What City Are You In?

What City Do You Live In?

• Total voters

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to grade school in Phx in the late 1950's. We lived on 48th st and McDowell. It was the sticks. I think Thomas was still a gravel road out there. I delivered the Phoenix gazette on my bike in the broiling sun. Bill Johnson's on Van Buren deep dish apple pie cost a quarter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You like it there? All I hear is negative stuff about the place. Homelessness. Drugs. Crime. High rents etc etc
It's expensive. Traffic is horrible. The entire metro area probably has more homeless than any other place on the planet.

But the weather is amazing. And being close to the Pacific is awesome. Finally, there is probably more to do in LA than anywhere else. You can literally ski and surf on the same day.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never lived in Phoenix. Only out-of-staters generalize the entire metro area into one huge conglomerate. I live in Mesa or the East Valley, but never Phoenix. :)
When people ask me where I’m from I always say Phoenix… When I say Mesa people just look at me cross eyed mostly…

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's expensive. Traffic is horrible. The entire metro area probably has more homeless than any other place on the planet.

But the weather is amazing. And being close to the Pacific is awesome. Finally, there is probably more to do in LA than anywhere else. You can literally ski and surf on the same day.
Surfing is overrated… As are California beaches… They’re good for a quick fix but overall to murky to dark and to Cold :)

That being said I might go there this weekend lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Only those that live in the Phoenix metro area break it down. No one else does. For all intents and purposes to anyone not in metro Phoenix area, mesa is Phoenix.

Just like all the greater metro regions of NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, etc etc
Yeah it's not like LA where there are distinct differences in areas. Granted if your from the San Fernando and you're talking about where you live to a non-Angeleno, you'll say LA.

Orange County is a part of LA metro, but people say they are from the OC.

Heh I guess that is similar to Phoenix actually...but the differences in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, etc are small.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am from Van Nuys, CA, and grew up in Reseda, CA. They are not the suburbs of Los Angeles, CA. They were annexed into the city and are technically neighborhoods within the city of Los Angeles. Much different than Mesa, AZ, and Phoenix, AZ which are their own individual larger cities. Mesa is one of many nearby suburbs of Phoenix but it is not the same as places where other cities are within another city. My friend lives in White Bear Lake, MN. I can send him mail to his address in White Bear Lake, MN, or in St. Paul, MN and it will get to him. If he sent mail to my address and labeled it Phoenix, AZ - I am not getting it and it would be returned to sender.

As for Paradise Valley, there are technically two. There is a small town (only 15.5 square miles, population of under 13,000) surrounded by Phoenix and Scottsdale and there is a village entirely within the city of Phoenix. From Wikipedia: The town of Paradise Valley is not to be confused with Paradise Valley Village, an official municipal designation, in northeast Phoenix. For instance, Paradise Valley Community College, Paradise Valley High School, Paradise Valley Hospital, Paradise Valley Mall, and Paradise Valley Golf Course are all several miles north of the town, in Phoenix. The Paradise Valley Unified School District does not serve the town; its boundaries end a few miles north of the border. Residents attend schools in the Scottsdale Unified School District.
I will forever from now on say I am from bird city

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Surfing is overrated… As are California beaches… They’re good for a quick fix but overall to murky to dark and to Cold :)

Oh my family we always go back east to NC to actually go to the beach. Water is way warmer and less pollution.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am from Van Nuys, CA, and grew up in Reseda, CA. They are not the suburbs of Los Angeles, CA. They were annexed into the city and are technically neighborhoods within the city of Los Angeles.
I hear Van Nuys is very nice!

Saw these folks live when they performed on El Telemundo!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I technically live in "Henderson," which is probably bigger than actual "Las Vegas," but in reality, I may as well say Vegas. No one is going to get what I mean when I say Henderson, and will probably assume I live somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nevada if I say it. That's the same as when I went to ASU... I wouldn't say "Tempe" unless I was certain someone knew Phoenix.

Y'know, part of the challenge to this is that I'm in Marketing, and things are commonly referenced by DMA. 95% of the time if a client wants to target "LA" or "Phoenix," they mean the DMA, not the specific city. Now, the DMA is a little more extended out than even I think it should be (the Mojave desert doesn't entirely make sense outside of maybe say, Victorville), but yeah. Pic of the DMA example below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

I did a Google Street View of Skid Row and seriously can’t believe people live like that. Tents everywhere on the sidewalks, people sleeping in garbage. Really sad.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score

plus all the sharks….

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I technically live in "Henderson," which is probably bigger than actual "Las Vegas," but in reality, I may as well say Vegas. No one is going to get what I mean when I say Henderson, and will probably assume I live somewhere in the middle of nowhere Nevada if I say it. That's the same as when I went to ASU... I wouldn't say "Tempe" unless I was certain someone knew Phoenix.

Y'know, part of the challenge to this is that I'm in Marketing, and things are commonly referenced by DMA. 95% of the time if a client wants to target "LA" or "Phoenix," they mean the DMA, not the specific city. Now, the DMA is a little more extended out than even I think it should be (the Mojave desert doesn't entirely make sense outside of maybe say, Victorville), but yeah. Pic of the DMA example below.

You must be registered for see images attach
Also Henderson and also just say Vegas

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I will forever from now on say I am from bird city
are there even that many birds in Phoenix? I would think with 110 degree weather there would be fireballs of feathers plummeting from the sky.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I did a Google Street View of Skid Row and seriously can’t believe people live like that. Tents everywhere on the sidewalks, people sleeping in garbage. Really sad.
Try driving around it. Some of my fellow recruiters decided to take me down there one day. It's insane. Thousands of human beings society has basically rejected and thrown away. Human filth and squalor everywhere.

The vast majority should be in mental institutions, but there just isn't room for them.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh my family we always go back east to NC to actually go to the beach. Water is way warmer and less pollution.
Different strokes. I love California beaches for the weather and atmosphere.

My wife made us go to the OBX last year. I hated it so bad I made up some excuse why I needed to fly back home. Humidity, and all the flying confederate flags were something to get used to. My breaking point was that everything closed by 8 pm.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA