UDFA- signings

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Why call them losers? That's pretty harsh and lame.
I base it on if they have any chance to make the roster. There were good folks out there but these 3 will not contribute. They just camp bodies. I don’t like teams bringing in guys with no chance, it’s deceptive.

There is one interesting guy on this longer list. JaVonta Payton. I only saw him once but he’s very quick. The problem is he was rarely targeted by any team he played for after JUCO. I don’t understand why the Cards didn’t do better. The early picks indicated the draft was well scouted. I guess they didn’t want to pay for long shots. I know picks at this level rarely contribute, but this was an inordinately poor effort.

probably too harsh a word for them but not for the Cards for the first 3 signed

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I base it on if they have any chance to make the roster. There were good folks out there but these 3 will not contribute. They just camp bodies. I don’t like teams bringing in guys with no chance, it’s deceptive.

There is one interesting guy on this longer list. JaVonta Payton. I only saw him once but he’s very quick. The problem is he was rarely targeted by any team he played for after JUCO. I don’t understand why the Cards didn’t do better. The early picks indicated the draft was well scouted. I guess they didn’t want to pay for long shots. I know picks at this level rarely contribute, but this was an inordinately poor effort.

probably too harsh a word for them but not for the Cards for the first 3 signed
The Rod Graves and Ferguson era Cardinals routinely grabbed a number of the best UDFAs. How did that turn out? :)

Reaction score
Its more possible to find a good player among udfa then from guys drafted in later rounds
I sorry, but this statement literally makes no sense; being as all the UFDA are included in the group of those available in the later rounds of the draft.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sorry, but this statement literally makes no sense; being as all the UFDA are included in the group of those available in the later rounds of the draft.
Cause many Un-drafted free agents are less scrutinized coming from small programs, so some of them has the talent to excell but couldn't show off for a reason or another
Can u name guys drafted by Cardinals late in the draft (6/7 rounds) that have had even a minimal impact?? Dogbe, meh...? I remember Stephens Howling
Un-drafted guys
Tony Jefferson
Gardeck
Jaron Brown
Even seals Jones gave some contributions
Sherfield good Special team player

Last edited:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cause many Un-drafted free agents are less scrutinized coming from small programs, so some of them has the talent to excell but couldn't show off for a reason or another
Can u name guys drafted by Cardinals late in the draft (6/7 rounds) that have had even a minimal impact?? Dogbe, meh...? I remember Stephens Howling
Un-drafted guys
Tony Jefferson
Gardeck
Jaron Brown
Even seals Jones gave some contributions
Sherfield good Special team player
Antoine Wesley as well.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bummer!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Another “no brainer”. If the guy has first round talent and no character concerns, why wouldn’t you take a chance as an UDFA or even a 7th rounder. Smart teams take the chance. It worked out for KC with Tyreek, although his issues were more character related. Wouldn’t be surprised if this worked out for them.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another “no brainer”. If the guy has first round talent and no character concerns, why wouldn’t you take a chance as an UDFA or even a 7th rounder. Smart teams take the chance. It worked out for KC with Tyreek, although his issues were more character related. Wouldn’t be surprised if this worked out for them.
He may also have picked KC over other teams with their glaring hole from trading Hill. KC is a great landing spots if he's healthy now.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He may also have picked KC over other teams with their glaring hole from trading Hill. KC is a great landing spots if he's healthy now.
Which is even more of a reason to take a flyer on these kind of guys in the 7th round. If these guys truly have 1st round talent but drop for some reason or another, take a chance on them in the 7th. I would rather they did that then draft some random G or CB that will probably never see the field.
I said the same thing a few years back about that OL Collins from LSU that dropped on draft day. I said we should have just drafted him in the 7th to retain his rights regardless how the situation turned out. He turned out to be a fairly decent Olinmen. I believe he just got a second contract now with the Bengals.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good luck to him. I hope he makes it.
I love the Hayes pick, but this is why I would have taken a flyer on him with one of our other late picks.

I know he could easily wash out, but I get the feeling the Chiefs got a gift. Could have easily seen him as the eventual AJ Green replacement in 2023. Oh well.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is a sad case but he has one of the worst medical conditions I’ve seen. No one wants to see what the end result will be. Several teams had him red flagged.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a sad case but he has one of the worst medical conditions I’ve seen. No one wants to see what the end result will be. Several teams had him red flagged.
It is sad and a serious injury risk for him. He shouldn't be playing footbal.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It’s why the ncaa rule is bull. This young man would’ve been a first round pick after his freshman season. He should already be a millionaire with the ability to retire comfortably from Football…

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s why the ncaa rule is bull. This young man would’ve been a first round pick after his freshman season. He should already be a millionaire with the ability to retire comfortably from Football…
Ross has a congenital defect, not an injury like a blown Achilles tendon or similar, so I don't get what you are saying.

His condition is Klippel-Feil syndrome, which is a congenital condition in the spine where vertebrae are fused together. This condition and his recovery from the surgery to repair it would cost Ross his entire 2020 season. The surgery involved the complete removal of a disc in his neck and stabilization of the joint. He would return to play in the 2021 season, but he was not his former self in terms of production.

No player diagnosed with Klippel-Feil syndrome has ever been cleared for play at the NFL level, due to the risk of a catastrophic injury. According to Dr. Jessica Flynn, “because the flexibility and shape of the neck [has been] altered, even minor neck trauma could cause pressure on the spinal cord.”

With this in mind, one has to wonder why he was ever cleared to return to play at Clemson. Even with the advances of modern medical technology, head and spinal cord injuries are still among the most dangerous and career threatening within football. If even minor trauma can cause catastrophic injury to the spinal cord, then continuing to play for Clemson was undoubtedly against Ross’ best interests.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Ross has a congenital defect, not an injury like a blown Achilles tendon or similar, so I don't get what you are saying.

His condition is Klippel-Feil syndrome, which is a congenital condition in the spine where vertebrae are fused together. This condition and his recovery from the surgery to repair it would cost Ross his entire 2020 season. The surgery involved the complete removal of a disc in his neck and stabilization of the joint. He would return to play in the 2021 season, but he was not his former self in terms of production.

No player diagnosed with Klippel-Feil syndrome has ever been cleared for play at the NFL level, due to the risk of a catastrophic injury. According to Dr. Jessica Flynn, “because the flexibility and shape of the neck [has been] altered, even minor neck trauma could cause pressure on the spinal cord.”

With this in mind, one has to wonder why he was ever cleared to return to play at Clemson. Even with the advances of modern medical technology, head and spinal cord injuries are still among the most dangerous and career threatening within football. If even minor trauma can cause catastrophic injury to the spinal cord, then continuing to play for Clemson was undoubtedly against Ross’ best interests.
He suffered a neck injury, I believe, his sophomore year which led to the discovery of the problem.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love the Hayes pick, but this is why I would have taken a flyer on him with one of our other late picks.

I know he could easily wash out, but I get the feeling the Chiefs got a gift. Could have easily seen him as the eventual AJ Green replacement in 2023. Oh well.
I think you need to search up his medical condition & how bad it really is. I’ll be shocked if he makes the main roster. That said, I’ll be rooting for him.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He suffered a neck injury, I believe, his sophomore year which led to the discovery of the problem.
He has a congenital spine neck problem, wasn't a injury, he went through a particular surgery, previously they said he could risk his life playing
He didn't quit, he wanted to play football again but i guess teams don't want this risk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose