AJ Green to be the #2, hoping Rondale Moore can be the #3, hoping we get significant help from a rookie 2nd-round TE, hoping, hoping, hoping, paints a bleak picture.

It is what it is, a crappy situation we aren't prepared for. Will the intervening months mitigate the situation? Only the shadow knows.
No we ain't

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He is hardly similar to Nuk at this stage. He was lousy last year.
I dont think Julio signs up for 6 games.

It should be noted his PFF was 74.2. Higher than Kirk and AJ. He just has to not get hurt.

Julio isn't who he use to be, but I think we're being overall critical of his game. He had to make a major shift from the Falcons offense to the Titans offense. He had a 86 PFF with a more dynamic passing game.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont think Julio signs up for 6 games.

It should be noted his PFF was 74.2. Higher than Kirk and AJ. He just has to not get hurt.

Julio isn't who he use to be, but I think we're being overall critical of his game. He had to make a major shift from the Falcons offense to the Titans offense. He had a 86 PFF with a more dynamic passing game.
I did watch some Titans games last year and wasn’t impressed at all. Yes he did get hurt but Titans didn’t want him back and he is still out there now.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Without Hop, we are average or maybe even a little above average if you take into account our TEs and how well Conner catches out of the backfield. Point, I'm a big fan of Kyler but he has no excuses with D-hop out

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave