One Last Draft Thought

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Some on the board felt McBride was chosen because Williams may not be ready early on. McBride certainly offers insurance, but actually he brings much more. He could easily be lined up in the slot or even wide. He’s not a deep threat, but he is a solid possession receiver. His catch and yardage totals indicate he simply set up at a place the TE usually starts from. It’s more play design than skill set. It may have helped with him getting softer coverage. He only scored 1 TD, so he’s not a breakaway threat.

You’ll like his style. He’s not afraid to go over the middle and he’s very strong at 50/50 balls. He’s a solid route runner who rarely drops throws. I expect the Cards to use 2 TE sets featuring him just to cause coverage nightmares for their opponents. Since McBride has the ability to get separation quickly, time to throw will be less of an issue.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He could easily be lined up in the slot or even wide. He’s not a deep threat, but he is a solid possession receiver.
Whom would you take off the field to make room for a rookie TE (which almost always suck):

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

I’m trying not to rain on peoples parade because it’s a long offseason and the darkness really arrived in another month, but this guy would be fortunate to see 30 targets this season.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Whom would you take off the field to make room for a rookie TE (which almost always suck):

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

I’m trying not to rain on peoples parade because it’s a long offseason and the darkness really arrived in another month, but this guy would be fortunate to see 30 targets this season.

I'd kick Green off the team just to never see him again. McBride can have his snaps

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

.....all those guys won't be on the field if we are showing run.
We can run 12 and still have five legit targets on the field.
He provides options.

But yeah, the TE position usually takes a few years to adapt to the nfl....have to wait and see.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

Green or Moore though I see roles for both but not on possession plays. McBride will surprise a bunch of people.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Green or Moore though I see roles for both but not on possession plays. McBride will surprise a bunch of people.
It’s very cute that people think that rookie McBride would be a better perimeter possession receiver than AJ Green.

EDIT: Rondale Moore lead all NFL receivers in catch rate last year.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

Last year we used 2 TE sets on 22% of all snaps despite Maxx going down very early. In 2020 it was 30%. It seems that depending on down/distance our offense prefers having one of the WR's leave the field for another TE. In 2021 Darrel Daniels had 254 snaps and Demetrius Harris had 210. If McBride is good he will have plenty of opportunities to see the field.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

I’d be happy to take any of those WR’s off the field when we are 12 and handing the ball off to Conner. None of our WR’s bring much in the blocking department.

I agree about him not seeing 30 targets but if he sees some of the wide open ones Williams saw two years ago when the D was selling out for the run, he could make some things happen.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't blocking is supposed to be one of his strong points?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Last year we used 2 TE sets on 22% of all snaps despite Maxx going down very early. In 2020 it was 30%. It seems that depending on down/distance our offense prefers having one of the WR's leave the field for another TE. In 2021 Darrel Daniels had 254 snaps and Demetrius Harris had 210. If McBride is good he will have plenty of opportunities to see the field.
Where are you getting these formation stats from? I have 27.6% in 2020 from Football Outsiders.

Regardless, I’m not taking about snaps; I’m taking about Targets.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where are you getting these formation stats from? I have 27.6% in 2020 from Football Outsiders.

Regardless, I’m not taking about snaps; I’m taking about Targets.
For groupings
For snap counts.

No idea how accurate they are I'm being very trusting.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

I think he's insurance against the health of Maxx and the age of ertz but I agree if those guys are relatively healthy it seems unlikely McBride plays often

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Another thing on McBride is Kyler REALLY likes throwing to his TEs. He made Maxx and Dan Arnold look productive and they never really showed that at other stops.
After my initial dislike of the move Im really warming up to it. As Blake Murphy said on twitter they are trying to recreate Kyler's OU offense.

Hopkins = Lamb
Hollywood = Hollywood
Ertz = Calcaterra
McBride = Lee Morris

Wont be the main offense obviously. However, he thrived with two TE's on the field in college. Although part of the issue was WR depth his last year in college.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
After my initial dislike of the move Im really warming up to it. As Blake Murphy said on twitter they are trying to recreate Kyler's OU offense.

Hopkins = Lamb
Hollywood = Hollywood
Ertz = Calcaterra
McBride = Lee Morris

Wont be the main offense obviously. However, he thrived with two TE's on the field in college. Although part of the issue was WR depth his last year in college.
He had Rambo as well, yes?

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

there is this aspect of football called "running the ball." You must be one of my fellow Gen Z'ers who hasn't seen much of that in the NFL.

While running, it is advantageous to have bigger bodied receivers who can block. Too big and they are an ineffective receiver. Too small and they are an ineffective blocker. They are often called "tight ends" and obscure the ability of the defense to determine what the offense wants to do.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
there is this aspect of football called "running the ball." You must be one of my fellow Gen Z'ers who hasn't seen much of that in the NFL.

While running, it is advantageous to have bigger bodied receivers who can block. Too big and they are an ineffective receiver. Too small and they are an ineffective blocker. They are often called "tight ends" and obscure the ability of the defense to determine what the offense wants to do.
If you read the original post thoroughly, you can see that the OP is talking about the value Trey McBride can add as a receiver in the slot and outside this season. That's what the original reaction is to.

And, honestly, LOL gotta run the ball. Hilarious.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Hopkins
Green
Ertz
Brown
Conner
Moore

Has to do with the opposition and the game plan. As well as down and distance.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For groupings
For snap counts.

No idea how accurate they are I'm being very trusting.
Thanks. This is great.

The Cards were slightly above-average in 12 personnel sets compared to the rest of the NFL (22% vs 21%). We were WAY above averaged in 4WR sets (10 personnel) -- 13% compared to 2% around the league and 8% for the next-most-frequent (NYJ).

We also SUCKED running the ball out of 12 personnel. We ran it 54% of the time for a 2.9% YPC average. Only 45% of those run plays were successful.

We were slightly better with Ertz and without Williams from Weeks 10-17 -- 3.2 YPC and but 40% success rate.

Yuck.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't understand. Who is a bust, Moore or McBride?

Neither right now. I'm just trying to manage expectation here/live in the real world.

I have real doubts Rondale Moore gets more targets in 2022 than he did last year -- and the trade for Brown makes it fairly obvious that the Cards don't plan on relying on him more, either. Stings to spend that much draft capital on another gadget player.

I have no idea about McBride, but I don't expect much from any drafted TE -- especially in their rookie seasons. Is McBride a better prospect that Cole Kmet was two years ago? Noah Fant? Neither of those guys did much their rookie seasons to make a difference in the W/L column.