Draft Grade

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Factoring in the trades when evaluating the use of this year's draft choices, I'd give the Cards a solid "A" for their talent collection. I think they will get significant playing time contributions from at least five players, which is outstanding: Hollywood Brown with the 1st, Trey McBride with the 2nd, Thomas or Sanders with the 3rds, Marco Wilson with the 4th, and Zach Ertz with the 5th.

First Round - Hollywood Brown
Second Round - Trey McBride
Third Round - Cameron Thomas and Myjai Sanders
Fourth Round - Marco Wilson
Fifth Round - Zach Ertz

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
As I said in another post, draft grades are like grading a history paper where the history has not even happened yet. One is compelled to offer a grade but for the most part any guy getting drafted by a professional team obviously has some traits which makes them athletically/mentally one of the few who get a chance to live the dream. So, I will not offer any grade for the Cards or any other team for that matter... especially if it's me being entrusted to critique talent after thinking Leinart or Rosen was a great selection lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Warren Sharp had some stats that said relative to expected value -- the Cards finished 8th overall

what it says is that the Cards drafted players either at the expected draft position, or, later than they were expected to go

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hollywood Brown A- (over 1000 yards with Jackson at half service and missing two games in a system not widereceivers friendly, best linemen receivers all gone before pick 23)
Mcbride B+ great prospect but other imminent needs
Cameron thomas B- good prospect, but competition?
Sanders B+ fast and even if he looks slender can disingage from blockers using well his hand, need to get stronger
Ingram B underrated, 2 mediocre years in Texas, dropped some weight at usc and he looked different , good vision nice cuts maintaining acceleration, great agility for being 220, he can catch the football too
Lecitus Smith B+ many experts graded him round 4/5
Matthews D cb from Valdosta with the age of 26, still learning how to play the position... Good lenght btw
Luketa C - testing and production mediocre at best
Hayes B+ same of Smith

Overall B

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hollywood Brown A- (over 1000 yards with Jackson at half service abd missing two games in a system not widereceivers friendly, best linemen receivers all gone before pick 23)
Mcbride B+ great prospect but other imminent needs
Cameron thomas B- good prospect but competition?
Sanders B+ fast and even if he looks slender can disingage from blockers using well his hand, need to get stronger
Ingram B underrated, 2 mediocre years in Texas, dropped some weight at usc and he looked anither player, good vision nice cuts and agility, he can catch the football,
Lecitus Smith B+ many experts graded him round 4/5
Matthews D cb from Valdosta with the age of 26, still learning how to play the position... Good lenght btw
Luketa C - testing and production mediocre at best
Hayes B+ same of Smith

Overall B
That's about what I think as well. No pick blows me away, but none were terrible. I wouldn't even give Matthews a D, because if they are looking at him as a gunner and he fills that role, that's a win in round 7.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am always positive about the Cards after the draft and every time give them an A+ grade. Then reality sets in during the season and I wonder why the heck they drafted this player. Bottom line is they are getting my usual A+ grade. :thewave:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I am always positive about the Cards after the draft and every time give them an A+ grade. Then reality sets in during the season and I wonder why the heck they drafted this player. Bottom line is they are getting my usual A+ grade. :thewave:
Well you can't grade less.

If it got that bad after an A+,..... holy crap how bad would it be after a C- ?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Was not moving up for Cam Jurgens is what kept it from a B or not getting back a 2nd round pick for Hollywood? (or maybe one of their 4ths to go with the 3rd)
Overpaid way too much for Hollywood & I also hate the continued negligence of using our premium picks on OL.

I will say I do like the McBride pick more than I initially did.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Overpaid way too much for Hollywood & I also hate the continued negligence of using our premium picks on OL.

I will say I do like the McBride pick more than I initially did.
Im warming up to it as well. However, a part of me thinks we'll be like Eagles fans wondering why the younger, more explosive, better blocking TE isn't on the field more because of Ertz.

Hollywood truly depends on if the Ravens system was truly holding him back or not. If he looks like prime Desean Jackson then its a win.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im warming up to it as well. However, a part of me thinks we'll be like Eagles fans wondering why the younger, more explosive, better blocking TE isn't on the field more because of Ertz.

Hollywood truly depends on if the Ravens system was truly holding him back or not. If he looks like prime Desean Jackson then its a win.
Its hard to get 1000 yards for a wr in Baltimore
Check the stats since Lamar Jackson become the starter
Last wr was Wallace getting 1013 yards in 2016 only Brown reached the 1000 mark( wr)

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

McBride isn't going to do much for a while. Takes even high pick TEs a year min to adjust.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Last wr was Wallace getting 1013 yards in 2016 only Brown reached the 1000 mark( wr)
While true they were far more aggressive throwing the ball this year compared to previous years. Lamar was on pace to throw for 4500 yards at one point.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too many unpredictables to support any forecasts.

That said, we may have traded for the wrong Brown and could still use more depth at Tall-WR, OL and EDGE.

Or not.

We moved to fill in holes at RB, TE, OL, EDGE/ and CB but won’t know for awhile, which guys, if any, are depth guys, starters or stars.

So for the time being, I’ll leave us somewhere between a C+ and a B-.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
I always look for grades from national sources because I don’t know enough to figure a grade on something I know so little about. I’m a fan, not a GM. I’ve seen grades from B to B- to D-. My guess is that some of the ones drafted will do ok, others won’t. Personally I like the tight end who was taken on the second day. I would have focused on offensive line to open homes for our backs and defensive positions because the Cards couldn’t stop much last year. But, again, I’m not a GM.

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
First 8 games of last year, Brown had nearly 700 yds and 6 TD's before the Ravens' wheels fell off (Jackson was hurt for a few games too). I think our system will be much more "friendly" for his type of game.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Looking today at a couple of grades from Prisco (CBS Sports) and Chad Reuter (NFL.com) we got a C- from Prisco and an A- from Reuter. Other sites say the Brown trade was one of the best moves of the draft, others hated the move. Later rounds we drafted were throwaways while others say we might have a couple of starters from the later rounds. At least it's not like years past where they were given anywhere from a C to an F....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose