Draft Grade

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I give it a solid B at this point. But we won't until much later.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember when we all thought Hakeem Butler, the other Thompson and Johnson were steals? Or when the Rosen One was going to be QBOTF?

Draft grades are pointless.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a solid B. I don't think the edge rushers we drafted will be good enough to fill our biggest need on the team. We could supplement that with a FA pickup though.

We also didn't get any real IOL upgrades.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you would be posting Twitter links had this class been getting overwhelming positive reviews.

Then you would be wrong as usual. Seems to be getting B's widely but can't think of any more pointless.

I personally am unsure about many of the picks. Don't see Thomas as an OLB. Sanders doesn't seem to have much bend. Etc

But we will see.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how can you grade a draft if none of he players have played yet?
You grade the attempt to draft/fix holes in the team.
You grade the drafting of specific players, compared to their relative value. (Did they reach for a player? Did they get a steal?)
I thought it was understood.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably a solid B. I don't think the edge rushers we drafted will be good enough to fill our biggest need on the team. We could supplement that with a FA pickup though.

We also didn't get any real IOL upgrades.
“Trenches? What is that?” - Steve Keim.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You grade the attempt to draft/fix holes in the team.
You grade the drafting of specific players, compared to their relative value. (Did they reach for a player? Did they get a steal?)
I thought it was understood.
This is all true, and yet the grade at the end of the day is absolutely useless.

Fact is that plenty of drafts with high grades flop and plenty with low grades turn out to be great. The NFL is such a crapshoot when it comes to who will pan out and who won't.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is all true, and yet the grade at the end of the day is absolutely useless.

Fact is that plenty of drafts with high grades flop and plenty with low grades turn out to be great. The NFL is such a crapshoot when it comes to who will pan out and who won't.
If you want to look at it that way, this entire message board is useless.

It is something to talk about, and an interesting one at that.

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I've wondered the same thing about this message board

Attachments

• thinker.jpg
    thinker.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

There is plenty to talk about without even a mention of draft grades. That being said no one is suggesting that draft grades shouldn't be talked about, but more so that they shouldn't be taken very seriously because they have virtually no basis in how good the draft will pan out down the road.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
how can you grade a draft if none of he players have played yet?

You can't but you can do a return on investment chart.

What were the player's grade and positional ranking entering the draft and where did the Cards select a said player.

There's a graft out there showing the Cards were second to Carolina on ROI.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excerpts from one of The Athletic's articles on the draft:

First, regarding the methodology:
A study done by PFF evaluating the 2014 through 2019 NFL Draft classes found that the Consensus Big Board went nearly blow-for-blow with the NFL in evaluating how well prospects would go on to do. Add in the fact that most public boards do not attempt to control that much for positional value or fit and it’s remarkable that there have been portions of the draft where the consensus board has beaten the NFL in predicting player performance.

We’ll take the draft capital used by teams and divide it by the capital they earned over their picks, using a formula similar to the Jimmy Johnson trade chart and one that aligns closely with the recently formulated trade chart built on draft trades from the last five years via Rich Hill. This does not evaluate the draft trades teams made in part because it is difficult to figure out how to discount future picks or incorporate player-for-pick trades.

So this will just evaluate the selections made for the picks teams had.
They listed the top reaches and steals of the draft, and none of the Cardinals' picks made either list.

Then they ranked all 32 teams:
Adding up the values of all 262 draft picks, adjusting for need and positional value and calculating it as a percentage return on investment gives us the following chart:

2022 Consensus Board Draft Return
RANKTEAMCAPITALVALUENETROI
You must be registered for see images attach
Carolina Panthers
40015489.81488.8137.20%
Arizona Cardinals
3194.53976.8782.3124.50%
Kansas City Chiefs
64577870.21413.3121.90%
Seattle Seahawks
6600.27878.41278.2119.40%
Baltimore Ravens
80649374.81310.8116.30%
San Francisco 49ers
3827.43121.1-706.381.50%
Jacksonville Jaguars
6849.85452.1-1397.779.60%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4631.53599-1032.577.70%
Denver Broncos
4274.63135.1-1139.473.30%
Los Angeles Rams
2357.61608.1-749.568.20%
New England Patriots
5433.33402.2-2031.162.60%

...dave

Attachments

• 1651520086702.png
    1651520086702.png
    276.5 KB · Views: 3

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

My god! CardsSunsDbacks is right! What have we all been doing all these years?!? We should shut down ASFN and every other sports board that’s based on speculation, opinion, and arguing and do something productive for the world and society! May god have mercy on all of us!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My god! CardsSunsDbacks is right! What have we all been doing all these years?!? We should shut down ASFN and every other sports board that’s based on speculation, opinion, and arguing and do something productive for the world and society! May god have mercy on all of us!
Cool story, never said not to talk about it, but make your snarky comments anyways.

My issue is more with the seriousness that people often take from these draft grades. They really aren't something to be taken seriously, but if you want to use your time taking it seriously and have debates over than you do you.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie - There’s a difference between (a) shutting down all debate and (b) calling out the material containing faulty logic, inaccuracies or bias for or against the team merely to “fire for effect.”

Bottom Line - Criticize dumb or inaccurate content, but don’t ban it altogether.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie - There’s a difference between (a) shutting down all debate and (b) calling out the material containing faulty logic, inaccuracies or bias for or against the team merely to “fire for effect.”

Bottom Line - Criticize dumb or inaccurate content, but don’t ban it altogether.
He was clearly being facetious...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Cool story, never said not to talk about it, but make your snarky comments anyways.

My issue is more with the seriousness that people often take from these draft grades. They really aren't something to be taken seriously, but if you want to use your time taking it seriously and have debates over than you do you.
Then maybe don’t read the “Draft Grade” thread? Just a thought.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Eh when someone tells a bunch of posters what they are doing is “useless” it bothers me. Sorry, just the way I’m built.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Then you would be wrong as usual. Seems to be getting B's widely but can't think of any more pointless.

I personally am unsure about many of the picks. Don't see Thomas as an OLB. Sanders doesn't seem to have much bend. Etc

But we will see.
Sanders has very flexible ankles and is quick off the snap. He moves odd and is hard to set up a blocking angle on. I think he’ll be fine, but we’ll see

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should have drafted this guy, he has 4 arms.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media