What City Are You In?

What City Do You Live In?

• Total voters

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Cardinals fan and technically don't live in any city, township, etc.

However, this whole area is Phoenix.

Even the more disconnected and actually unique areas like Cave Creek are Phoenix.

Not to mention Glendale, Mesa, Peoria, etc - it's all Phoenix

Even want to be fancy places like Scottsdale - also Phoenix

No one outside of this area cares which section of sprawling tract developments and strip malls you actually reside in - most of the time you'd have no idea when you leave one and enter another if the signage didn't change

It's all Phoenix
No it is not. Mesa is the 3rd largest city in the state and is completely separate from Phoenix. Only Phoenix and Tucson are more populous than Mesa in the state. It is about the 35th largest city in the US. It is larger than St. Louis, Miami, Atlanta, or Minneapolis, for example. Quit lumping everything together like other places. This isn’t Los Angeles or Chicago.

It can be included in the “Phoenix Metropolitan Area,” but is NOT Phoenix. When you say Phoenix it means the city of Phoenix, period.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Living in Portland, I was explaining to some friends that quite a bit of Cardinals fans live in St. Louis and Chicago in addition to Phoenix and they didnt buy it, so I'm curious what the ratio looks like on here.
I'm also in Portland, and I'm originally from the Chicagoland area, so let me know if you need some support on the topic!

I lived in Tempe off of Mill for a when I went to Roberto Venn School of Luthiery, but my Grandpa passed on the Cardinal Curse to me in the early '80s. He was a buyer for some company in Chicago when the Cards were there, and a lot of the players worked as salespeople during the offseason because their salaries didn't support them year round. He was a lifelong fan from then on.

Oh, and if people are offended by people being upset about the Cards here, they would have been appalled by grandpa screaming at the TV every game.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know there are few more of us BUT I voted....Chicago Cardinals, St. Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals, Arizona Cardinals. No matter what hat or hoddie I wear I Lose! Thank goodness for the Birds on the Bat....one a plenty there!!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
No it is not. Mesa is the 3rd largest city in the state and is completely separate from Phoenix. Only Phoenix and Tucson are more populous than Mesa in the state. It is about the 35th largest city in the US. It is larger than St. Louis, Miami, Atlanta, or Minneapolis, for example. Quit lumping everything together like other places. This isn’t Los Angeles or Chicago.

It can be included in the “Phoenix Metropolitan Area,” but is NOT Phoenix. When you say Phoenix it means the city of Phoenix, period.

Sorry, it and Glendale and Phoenix are the most Phoenix cities in Phoenix

The only reason why Mesa has population beyond a place like Gila Bend is that it's Phoenix

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Cave Creek is small but it is not Phoenix. Blasphemy.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Bluffton SC now in retirement however before that Harrisburg Pa by way of Falls Pa. a little hamlet outside of Scranton.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Haven’t been. I know where it’s at of course. We always talk about going, but typically are home bodies lol.
We may have crossed paths if you ever go to The Spurr lounge in Laveen. Good friends of ours that we go to the games with, live in Laveen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Only those that live in the Phoenix metro area break it down. No one else does. For all intents and purposes to anyone not in metro Phoenix area, mesa is Phoenix.

Just like all the greater metro regions of NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, etc etc

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
To be fair, Paradise Valley is mostly surrounded by Phoenix. Mesa does not border Phoenix. You must be the only family who lived in Paradise Valley who did not flaunt it. Props.
Meh when you literally can’t tell you’ve gone from one city/town/etc to another without a sign on the street “welcoming” you to a new city/town/etc it’s all one city imo. There may be better parts, worse parts, newer parts, older parts, but imo it’s all one city.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only those that live in the Phoenix metro area break it down. No one else does. For all intents and purposes to anyone not in metro Phoenix area, mesa is Phoenix.

Just like all the greater metro regions of NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, etc etc
For me, it's who I'm talking to. When I lived in Scottsdale (or Tempe or Walker or Tucson) I used the actual city if I was talking to someone from Arizona. But if I was talking to someone from the East Coast, I was from Phoenix or Arizona.

I live in Moreno Valley. If someone from any other state asks me where I live, I say Southern California. If anyone from OC or the LA area asks me, I'm from Moreno Valley or the Inland Empire. If it's someone from Northern California, I usually say Riverside.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For me, it's who I'm talking to. When I lived in Scottsdale (or Tempe or Walker or Tucson) I used the actual city if I was talking to someone from Arizona. But if I was talking to someone from the East Coast, I was from Phoenix or Arizona.

I live in Moreno Valley. If someone from any other state asks me where I live, I say Southern California. If anyone from OC or the LA area asks me, I'm from Moreno Valley or the Inland Empire. If it's someone from Northern California, I usually say Riverside.
I think that’s normal for any scenario. When talking with people familiar with an area you get more detailed. With those that are unfamiliar you reply with something they’ll identify.

For instance, if someone tells me they’re from Miami I just let it go. If they tell me they’re from Phoenix, or Chicago, or Boston I’ll ask them where as I’m familiar with those cities.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I think that’s normal for any scenario. When talking with people familiar with an area you get more detailed. With those that are unfamiliar you reply with something they’ll identify.

For instance, if someone tells me they’re from Miami I just let it go. If they tell me they’re from Phoenix, or Chicago, or Boston I’ll ask them where as I’m familiar with those cities.

Yep. When talking to someone from your area you can get into neighborhood, cross streets, "near the".

I'm from upstate NY ...... That's a whole different ball of wax